Next Dundee United Manager

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant help but think that once the Scotland game is out of the way that McCall will be confirmed as Utd manager. Not who I would like personally but cant say I have a clear preference out of the names being linked so far.

Of all the most likely realms of possibility names put forward, McCall says long-term development more than the rest. For example, though he's done a sterling job at ICT, I cannot see how John Hughes is the man to help usher in a new era of sustained relative success and direction.

Whoever has Bowman as odds on is having a giraffe.

As for my thoughts on who United should appoint, well:

McCall - He seems best suited for the job in my opinion. He's a steady manager who'll no doubt improve United and there's not much to hate him for other than his stupid hairdo, so as a Dee, I'd not like to see this one come off, but to be fair, this seems like the safest option for United.

Mixu - Reckon he's a much bigger risk than McCall, but at the same time, if he does well I reckon he'd do much better than McCall 'doing well' if that makes sense. He favours a flowing, attacking style and with players like Connolly, Spittal etc, United just need the right man to take United's flair players to the next level.

Hughes - As a Dee, I'd be relatively happy with this appointment, despite his well doings at ICT and Falkirk, he's always struck me as a slavering buffoon and I reckon he'd do more harm than good.

Steve Evans - I'd absolutely love it if he was appointed, HOOF, only bettered in the hate-ability stakes by Pressley who now looks very unlikely.

Tommy Wright - I'd love it purely for the St Johnstone seeth and I can't see his defensive style going down well at Tannadice no matter how well he does.

Of all the most likely realms of possibility names put forward, McCall says long-term development more than the rest. For example, though he's done a sterling job at ICT, I cannot see how John Hughes is the man to help usher in a new era of sustained relative success and direction.

Whoever has Bowman as odds on is having a giraffe.

I had a look at Hughes' wiki page the other day. He's barely been out of work since taking over at Falkirk in 2003 (18 months or so between leaving Hibs and going to Livi) and is approaching 500 games in management. Won more games than he's lost over that period which, considering the teams he's been with, is pretty impressive.

As for my thoughts on who United should appoint, well:

McCall - He seems best suited for the job in my opinion. He's a steady manager who'll no doubt improve United and there's not much to hate him for other than his stupid hairdo, so as a Dee, I'd not like to see this one come off, but to be fair, this seems like the safest option for United.

Mixu - Reckon he's a much bigger risk than McCall, but at the same time, if he does well I reckon he'd do much better than McCall 'doing well' if that makes sense. He favours a flowing, attacking style and with players like Connolly, Spittal etc, United just need the right man to take United's flair players to the next level.

Hughes - As a Dee, I'd be relatively happy with this appointment, despite his well doings at ICT and Falkirk, he's always struck me as a slavering buffoon and I reckon he'd do more harm than good.

Steve Evans - I'd absolutely love it if he was appointed, HOOF, only bettered in the hate-ability stakes by Pressley who now looks very unlikely.

Tommy Wright - I'd love it purely for the St Johnstone seeth and I can't see his defensive style going down well at Tannadice no matter how well he does.

I think we can safely say it won't be Stevn Evans.

I had a look at Hughes' wiki page the other day. He's barely been out of work since taking over at Falkirk in 2003 (18 months or so between leaving Hibs and going to Livi) and is approaching 500 games in management. Won more games than he's lost over that period which, considering the teams he's been with, is pretty impressive.

Yeah, I saw that too, impressive. Though he failed to turn around a form-struggling Hartlepool (relegated) and failed in the spotlight at Hibs. He just doesn't say long-term vision to me.

Yeah, I saw that too, impressive. Though he failed to turn around a form-struggling Hartlepool (relegated) and failed in the spotlight at Hibs. He just doesn't say long-term vision to me.

Did he fail at Hibs? They finished 4th in his first season and within a few months he was punted. That possibly says more about Hibs than it does about Hughes.

In fairness, If I remember correctly he did significantly improve Hartlepools results, but they were in such a bad position when he took over it would have been very difficult for anyone to save them.

Did he fail at Hibs? They finished 4th in his first season and within a few months he was punted. That possibly says more about Hibs than it does about Hughes.

We had a brilliant start that season then after Christmas I can't remember the exact stat but hardly won any games in a horrible run of form. He tried to turn it around but carried it into the next season, he lost the dressing room and fans. It was correct to let him go in the end.

We had a brilliant start that season then after Christmas I can't remember the exact stat but hardly won any games in a horrible run of form. He tried to turn it around but carried it into the next season, he lost the dressing room and fans. It was correct to let him go in the end.

Sounds familiar.

Archived