Greatest footballers without an international trophy

Mayos Noun

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with Best, Cruyff, Eusebio, Matthews and Bergcamp. Ryan Giggs' performances for Wales were mixed and he often pulled out of international squads.

At the risk of abuse, I would add Peter Shilton who should have won a load more caps at the expense of Ray Clemence. Another suggestion is Billy McNeil, a world class defender like Beckenbauer and Moore.

• 4 weeks later...
Another suggestion is Billy McNeil, a world class defender like Beckenbauer and Moore.

Spot on, another suggestion would be Denis Law.

Pisses me off when we fail to include home based players. Baxter, Johnstone, and Henderson would have walked into any team anywhere in the World in the 1960's.

Spot on, another suggestion would be Denis Law. Pisses me off when we fail to include home based players. Baxter, Johnstone, and Henderson would have walked into any team anywhere in the World in the 1960's.

By the same token every country 'bigs-up' their own. Before my time but I'm not so sure about McNeil and Johnstone.

Others quite possibly; indeed Law and Baxter were both capped for the Rest of the World v England in 1963 and together with Henderson for the Rest of Europe v Scandanavia the following year.

Before your time but you give short shrift to two of them and the benefit of the doubt to the other three.

There's enough video and anecdotal evidence to ensure anyone who never had the privilege of seeing him live can convince themselves of Jimmy Johnstone's talent. As for McNeil, the first British man to lift the European cup, and captain his side in two European Cup Finals. I've always been puzzled by the negativity that surrounds McNeil as a player. You don't get a record like his by accident.

As for McNeil, the first British man to lift the European cup, and captain his side in two European Cup Finals. I've always been puzzled by the negativity that surrounds McNeil as a player. You don't get a record like his by accident.

Plus two European Cup semifinals in 1972 and 1974. The latter was spoiled by Atletico Madrid kicking Celtic off the park. Those were the bad old days when even Barcelona resorted to similar tactics.

Celtic were one of the top five sides in Europe under McNeil's captaincy. Jock Stein was a fantastic manager but successful teams need a strong leader on the park.

ETA - All the commentators were amazed when Thistle beat Celtic 4-1 in the 71 League Cup Final. There was one key factor that helped us - McNeil was out injured.

Before your time but you give short shrift to two of them and the benefit of the doubt to the other three.There's enough video and anecdotal evidence to ensure anyone who never had the privilege of seeing him live can convince themselves of Jimmy Johnstone's talent. As for McNeil, the first British man to lift the European cup, and captain his side in two European Cup Finals. I've always been puzzled by the negativity that surrounds McNeil as a player. You don't get a record like his by accident.

I'm not sure I buy that theory for a lot of older players. I've tried looking into players like Garrincha and Puskas before and it's very hard to find lengthy footage of them playing. Even the likes of Pele, other than a few highlights it's hard to get a real understanding of how he played 90 minutes week in week out, although his goal record does speak for itself.

Surely we're at risk of getting a bit carried away here (and regardless of watching clips on YouTube or not).

I'm all for blowing our own trumpets: but on the one hand, we are saying that in the 1960s and early 1970s we had 5 or 6 players who would have walked into any team in the world... on the other hand, we did not even manage to qualify for a World Cup between 1958 and 1974; nor any Euros; only won a single Home Nations between 1963 and 1976; and Denis Law was the only one to win European Player of the Year.

They're great players, and I'm all for celebrating and lauding our heroes, but you have to keep a bit of perspective too.

Being the first Briton to win the European Cup or captain in multiple EC finals is an admirable feat but not an all-conquering one (for starters only Englishmen/Scotsmen/Irishmen/Welshmen could do so).

Do you ever actually watch football?

Your opinions, such as they are, tend to be based on stats and records.

We all know the Scottish international team during that era was a joke, squads were mainly chosen by selectors, selectors who had their own favourites and their own rules, some refused to pick players serving suspensions.

To downgrade a players ability on the basis that this international team won f**k-all is lunacy.

I'll stick to using the evidence of my own eyes.

Do you ever actually watch football? Your opinions, such as they are, tend to be based on stats and records. We all know the Scottish international team during that era was a joke, squads were mainly chosen by selectors, selectors who had their own favourites and their own rules, some refused to pick players serving suspensions. To downgrade a players ability on the basis that this international team won f**k-all is lunacy. I'll stick to using the evidence of my own eyes.

That seems to be quite the serving of telt you dished out there!

Archived