By election updates

Mr Rational

Of course this isn't the end result but a decent first preference showing for the SNP at this time of year. May be them v Tory in the later stages.

Edited by Sunrise

On 21/03/2018 at 23:01, Crossbill said:

Penicuik by election tomorrow.  It's been a disastrous couple of days for the Tories, so it'll be interesting to see if that is reflected in the results.   2017 first preference results were:

SNP 35.2%

Conservative 26.2%

Labour 25.6%

Lib Dems 7.3%

Green 5.7%

If you're in the ward don't forget to vote. 

First preferences were:

SNP 35.0% (-0.2%)

Conservative 30.2% (+4.0%)

Labour 27.6% (+2.0%)

Green 7.2% (+1.5%)

Slight increase in Conservative and Labour share, which I'm guessing is probably due to the absence of the shy tories from the ballot.  Still, it's disheartening that the Conservative vote held up so well in the face of the fishing fiasco and their attempts to undermine devolution earlier in the week.  A win's a win though.

Final transfer numbers still haven't been released, as far as I can see.  They will let us know pretty accurately whether Labour supporters in Penicuik would really prefer an SNP or Tory administration.

Edited by Crossbill

26 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You are aware that the activist being quoted is joking, yeah?

It's hard to tell. When did a Labour activist last make a joke that wasn't racist, homophobic or misogynist?

Meanwhile, it's staggering to hear of the CWU union supporting this numptie after his racist and homophobic jokes came to light...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16111221.Union_campaigning_against_racism_paid_race_row_Scots_MP___3000/

A SCOTS Labour MP at the centre of a race row was given £3000 by a union campaigning against racism just 48 hours after he had to apologise for “deeply offensive” remarks.

The Communication Workers Union (CWU) has been heavily criticised for making the donation to Hugh Gaffney while it was promoting an anti-racism conference.

10 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

An actual joke or Labours attempts to tackle anti-Semitism, racism and sexism sort of a joke?

The former I would say. Weird to use societal wide issues around racism, sexism and anti-semitism as an excuse to point score when it's something I've been critical of repeatedly on here and elsewhere. I mean I quit the party over its shoddy attempt to rehabilitate Alex Riley.

2 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

It's hard to tell. When did a Labour activist last make a joke that wasn't racist, homophobic or misogynist?

Meanwhile, it's staggering to hear of the CWU union supporting this numptie after his racist and homophobic jokes came to light...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16111221.Union_campaigning_against_racism_paid_race_row_Scots_MP___3000/

Trade unions are an objective good in society. Doesn't really detract from the fact that they're filled with dinosaurs who need emptied from the movement.

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The former I would say. Weird to use societal wide issues around racism, sexism and anti-semitism as an excuse to point score when it's something I've been critical of repeatedly on here and elsewhere. I mean I quit the party over its shoddy attempt to rehabilitate Alex Riley.

Trade unions are an objective good in society. Doesn't really detract from the fact that they're filled with dinosaurs who need emptied from the movement.

Actually quit or Aberdeen Labour suspended?

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Yeah, agree with all of this. Value my own TU membership. Incredible though that some in the Labour movement still tolerate the likes of Dempster and the other bigots.

• 2 weeks later...

Lib Dems win the Caol by-election - a decent showing for the SNP in Charles Kennedy's back garden.

Know there's not always loads to read into a cooncil by-election but I recall the SNP couldn't hold a seat for a period in their first team in office.