By election updates

Mr Rational

57 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

Lib Dems win the Caol by-election - a decent showing for the SNP in Charles Kennedy's back garden.

Know there's not always loads to read into a cooncil by-election but I recall the SNP couldn't hold a seat for a period in their first team in office.

Probably to more to do with the Lib Dem having lived Mallaig for 40 years and the SNP guy living outside the ward having failed to get elected in his own ward last year. Strange ward with Caol being a suburb of Fort William  joined up with the likes of Mallaig and Spean Bridge instead of Fort William.

P.S. Sorry, I misread your point. Surprising he got as close as he did in the circumstances.

Edited by welshbairn

• 2 weeks later...

Highland Ward by election on Perth & Kinross today.

Traditionally a strong area for the SNP but we took a thumping here in 2017, a mixture of the national swing and the virtual disintegration of the electoral machine locally.

Very interesting to see what happens at the count. Was 2017 a high water mark for Tories, are the local Tory cuts impacting on voters yet or are we still voting on the constitution?

On the doorstep I felt it was extremely close. Success for me in STV single seats is, as always, to regain our first place in first preferences with an actual win being perhaps too much to hope for.

Conservatives win Perth and Kinross Highland ward with 46% of first preference votes.

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Very interesting to see what happens at the count. Was 2017 a high water mark for Tories, are the local Tory cuts impacting on voters yet or are we still voting on the constitution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0MRyUFIXU

Tick Tock,   bye bye nippy.    

31093300_10155269090396481_3920941941633581056_o.thumb.jpg.c5c0fa25d58a9f9f7a8bbdf8f3a03638.jpg

Middle-aged men who call a powerful female politician “nippy” are my favourites. What’s your nicknames for Humza Yousef, Salmond, Corbyn etc?

Still waiting to hear how great Brexit is going...

so lemme get this straight. 

The council has rescinded on its pothole policy (Backed by Murdo Fraser), canned late night buses to Pitlochry from Perth, and has introduced a £25 bin tax for our garden bins. 

Yet everyone votes conservatives to prevent an indyref. 

Morons. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

so lemme get this straight. 

The council has rescinded on its pothole policy (Backed by Murdo Fraser), canned late night buses to Pitlochry from Perth, and has introduced a £25 bin tax for our garden bins. 

Yet everyone votes conservatives to prevent an indyref. 

Morons. 

£35. They put the price up after they agreed the scheme and before it was implemented.

Also threatening to close Pitlochry High.

It's a very disappointing result, no two ways about it. It's pretty much exactly the result from 2017.

Don't see why people in flats should subsidise garden owners waste collection tbf.
There was a £25 charge introduced in Angus last year which resulted in epic seethe, in a kind of reverse of your post.

"Why are we paying for the Council to cut the grass for dole scroungers in flats!?!?"

Was mentioned more than once, mainly by absolute welts too thick to understand that communal ground isn't a fucking garden.

There was a £25 charge introduced in Angus last year which resulted in epic seethe, in a kind of reverse of your post.

"Why are we paying for the Council to cut the grass for dole scroungers in flats!?!?"

Was mentioned more than once, mainly by absolute welts too thick to understand that communal ground isn't a fucking garden.
Dole scroungers cutting the grass free is the normal solution here. Well according to my dad anyway. Useful policy for snow issues as well apparently.

Dole scroungers cutting the grass free is the normal solution here. Well according to my dad anyway. Useful policy for snow issues as well apparently.
We get the occasional enquiry from folk asking if they can get the lawns cut for free.

They soon lose interest when they discover the only option is criminal justice folk doing unpaid work for them [emoji38]

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't see why people in flats should subsidise garden owners waste collection tbf.

You could say that about anything that tax gets spent on.

I might have more sympathy for this argument in Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee.

The amount of people who won't generate garden waste in Perth & Kinross will be negligible.

It's also the same bucket and pick up as the food waste, which you don't need to pay for, you just need the permit if you throw your hedge clippings in with your banana skins. 

We get the occasional enquiry from folk asking if they can get the lawns cut for free.

They soon lose interest when they discover the only option is criminal justice folk doing unpaid work for them [emoji38]
My dad's 90 and his solution to most of societies problems involve "get dole scroungers to do it " The " shovelling snow,clearing the streets" is the real favourite though and cutting grass doesn't have the degree of harshness the forced removal of snow in sub zero temperatures for no monetary reward involves.

My dad's 90 and his solution to most of societies problems involve "get dole scroungers to do it " The " shovelling snow,clearing the streets" is the real favourite though and cutting grass doesn't have the degree of harshness the forced removal of snow in sub zero temperatures for no monetary reward involves.
My old man is 20 years younger but of the same mindset. Also wants National Service brought back [emoji38]

1 minute ago, jupe1407 said:
2 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:
Is he okay that his son is a cyclist?   

He's just thankful that I'm not a fat diabetic weirdo fantasist tbh.

Swerving the question confirms what we all suspected.    In 50 years time folk will laugh that folk used to pedal bike.    Absolutely mental.  

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

You could say that about anything that tax gets spent on.

I might have more sympathy for this argument in Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee.

The amount of people who won't generate garden waste in Perth & Kinross will be negligible.

It's also the same bucket and pick up as the food waste, which you don't need to pay for, you just need the permit if you throw your hedge clippings in with your banana skins. 

I just don't see why flat dwellers in the Merkinch or Hilton areas of Inverness should subsidise my garden in Ballifeary. Our food waste is strictly separated from our garden waste btw, different bins.