http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Quite a cute app designed to show the effects of throwing nukes at places.

Well I hit Edinburgh with a Trident warhead (it airburst about 200ft above princes street - f**k the tourists) and killed 130,000 people, flattened most buildings in a 3km radius not to mention the 380 metre radius fireball. Anyone left alive after the initial firestorm/over pressure event were killed by a radioactivity in the 1000 rem range out to a radius of 0.84 km, even 1.11km away you only have between a 10% and 50% chance of survival from radiation. You would have 3rd degree burns over 50% of your body up to 4.8 km away.

Really quite interesting tool. Have fun, blow shit up. The trident warhead is actually a pretty small yield (100 kT), considering. You can manually change the yield, or pick from historical weapons all the way up to the Soviet Tsar Bomba (50MT as built, designed for 100MT) which would vaporise most of the Clyde valley.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used the Tsar Bomba on Ibrox. I then discovered that would probably backfire in real life.

I tried dropping the 100 mt one on Glasgow too - if it was used IRL the only grounds left standing in Scotland would be Brora Rangers and Wick Academy.

Maybe.

I tried dropping the 100 mt one on Glasgow too - if it was used IRL the only grounds left standing in Scotland would be Brora Rangers and Wick Academy.

Maybe.

Brora still wouldn't want promotion.

Forgot to mention the 100 ft hole I put in the middle of Edinburgh. Multiple launch is interesting, if you compile a big list of all the things you'd want to explode to knock out the UK, using trident warheads got to about 5,000,000 dead across the UK once I'd blown up Faslane, Grangemouth, all the big airports, train hubs (bye, bye Birmingham) military bases, major ports.... you'd think you could do the job with just a few of these things, but you soon realise why the Soviets (and Americans) built so bloody many.

Was thinking of the likely targets in Scotland today, military and civilian and I was thinking it would be a NATO/Warsaw Pact scenario and came up with the following.

Number one target in the whole of the UK remains Faslane, it has the largest warhead concentration in Western Europe IIRC.

Then I would expect....

Glasgow,

Edinburgh,

Aberdeen,

Lossiemouth,

I debated Leuchars, but I'm unsure if it would be a target these days. If one was launched at the place, it certainly would also take out Dundee, hence I haven't put it the list.

I would also expect a multi-strike against Faslane, both an airburst to flatten facilities and a surface strike to dig out the bunkers and missile dump.

I don't think they would bother with the likes of 45 Marines at Condor, no point as the troops would have in all likelihood have already been deployed to Norway.

Missed anything?

Was thinking of the likely targets in Scotland today, military and civilian and I was thinking it would be a NATO/Warsaw Pact scenario and came up with the following.

Number one target in the whole of the UK remains Faslane, it has the largest warhead concentration in Western Europe IIRC.

Then I would expect....

Glasgow,

Edinburgh,

Aberdeen,

Lossiemouth,

I debated Leuchars, but I'm unsure if it would be a target these days. If one was launched at the place, it certainly would also take out Dundee, hence I haven't put it the list.

I would also expect a multi-strike against Faslane, both an airburst to flatten facilities and a surface strike to dig out the bunkers and missile dump.

I don't think they would bother with the likes of 45 Marines at Condor, no point as the troops would have in all likelihood have already been deployed to Norway.

Missed anything?

Don't forget Grangemouth and Aberdeen, you want to destroy strategic facilities like oil stations, transport hubs as well (bye bye Stirling, probably the forth bridges as well). You also want to take out Rosyth and Scotstoun (ship building).

Missed anything?

Drumnadrochit. Taking out Nessie and Urqhuhart Castle would devastate out tourism industry.

Unless Nessie came out as a radioactive monster. That would backfire on them considerably of course.

Archived