St Johnstone FC versus Motherwell FC

We played decent stuff first half, St Johnstone were poor tho. Had two great chances to extend our lead and spurned them. At that point I knew we wouldn't win, but inexplicably didn't cash out my coupon.

St Johnstone came back into it towards end of first half, but some great saves kept us ahead. Second half st Johnstone were much better and our arse collapsed. A team with no idea on how to defend full stop, let alone defend a lead. Was only a matter of time before the equaliser. Bizarre sub Leitch for ainsworth? Guess to shore things up. Utterly ineffectual. Mcdonald off for Thomas and St Johnstone almost immediately score the winner. We had one more chance, a decent header from moult but went wide and high. Game over.

The team play some nice stuff but crumble at any sort of pressure. Our defence is useless. Thought Chalmers was alright replacing a terrible Hammell, not sure if he was injured, but was playing poorly.

Moult played well, ainsworth and Johnson too, the rest of the team not good enough.

I decided to watch the elusive Taylor to see if he was doing anything. Incredible, the only touches were a couple side or back passes, a header across our own goal gifting a great chance for St Johnstone. A pass to a st Johnstone player, a yellow for stopping a quick free kick (which I thought you're allowed to do) and another for a dive in the box. There was contact I'm sure, but it was very soft. Yellow maybe a bit harsh, would need to see again.

So worse than useless.

How long till pearson's back? We won't win a game until he is.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team play some nice stuff but crumble at any sort of pressure. Our defence is useless. Thought Chalmers was alright replacing a terrible Hammell, not sure if he was injured, but was playing poorly.

We started off well but fell away badly and as you say just crumbled when Saints scored their first. At 1-1 you could sense the game was effectively over and it was simply a matter of time before Saints scored again. Our central midfield just went AWOL in the second half. Baraclough's substitutions were again crucial and backfired.

Taylor, although anonymous, was unfairly treated twice by the erratic Craig Thomson and to add insult to injury received a second card after being tripped. Had we scored from the resultant penalty it would have been undeserved though.

Not sure what to say about that, tbh. First half was absolutely inept, genuinely had me thinking we'd fighting relegation. Second half started the same, until we finally stumbled into a decent area, Cummins was smart enough to cross it and Macca had the tap in. Then Mikey twelfth cut back of the match found Macca in acres of space again.

Its frustrating as f**k how bad we start, as we looked brilliant once we'd actually got the goal. I refuse to lay off Scobbie, whos an absolute bombscare, while Lappin was pretty awful too, can't help but feel both are getting played out of their best position though. MacLean was brutal until he scored, then turned into the player of two seasons ago, if he continues that form then fair play to him. O'Halloran obscenely good.

Motherwell get what they deserve for going completely negative once they scored, the subs they made were completely bamboozling to me too. The red card was simply hilarious.

Brutal is very harsh. Did you miss the two long range shots in the first half that forced the keeper in to good saves?

A similar game to the one last October from what I remember, with Motherwell noticeably the better side in the opening exchanges and despite the two good saves from Ripley, they should have been further ahead at the break. McCall played a back three those ten months ago and I think that caught us out but despite it being far more as expected from Motherwell yesterday, we didn't seem to get to grips with them at all for the first 45 minutes. It was noticeable that O'Halloran was clearly drawing the ire of his teammates and the management with failing to protect Shaughnessy.

There seemed more urgency about us in the second half and not for the first time, a change around the hour mark improved us. Was wary about Wotherspoon on the left as he doesn't seem to enjoy playing there but he made an impact. It doesn't paint over the fact he's so often poor but does highlight how effective he can be, something that the man he replaced rarely is. Can you count the positive contributions Lappin has made in his year at the club on one hand?

After good performances against County and Dundee, this was far more like the Inverness game but getting that first win is always vital, for the fans as much as anything.

Brutal is very harsh. Did you miss the two long range shots in the first half that forced the keeper in to good saves?

No. Outwith that he was just giving away fouls. Second half he probably shouldve got thw MoM award for the amount of graft he put in combined with his link up play and goals.

No. Outwith that he was just giving away fouls. Second half he probably shouldve got thw MoM award for the amount of graft he put in combined with his link up play and goals.

So giving away a few fouls - bearing in mind he was trying to compete with two very physical centre backs - makes his performance "brutal"? As TRS said, things could be "mediocre" or "not bad" or "decent". But with you it always has to be "brutal". Didn't notice him giving away a lot of fouls yesterday anyway.

So giving away a few fouls - bearing in mind he was trying to compete with two very physical centre backs - makes his performance "brutal"? As TRS said, things could be "mediocre" or "not bad" or "decent". But with you it always has to be "brutal". Didn't notice him giving away a lot of fouls yesterday anyway.

Im not entirely sure what youre expecting me to say here? Its clear we've got differing views, and its clear you only appear every three months to have a go at me, so im literally never wasting everyones time again by replying to you.

Cheerio :)

Im not entirely sure what youre expecting me to say here? Its clear we've got differing views, and its clear you only appear every three months to have a go at me, so im literally never wasting everyones time again by replying to you.

Cheerio :)

Disnae like being challenged.

Think people completely miss the point with Muzz. An attacking midfielder he is not and hasn't been for years but he bursts guts over 90 minutes, breaking things up and generally being a complete nuisance for the opposition.

Without him we are a much weaker side.

Great post and agree 100%. People don't seem to realise how much work he does off the ball. He's everywhere, and in a good way, not a headless chicken way.

I can sort of see where Widge is coming from. I actually thought that was probably O'Halloran's poorest league performance of the season. Not great, but certainly not shite though. I thought for large parts he looked a bit lazy and disinterested when he didn't have the ball, wasn't working hard enough to provide an option for his team mates and chose the wrong option too often. The lad is infuriating at times but still our most dangerous player.

I think the difference with Maclean last season and Maclean so far this season is that not only is he dropping in and doing all that useful link up work - but he's getting into dangerous positions as well. Last season we were putting balls into the box only to discover Maclean was out wide or 20 yards short. The last two weeks he's got himself between the posts and in position to bang in three goals.

FWIW I thought he had Laing on toast yesterday for the second half at least. Laing couldn't beat him in the air, then eventually gave up even challenging him.

Agree, Maclean looks far hungrier to score. Thought he was unlucky not to get man of the match yesterday, with two great strikes before half time as well as the goals and all round play in the second half.

Spoony made the difference yesterday, he provided a great option and everything was positive. That last half hour was the least long hopeful balls we've played all season as we played through Motherwell on the ground loads more. Brian Easton is a great player for us, as long as you put someone in front of him who gives width and wants to get forward then he will link up with them. Unfortunately Lappin didn't seem to do this.

Have to say I agree about MOH. Great on the ball going at players but he looked lazy and disinterested in getting back to help. There was a lot of times he was standing behind his man and not giving Joe an option to pass to as well. Having said that, running at defenders with the ball at his feet, there can't be many in the country that are better at it just now.

Thought motherwell looked really good in the first half, played a lot of good stuff and were very positive. Saints were the opposite, awful first half but really good in the second. Entertaining game and great to get 3 points at last.

I've still not seen Taylor yet but from reading the last three match threads he's not made a good start/he's being played out of position.

I'm not panicking yet hearts game aside we could have got something from the other three games we lost. Will hopefully pick up a few wins now we have an easier run of fixtures

Archived