It will be interesting to see how much of a crowd the playoff game draws for the Shire and whether their latent one game a decade sort of following is anything like as big as that Montrose attracted last season. A few hundred neutrals might drift in out of curiosity but I seriosly doubt there will be a large passionate home support backing them on in this one given the last of their traditional core following from before they got dumped into C Division post-WWII and missed out on the post-war attendance boom died off in the 70s and 80s.

The big attendance at Links last season was probably down to people from Arbroath, like every other game with a bigger than usual attendance at the Links.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And before you answer both those questions, here's another. Would Dundee United and Aberdeen have taken a chance on Barry Douglas, Andy Robertson, Aidan Connolly, Blair Spittall or Lawrence Shankland if they'd been shining in the Lowland League? I just think that most relegated clubs clear the decks and start again, and meantime the better Lowland and Highlighland League clubs have accumulated some decent players in their squads.

United have just signed a player from Spartans, so we do sign players from non-league football.

The big attendance at Links last season was probably down to people from Arbroath, like every other game with a bigger than usual attendance at the Links.

Hope it's because you Smokies wanted us to stay up. I know we would want you to do in reverse circumstances. After all we don't want to lose our 'derbies' and it would only serve to please those nerds who suggest our clubs merge. They really have no idea do they even as wind up merchants.

If I'm not working or otherwise engaged will definitely try to get along to give the shire a bit of support. Sadly they ain't been the greatest as of late but feel greatly for the fans that stand by week in week out. As said earlier players bickering and not interested here hoping they can show a bit of fight in the play offs

Hope it's because you Smokies wanted us to stay up. I know we would want you to do in reverse circumstances. After all we don't want to lose our 'derbies' and it would only serve to please those nerds who suggest our clubs merge. They really have no idea do they even as wind up merchants.

This is proof of how pathetic your derby is

I think it's perfectly reasonable for the bottom team to go into a playoff. When the LL and the HL can prove they're consistently producing teams better than the worst the SPFL can offer, open it up to automatic relegation, but at the moment I don't think it's a good idea. Am I right in thinking the Lowland League don't even produce a full season of fixtures are the start of the season?

I think it's perfectly reasonable for the bottom team to go into a playoff. When the LL and the HL can prove they're consistently producing teams better than the worst the SPFL can offer, open it up to automatic relegation, but at the moment I don't think it's a good idea. Am I right in thinking the Lowland League don't even produce a full season of fixtures are the start of the season?

Lowland League produces a full fixture list I believe.

Surprised that a fan of a team consistently milling about the bottom of the fourth tier wouldn't open it up automatically just now. Even more surprised that you'd open it up once a few teams have gone down tbh.

Tbf, if teams promoted from below weren't good enough they'd get relegated the next year anyway.

That's more than once BerwickMad has gone on about the leagues below not having fixture lists when they do, IIRC. Not sure what that's all about.

Regarding crowds - last season:

Edinburgh City v Brora Rangers - 908

Brora Rangers v Edinburgh City - 350

Brora Rangers v Montrose - 525

Montrose v Brora Rangers - 2,132

Aye some fans of clubs in league 2 need to wake up and smell the coffee.The playoffs are here,and very much here to stay. Both leagues north and south produce a full fixture list at the start of the season,most are licensed and only a few haven't floodlights,it's not the juniors. I feel once a few SPFL teams have been relegated the trapdoor will open up and their will be straight relegation for the bottom side.I'm heading up to Turriff v Cove on Saturday,will gauge how good Cove are playing a decent side.

Tbf, if teams promoted from below weren't good enough they'd get relegated the next year anyway.

That's more than once BerwickMad has gone on about the leagues below not having fixture lists when they do, IIRC. Not sure what that's all about.

Regarding crowds - last season:

Edinburgh City v Brora Rangers - 908

Brora Rangers v Edinburgh City - 350

Brora Rangers v Montrose - 525

Montrose v Brora Rangers - 2,132

was actually nearer to 3,000 @ Links Park if the rumour mill is to be believed

was actually nearer to 3,000 @ Links Park if the rumour mill is to be believed

aye and that was 200 Brora fans, 500 Montrose fans, and the rest were made up of interested Brechin, Forfar and Arbroath fans, you can tell this by the fact the majority of the crowd do not celebrate any of the goals

There's nothing wrong with a playoff for a few years. Walk before you can run. Last seasons run away winners of the highland league couldn't manager to dispose of Montrose who were awful last season. Give it a few years then open it up a bit further.

aye and that was 200 Brora fans, 500 Montrose fans, and the rest were made up of interested Brechin, Forfar and Arbroath fans, you can tell this by the fact the majority of the crowd do not celebrate any of the goals

nae much singing either, although the Forfar and Brechin fans did join in with "hating smokie bastids and chasing them everywhere".  such fun!!!

I did make the comment "football tourists" @ the time. although there was defo a wee bitty more than 500 Mo fans

There's nothing wrong with a playoff for a few years. Walk before you can run. Last seasons run away winners of the highland league couldn't manager to dispose of Montrose who were awful last season. Give it a few years then open it up a bit further.

Aye true BM,but Formartine and Huntly disposed of two league 2 sides earlier this season,Spartans have toued league clubs regularly as EK did to Stenhousemuir this season.It's all swings and roundabouts though in the big picture,it will open up eventually no doubt about it.

Aye true BM,but Formartine and Huntly disposed of two league 2 sides earlier this season,Spartans have toued league clubs regularly as EK did to Stenhousemuir this season.It's all swings and roundabouts though in the big picture,it will open up eventually no doubt about it.

the money getting pumped into some highland sides definitely gives them a competitive advantage against many league 2 sides and in a one-off cup tie anything is possible. saying that ross county and caley thistle did start in league 2 or division 3 in old money.

the money getting pumped into some highland sides definitely gives them a competitive advantage against many league 2 sides and in a one-off cup tie anything is possible. saying that ross county and caley thistle did start in league 2 or division 3 in old money.

Aye gotta agree with you ozmo,some of them are well loaded but yeah Caley th,Ross co and Peterhead have done well since joining the SPFL.

Really pitiful trolling by Arbroath fans on this thread.

How big was the crowd at your crumbling shitheap for that Shire game just before Lumsden was sacked?

That's how "massive" a club Arbroath really are. A home support chock full of girning stays ways at the first sign of bother.

Archived