MOTD thread 2015/16

nelsjfc

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He`s actually one of the pundits I like. Measured comments from a guy who understands the game and is good at putting across the key points.

I generally don't mind him but he is more and more joining the promotion of cheating band of ex-pros unfortunately. 

Why?

He`s actually one of the pundits I like. Measured comments from a guy who understands the game and is good at putting across the key points.

I've never liked him. He seems to be revered (and this isn't aimed at anyone on here) for talking slowly in an attempt to sound more profound and it masks the shallowness of whatever he has to say. I remembered one insipid point he made that infuriated me and looked it up:

Danny Murphy talking several minutes of solid, unmitigated fabrication regarding refereeing and application of.... refereeing. They shouldn't book players on yellows when there's only seconds left in a game. They do this because they're afraid of being told off. Refereeing would be better and "more consistent" if they all applied common sense regarding such decisions. I'm actually stunned that someone in his position could talk such an amount of shite, and have no idea how anyone can think this man is even adequate as a pundit.

I think the best way I can think of to describe his punditry is he says really obvious things (or perhaps this is his way of speaking which makes it sound like he's trying to be deliberately 'normal') in an attempt to appeal to the broadest sort of audience possible. The problem being that the things he subsequently says are so shallow there's little point in them at all, or they're so mind-numbingly idiotic like the post above he just comes off looking like a total thicko. Watch it the next time he's on, watch and listen to what he says and the way he says it. It'll drive you up the wall.

Trevor Sinclair giving it the he played the ball chat with the Sunderland penalty, yeah he touched the ball that give him the right to wipe the guy out afterwards, stonewaller!

"It's a contact sport; [...] it's not knee height, is it?"

Bloody hell. 

Reminded me of Keegan at USA 1994: 'But, but, but, he's pulling his shirt!'

Archived