Squad name face Georgia & Germany (September)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No he's not. Forrest started ahead of GMS against Malmo and will do so again this week if he's fit.

The issue with Forrest is his fitness, but when he is fit he is a much more effective player than GMS, Deila knows it, Strachan knows it, yet every time there is a squad announced this board is full of people jumping on the bandwagon slagging him off wanting GMS instead. It's bizarre.

Exactly. There's a reason Strachan, Deila, Lennon and Levein are all huge fans of James Forrest - when fit, he's a very good player. He was Celtic's best player against Kilmarnock and Malmo yet was still criticised by the morons on here who can't see past their preconceptions.

Good to see Armstrong in, any time I've seen Celtic since he moved he's looked class. Which is absolutely fucking gutting.

Im not a hater of Forrest, think he can offer something if he's fit. GMS is a bit unlucky in that he's competing for the strongest area of the team. He should be considered before the likes of Bannan are recalled though.

Hopefully Griffiths is finally proving himself at the top level as it would nice to actually have a striker that scores goals.

No he's not. Forrest started ahead of GMS against Malmo and will do so again this week if he's fit.

The issue with Forrest is his fitness, but when he is fit he is a much more effective player than GMS, Deila knows it, Strachan knows it, yet every time there is a squad announced this board is full of people jumping on the bandwagon slagging him off wanting GMS instead. It's bizarre.

Nah, he's definitely not far more effective. He started against Malmo, so what? Mackay-Steven started against Qarabag twice, has started more games and had more assists this season. So you're not going to convince me that Forrest is better than GMS, and it would appear I'm not going to be doing vice versa.

Fletcher set up numerous chances for us v Georgia, assisted Anya brilliantly in Germany, great play for our goal in Poland aswell as a hat trick v Gibraltar, not sure why people want him dropped

This.

Fletcher is a better player, agreed. But has he really done enough to be untouchable and undroppable? Not even close IMO. He has done well this campaign, yes, but not as a direct goal threat.

Scored our first hat trick in God knows how many years.

Either way you're completely missing the point when you say he isn't a goal threat, he's in there because of the chances and openings he creates for others, would the likes of Anya and Maloney have had anywhere near the success rate if Fletcher wasn't playing? I don't think so, Griffiths wouldn't work well in the "system" we play.

Which is why I don't like Ritchie, he just doesn't fit in and doesn't play well, regardless of his club level form I just don't think he'll ever cut it at international level. Naismith, Maloney, Anya and Forrest are all better options within the squad, and I reckon Philips and GMS would be an interesting shout in a friendly to see how they'd fit in.

I know it's not saying much, but Forrest tore Killie to shreds before he was subbed a few weeks back. Celtic looked a far poorer team when he went off.

I was thinking this,I don't watch the top tier an awful lot but whenever I do Forrest is normally one of the best players. In the same game GMS was pretty anonymous.

I won't go in to deep in the Forrest debate because inevitably other people see him more, but I like him.

England are the classic example of a team that's always been full of players playing at the top level yet have underachieved massively in recent years.

The best players aren't always the best for their respective national teams all the time. Depends on how they fit into the overall system and work with the rest of the squad.

Scotland play a very specific way which is why the team is largely unchanged since Strachan found his rhythm. This is the first time in years we've had a settled team and it's also the best we've played in years. To suggest we now start flinging debuts about left, right and centre is ridiculous. We have been making that mistake for the best part of 20 years

anyone who thinks that there will be any surprise inclusions or any many changes is living on a different planet.

I think someone said it already, for some strange reason Strachan seems to be falling into that old familiar Scotland manager trap of picking the same players regardless, give or take the odd shock now and again as token gesture.

I am so passionate about our country but I am past caring now when the squads get named because we will never see what we want to see.

We are far too predictable and have no plan b which is why we will finish 3rd, I know I am being negative but lets be honest here, I think we could all get at least 10 of the starting 11 for the Goergia game right already.

Hutton will start regardless of playing for Villa or not, we will play a Right Back at Left Back, James Morrison will start even though Darren Fletcher keeps him out the West Brom side, Naismith the ghost will start even though he doesn't start at all for Everton and the worst of all, the non goalscoring striker that is Steven Fletcher will start both games even though he doesn't play for Sunderland yet Rhodes, Griffiths are banging them in for their clubs........

Its time we started picking players in form and not old favorites.

rs_480x281-131015105834-oscarthegrouch_c

You're right. I wish he would just pick the names out of a big, glittery Top Hat.

There seem to be a bunch of Scotland fans with the attention span of a goldfish. Constantly bored if there aren't brand new shiny players playing every single game, regardless of how good they are. If Rhodes, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven and Cairney started the next 3 games then they'd be moaning come game 4 that Ryan Jack or Tony Watt weren't getting a chance.

We are unbeaten in five competitive matches and are sitting in a decent position to qualify. How about, rather than constantly clamouring for the next flavour of the month, you just trust the manager who got us into that position to pick the best team. Picking players solely on club form would be a terrible idea - we'd be making 6 or 7 changes to the team from one double header to the next.

The stuff about our team being packed with the same players who have failed in previous campaigns is nonsense too. Here's the list of the 11 players (regardless of position) who played most often under Levein:

McGregor (22), Morrison (20), Berra (19), Miller (18), Adam (17), Caldwell (17), Naismith (15), D. Fletcher (14), Hutton (14), Bardsley (12), Whittaker (11).

Only Morrison, Naismith, Hutton and Whittaker could be considered as first choice players under Strachan. Martin, Hanley, Mulgrew and Anya all made their competitive debuts for Scotland under Strachan, and all are first choice players now.

Good posting, Batman. :batman +1

England are the classic example of a team that's always been full of players playing at the top level yet have underachieved massively in recent years.

The best players aren't always the best for their respective national teams all the time. Depends on how they fit into the overall system and work with the rest of the squad.

Scotland play a very specific way which is why the team is largely unchanged since Strachan found his rhythm. This is the first time in years we've had a settled team and it's also the best we've played in years. To suggest we now start flinging debuts about left, right and centre is ridiculous. We have been making that mistake for the best part of 20 years

And ironically, it was Alf Ramsey that said back in '66 to Jack Charlton - "I don't pick the best players, I pick the players I need". If we're playing top trumps, fair enough, but Strachan is doing exactly what he should be doing with his squad selections. Even if we did qualify by some mad stroke of luck before the next international period (is that even possible?) I doubt he'd change things massively for Poland/Gibraltar. Remember the last time he changed the system? Gibraltar scored their first ever competitive goal, and he had to do a massive about-face.

Even if we did qualify by some mad stroke of luck before the next international period (is that even possible?)

Technically no but if we beat Georgia and Germany and Poland beat Germany then we would require just a win at Gibraltar to claim at least Second. So in practice, pretty much. That of course won't happen.

A more realistic prospect:

Beat Georgia

Germany Beat Poland

Beat Poland

Match Poland's Result

Would also see us through.

9 point from the 12 should realistically be enough, worst case would prob be highest 3rd place. 6 would likely be enough for 3rd and playoffs.

Completely agree with those saying we need to stick with a settled side and shouldn't be reading all that much into club form. I'm just wondering why Strachan broke with that general way of thinking himself when he brought Ritchie straight into the starting eleven for four consecutive games, with him being absolutely rancid in both of his competitive appearances.

Calling him up again as a squad player is fair enough, but I hope to christ he's not planning on starting him in either of these games.

Not read the rest of the thread but I'm assuming we all agree that Craig Gordon is our #1 again.

Always has been for me. Despite an inept Celtic performance tonight, he was immense

ETA: Strachan won't drop Marshall though, not at this stage of the campaign

Always has been for me. Despite an inept Celtic performance tonight, he was immense

ETA: Strachan won't drop Marshall though, not at this stage of the campaign

Yeah, I'd definitely pick Gordon over Marshall but not at this moment in time. Marshall has done very well for us under a couple of makeshift back fours so it wouldn't be fair to move him now.

Having these 3 keepers for the past 10 years or so has been excellent, one position you know there is quality even at 3rd choice (I know McGregor has been poor lately)

Not read the rest of the thread but I'm assuming we all agree that Craig Gordon is our #1 again.

No. Marshall is. Rightly or wrongly, Marshall will be the first pick keeper barring injuries.

There's a case to argue the worst of the three keepers is the first choice, but Strachan has his favourites.

Edited to add; Dwight Yorke had some very critical words about Gordon last night. Obviously a lot of bad blood between the two of them. Not that Dwight Yorke is an authority on goalkeeping, but I thought it was interesting. Also Gordon threw in the first goal last night. He's not the keeper he once was.

Archived