Building Scotland.

Archie

If the problem lies with optimistic completion costs, is there not a professional advisory body in place to help government decide whether or not the quoted price is sh*te?

It's just one of them things. I think everybody actually knows. Like I said earlier on a project of this scale and of this nature it's impossible to get an accurate estimate.

It's just one of them things. I think everybody actually knows. Like I said earlier on a project of this scale and of this nature it's impossible to get an accurate estimate.

Is it possible to be 40m out? What is/was the original figures?

Edinburgh City Council apparently had their pants pulled down by the private company they hired to sort the trams.

They didn't have the project management expertise to understand the implications of the way the contract was written. The company wrote the contract so that any cost increase above the original quote was bourn by the council. The council signed on the dotted line and the rest is history.

I don't understand how such large budgetary overruns are tolerated?

I know that these major projects can run into unforeseen problems & costs. But does the contractor eat some of this or is the entire cost overrun passed onto the end user therefore preserving, if not increasing the contractors profits?

One of my biggest challenges at work was when somebody said "we've got a long term project for you, doing X, Y & Z. Let me know how long you think it'll take by the end of tomorrow".

Pfffff.

If only clients had an open chequebook like the government seems to do and find overrunning projects relatively acceptable.

Throw in the budget and timescale f**k ups for the Menzieshill Centre andschool what are you lot on floor 5 up to?

I think they were close to being on time and budget but had one of there contractors have part of his leg amputated after an accident (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-30229146). They also had another one in 210 in London (http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Inbox/bam-nuttall-fined-140000-for-crushing-accident/86389)

Must be a pretty old company!

Archived