East Fife v Lanarkshires Finest League Cup second round

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't actually give a flying f**k if we were lucky to go through or not we're in the next round and that's all that matters. And it's nice to be through for once given how abysmal our cup record has been in recent history.

If I was a Motherwell fan I would be very worried they were out played all over the park for much of that game. It wasn't till we tired and the full time training began to show. Motherwell defence never had an answer to Fash as he ripped them a new one time after time. A very well taken goal as well. Motherwell midfield very poor created the square root of zero for 80 minutes. Any way good luck in your pursuit of spl survival but on that showing out played by a 2nd division team I cant see that it is possible with that squad of players.

Great performance from East Fife.

Fash was outstanding tonight and well deserved applause from both sets of fans.

Thought last ten mins of extra Motherwell started finding the gaps and passing and moving nicely....I still giggled when some fans pitch envaded and one Well fan celebrated with the players when they got their third.

Well done to Well and all the best in the next round, I also thought they brought a good vocal atmosphere

Gonna be hard to keep Fash, gotta be a few teams watching him

Motherwell were awful til East Fife players tired around 70th min - so many misplaced passes. Austin was brilliant. Got standing ovation from Well fans. Glad East Fife never resorted to long ball or dirty tactics - played their game and caused major problems for Well defence. Think Naysmith should have made subs earlier though. Waited til Well equalised and after that there was only one winner.

Well done Motherwell although the 1-3 scoreline flatters to deceive.

We understandably tired after 80 mins and apart from a few good efforts in 1st half of extra time, the difference in fitness was obvious for all to see and the Well just edged what was a thoroughly enjoyable game.

Had Fash's 2nd goal stood I couldn't see a way back for Motherwell, as over the 90 mins East Fife were the better side.

Felt our keeper made a mess of the equaliser tbh but hey ho.

Lots to be optimistic about as it looks as though Naysmith has put together a really good side. A proper team who work for each other. Big, powerful and plenty of skill. Really enjoyed watching that tonight and been a long time coming.

Good luck in the next round Motherwell.

3-1. Never in any doubt tbh.

Yes indeed, well deserved congratulations on taking the League Two team to extra time after attempting to kick the shit out of them for the first 90 and still going behind, your pitch invasions at your winning goal were thoroughly deserved!!! ;)

^^^ seething and sobbing uncontrollably.

Hardly that, mostly disappointed really, tbh, I thought if we were going to win it, it would have to be in the 90 minutes, extra time I thought would be a step too far and so it proved, we played well, very well in fact, we deserved our lead and if you were actually at the game I'm sure you would agree, I'm sure you would also agree that if our second had stood, you were out, I personally think it WAS offside but many around me disagreed so I'll wait for the highlights, I'm also really disappointed in the final scoreline, as Stevo said it really does flatter to deceive!!!

The most pleasing thing for us to take from the game is that any neutral watching would have been hard pressed to tell who wasThe Premiership side and who was the team from three divisions below them, that and the fact that the boys still competed well in the extra half hour, not as well as they did in the previous 90 however, but still they tried to play and not roll over, the only worry I have from that is how it is going to effect us on Saturday at Queens Park, tonights 120 minutes I'm sure will have an effect on our perfrmance at Hampden, but hey at least one of us will be there this season!!! :P

Anyway congratulations to Motherwell and good luck in the next round, and again I have to highlight two of the Classiest acts of the evening...

Class Act No.1 - Motherwell fans joining in the standing ovation for Nahan "Fash" Austin when he was subbed!!!

Class Act No.2 - Motherwell Manager Ian Baraclough going out of his way to shake the hand of every East Fife player at the final whistle!!!

Well done!!!

And just so the Motherwell fans don't feel left out and can connect with their players, here you go...

_85188983_austin.jpg

It's the same view of Fash that your defence had of him for the majority of the evening!!! ;)

In fairness I had the fear as soon as I heard the teamline. Genuinely thought there was a more than fair chance of us going out and by all accounts, result aside, it sounds like the game went as I thought it would.

For what it's worth much of that fear was based on us putting out a back four who have never played a competitive game together and it sounds like it showed.

All in all though, given our recent cup record (not to mention our form in general) I'll take the result.

Yes indeed, well deserved congratulations on taking the League Two team to extra time after attempting to kick the shit out of them for the first 90 and still going behind, your pitch invasions at your winning goal were thoroughly deserved!!! ;)

Hardly that, mostly disappointed really, tbh, I thought if we were going to win it, it would have to be in the 90 minutes, extra time I thought would be a step too far and so it proved, we played well, very well in fact, we deserved our lead and if you were actually at the game I'm sure you would agree, I'm sure you would also agree that if our second had stood, you were out, I personally think it WAS offside but many around me disagreed so I'll wait for the highlights, I'm also really disappointed in the final scoreline, as Stevo said it really does flatter to deceive!!!

The most pleasing thing for us to take from the game is that any neutral watching would have been hard pressed to tell who wasThe Premiership side and who was the team from three divisions below them, that and the fact that the boys still competed well in the extra half hour, not as well as they did in the previous 90 however, but still they tried to play and not roll over, the only worry I have from that is how it is going to effect us on Saturday at Queens Park, tonights 120 minutes I'm sure will have an effect on our perfrmance at Hampden, but hey at least one of us will be there this season!!! :P

Anyway congratulations to Motherwell and good luck in the next round, and again I have to highlight two of the Classiest acts of the evening...

Class Act No.1 - Motherwell fans joining in the standing ovation for Nahan "Fash" Austin when he was subbed!!!

Class Act No.2 - Motherwell Manager Ian Baraclough going out of his way to shake the hand of every East Fife player at the final whistle!!!

Well done!!!

Agree with class act 1 and 2. Nice touch.

Good vocal support from Motherwell fans who could teach our lot a bit about drumming.

Just in from the night manoeuvres in Methil and East Fife will feel unlucky to have lost that - they were unquestionably the best team over the 90 mins but the late equaliser killed them as they had nothing left in the tank for extra time and it could have been a couple more in the end which would have been unfair.

Our lack of a midfield was exposed again tonight and this time against a lower division team which shows what needs to be done before the window closes. When we did (very occasionally) get the ball to the forwards, we did nothing with it until the closing stages.

The big East Fife striker deserved his ovation at the end (very rare for us to applaud an opposition player off incidentally) - he bullied our centre halfs the entire night and it was a relief when he went off.

On that tonight, I don't fancy us against anyone in the next round - and it still points to a loooong season in the league unless we can get a midfielder in..

Lastly - really enjoyed the trip tonight - a new ground to visit, a nice summers night, had a few beers in the upstairs bar at the ground, lots of friendly EF types about and we didn't even to leave the bar to go to the turnstyles - we went straight into the stand - magnificent :) Good luck for the rest of the season - looks like the makings of a good team there...

Extremely lucky to come through that.

In the end it was more comfortable - by end I mean last 10 minutes of normal time and ET. Up to that point East Fife were the better team and were deservedly winning.

Bringing on Dom and Skippy made a difference.

The Fash as he is called was a nuisance all night and gave our defence a torrid time, that said so could my 100 year old granny !!!

Just relieved to get through, but it was not a good omen of the season to come.

Sorry to hear if there was any trouble. No need for that if true. There was not a bad atmosphere all night apart from Well fans on to their own team and Manager !!!!

Good luck East Fife in your promotion push this season.

Archived