Prague

JohnnyDougDogg

This might well end in tears, but go to a pub called, rather imaginatively, The Pub. There are 2 in Prague and they are also dotted round Central Europe.

Basically, it's an ordinary pub, but you can pour your own beer at your own tables from a couple of taps. A scoreboard on the wall lets you see how much beer you've drunk compared to all the other tables. And your pub is also "competing" against all the other pubs in the chain.

I wonder if that idea would catch on here?

This might well end in tears, but go to a pub called, rather imaginatively, The Pub. There are 2 in Prague and they are also dotted round Central Europe.

Basically, it's an ordinary pub, but you can pour your own beer at your own tables from a couple of taps. A scoreboard on the wall lets you see how much beer you've drunk compared to all the other tables. And your pub is also "competing" against all the other pubs in the chain.

You can just imagine folk demolishing their fresh out the brewery Pilsner Urquells in Prague seething at the competition in Glasgow who have managed one more pint of Tennents than them.

That said, what we could really do with is one of those Czech style howffs where the staff just automatically bring you a new pint when they see you're running low, adding another to the table tab. No fcuking spirits etc, just one good beer on tap. Oh, and served by the litre too, none of this pint nonsense.

Going to Prague this weekend with 20 or so lads for a stag. Whos all been? Whats best places to go? You know with touristy stuff n that obviously......

Any recommendations?

Get those photos of your bird posted or do one.

It's a pointless fad in a country like the Czech Republic, and is largely a tourist trap, Go to a proper pub instead.

That said, what we could really do with is one of those Czech style howffs where the staff just automatically bring you a new pint when they see you're running low, adding another to the table tab. No fcuking spirits etc, just one good beer on tap. Oh, and served by the litre too, none of this pint nonsense.

Erm, nobody drinks draught beer by the litre measure in the Czech Republic, nor even in Germany in any serious way. So if you're drinking it in a pub in Prague then the staff will be laughing at the idiot tourist who thinks that they're in Munich.

And they probably spat in the beer as well tbh.

Oh, and served by the litre too, none of this pint nonsense.

Have had 10 holiday in Prague since 2003 and have never had or even seen anyone have a litre of beer. Like vT, I only go to proper pubs and avoid the tourist traps like the plague.

It's a pointless fad in a country like the Czech Republic, and is largely a tourist trap, Go to a proper pub instead.

Agreed, although in my defence, it was Czech people that brought us there. Perhaps, they thought I wanted to follow the Scottish custom of drinking myself comatose.

Not really the best place for a stag do anyway, since it was very cockheavy.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to Prague this weekend with 20 or so lads for a stag. Whos all been? Whats best places to go? You know with touristy stuff n that obviously......

Any recommendations?

Probably Wiensless square if it's a stag do , that's the 'red light' bit.

But don't expect the police to put up with a bunch of arsehole on a stag do, they've cleaned that shit up, so, anywhere in the old town at night will be heaving , if you want something a bit classier try Black Angles Bar , it's down stairs in the hotel U Prince in the main square.

Wenceslas Square is the worst place to go, Duplex is the big club there which is full off guys, not from Prague wondering why there is no women there. The strip clubs or "Cabaret" bars there are a waste of money, I used to have to host visiting colleagues for the company I work for and ended up there a few times scudding drinks at £10 a go on expenses while they paid £40 for a lapdance

My picks would be

http://www.harleys.cz/Ignore the fancy dress w**k on the page, its normally packed every week, drink is not expensive and it plays decent music, word of warning though, there is very little tolerance of stag dos trying to make a move on local girls.

http://www.chapeaurouge.cz/Reminds me of Sleazies in Glasgow a bit, if you are on a stag do, don't go here, you wont be welcome

http://www.labodeguitadelmedio.cz/?lang=enCuban bar, difficult to get in to as it is normally rammed at the weekends, do good food as well

Other than that, just local bars, you'll pay 30% of what you'll pay in some Irish and tourist bars, Most will shut early unless you find a Herna bar, if a pub has a puggy/pool table it will have an entertainments license and be open 24 hours, if you are on a stag do then you want to get a hotel next to one of these.

If a club is popular with Czech folk then you have to be on your best behavior, much the same as if some non-locals came to your town, were dicks and started propositioning women, there will be tension. If you are arrested you will probably be fined on the spot, if you don't have your passport you will be held until your passport arrives at the station you are at and you will be fined for not carrying your national ID

Irish bars are geared towards stag parties as are places like http://www.m-bar.cz/but they will charge more.

Found a bar not far from the old town square where they were serving Staropramen for 82p a pint and stone baked pizzas were £2.50. Spent the Friday afternoon there at £9 a round nobody was complaining.

Found another bar about 200m along the same street and it was £3 for a Schooner. Chapeu Rouge was underneath our apartments and was mobbed at about 3am the first time I walked past it - seemed a decent bar but never went in.

Have to say, what a cracking city, will probably go back with the Mrs at some point and do the touristy long weekend rather than spending 2 days on the Slivovitz and Staropramen and hiding away from the 39degree heat.

Archived