Raith v Accies

Can only echo what other's have said. We were sitting far too deep and allowing Accies so much time and space that their goal was inevitable. It also had to be Nade!

The double change made all the difference and full credit to McKinnon. What a difference from Murray!

I actually thought Wighton made the biggest difference. Came on and was outstanding. He looks like a different player since that goal against Alloa and it's great to see the lad playing with a bit of confidence.

Also a mention to Davo. I can admit I had my doubts about his signing but he was immense on Saturday and fantastic tonight. There were times when we were sitting deep and putting no pressure on the ball and he'd take it upon himself to drive forward and try to get a bit of energy about the team. MOTM in my opinion.

Only downside was the crowd. Under 1500 is a disappointment especially given the ticket prices for tonight but I suppose people are still thinking of what it's been like the past 3-4 years. Us who go week in week out need to start spreading the word that the Rovers is actually getting enjoyable to watch now and hopefully the crowds will start to go up. The team on the pitch are now doing their job, we need to start doing us. Having said that with the atmosphere at the end you'd be forgiven for thinking there was an extra 1000 sitting in the South Stand.

Bring on another team at the Fortress for the next round!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SFA will be asking Wighton to piss in the cup after that display, only on for 20 minutes yet he covered the whole pitch and ripped the pish out of the Accies at every turn, now give us 90 minutes Craig.

Agree with this, Craig was superb when he came on.

McCord's pressing of the Accies defence and midfield high up the pitch was excellent and he kept at it for 90 minutes. Tremendous shift and his fitness is coming on great. Great delivery for the winning goal too.

Special mentions to Cuthbert and Toshney, who was immense and was throwing himself in front of everything. He needed to as I thought Bene was pretty slack tonight and struggled against Nade in the air which was strange. Fair bit of indecisiveness in defence at times as well.

Great win though. Killie at home would do nicely as a winnable tie. Don't think there's really a payday to be had at this stage of the competition as the crowds are pish everywhere.

Some fucking idiot behind us kept on giving McCord pelters……McCord was running the show and wanted the ball constantly some of our fans would not know a player if he kicked them in the balls...

Sounds like the decision to go out for the sister-in-laws birthday dinner rather than than the game was the correct one.I see Canning has adopted The AlexNeil/Billy Reid "don't give a fcuk about cup competitions" approach.At least it shows some of the fringe players are not up to the job.This game for me was always a stick on for a home win against a Raith side revitalised this season.Best of luck for the rest of the cup.

I wonder why I bother sometimes. We should just gone for it and have made wholesale changes to the team and given the likes of brophy and Martin a run out at least they would have got 90 minutes of competitive action

On this performance Hearts who made 7 changes tonight will rip us a new one.

Just me that thought the 2nd was an own goal?

Thought so too but I was as far away as you could be lol.

Canning's tactics were way off. We really missed Gillespie in the holding role and played with 3 central midfielders that like going forward which is always going to leave us exposed.

Our lack of cutting edge was criminal too considering our goal and Cuthbert's only difficult save (Jesus' free-kick) came from set-pieces.

Two awful goals to concede too.

Can only echo what other's have said. We were sitting far too deep and allowing Accies so much time and space that their goal was inevitable. It also had to be Nade!

The double change made all the difference and full credit to McKinnon. What a difference from Murray!

I actually thought Wighton made the biggest difference. Came on and was outstanding. He looks like a different player since that goal against Alloa and it's great to see the lad playing with a bit of confidence.

Also a mention to Davo. I can admit I had my doubts about his signing but he was immense on Saturday and fantastic tonight. There were times when we were sitting deep and putting no pressure on the ball and he'd take it upon himself to drive forward and try to get a bit of energy about the team. MOTM in my opinion.

Only downside was the crowd. Under 1500 is a disappointment especially given the ticket prices for tonight but I suppose people are still thinking of what it's been like the past 3-4 years. Us who go week in week out need to start spreading the word that the Rovers is actually getting enjoyable to watch now and hopefully the crowds will start to go up. The team on the pitch are now doing their job, we need to start doing us. Having said that with the atmosphere at the end you'd be forgiven for thinking there was an extra 1000 sitting in the South Stand.

Bring on another team at the Fortress for the next round!

Agree with all of this. Great result, good management and great atmosphere in the last 20 minutes.

Daly and in particular Wighton made a huge difference after they came on and added the spark we needed to add to a solid defensive performance.

Clueless Canning at it again , outfought and outplayed by Raith , Goalie missing at both goals(will forgive as he has been great but not tonight), defence a shambles , midfield garbage and a lump of lard up front , whats this piss of trying to pass it out from the defence , get it forward like Raith did . Feel sorry for Ally Crawford who at least tried to make something happen .

Another half hearted display in the Cup .

Good luck to Rovers in the next round .

Another great post-match interview from McKinnon. You can see his is buzzing after that win and the self-belief flowing through our team just is fantastic.

Just watched this as well. Great to see that sort of enthusiasm. He comes across superbly.

Stands out for me that McKinnon made a change tonight which was, objectively, a gamble. Even if it hadn't worked, at least he had tried something different to get us back into the game and put some pressure back on Hamilton.

Grant Murray, on the other hand, would've subbed Stewart for Daly or Wighton with 15mins to go.

Such changes won't always work, but I'm glad McKinnon isn't just going to make like for like changes when things aren't going well.

Oh Dear.

When are we going to learn that hopeful punts up to a lone striker are never going to work? The first half was brutal for this, and even on the odd occasion where Nade did get on the end of if there was nobody there to get on the end of his knock on. We are always at our most effective when playing it on the deck, and this long ball nonsense completely takes our two most creative players in Crawford and Kurtaj out of the game.

Second half was a slight improvement but our decision making in the final third was atrocious. Going for cute little passes and flicks over the defence when the simple option would have worked, and don't even get me started on Imrie's baffling decision not to play it out wide for Crawford in acres of space towards the end. Nade was guilty of something similar earlier in the half too, both times leading to possession being lost from a promising scenario.

Lastly; We're a goal down with ten minutes to go. Our Best striker is languishing on the bench. Why in the name of f*ck didn't Canning throw him on and go for broke?!

Yet again, complete indifference shown towards a cup competition.

Oh Dear.

When are we going to learn that hopeful punts up to a lone striker are never going to work? The first half was brutal for this, and even on the odd occasion where Nade did get on the end of if there was nobody there to get on the end of his knock on. We are always at our most effective when playing it on the deck, and this long ball nonsense completely takes our two most creative players in Crawford and Kurtaj out of the game.

Second half was a slight improvement but our decision making in the final third was atrocious. Going for cute little passes and flicks over the defence when the simple option would have worked, and don't even get me started on Imrie's baffling decision not to play it out wide for Crawford in acres of space towards the end. Nade was guilty of something similar earlier in the half too, both times leading to possession being lost from a promising scenario.

Lastly; We're a goal down with ten minutes to go. Our Best striker is languishing on the bench. Why in the name of f*ck didn't Canning throw him on and go for broke?!

Yet again, complete indifference shown towards a cup competition.

This. Unbelievable not to make a late change.

First half we were slow and pathetic. 2nd half was a bit better and we looked quicker and sharper but the quality was awful.

Crawford and Kurtaj looked OK but the rest were poor.

Archived