EPL on the brink of losing 4th CL spot.

greenockraver

England still have 6 teams to Italy's 5 in both competitions.

Most points for are gained in the CL where it's a 4 Eng 2 Ita.

So I can't see the overturn this season.

If Eng do drop a team, expect changes from Uefa to accommodate them.

Oh, poor old, you call others dumb while you fail to understand the most basic rule of Uefa coefficient.

CL and EL GIVE THE SAME ON COEFFICIENT POINTS. That is the very reason why SERIE A , once the greatest league in the world, lost its 4th spot. They did not care for EL and lost lots of points for that.

Coefficient points awarded are calculated on qualified teams.

This year:

Italy has 6 teams starting the uefa competitions

England has 8 teams starting

That means that every point earned by an English team shall be devided by 8 while every point made by any Italian team shall be devided by 6.

2011 season will be discarded and Italy made an all time low that season (11 points) , England made 15 points.

That means that Serie A has already overtaken EPL. You will lose the 4th CL spot at the end of the season.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes let's watch Barca destroy KF Skënderbeu 9-0 instead of a decent game like Dortmund v Man City.

Dont think Skenderbeu would mind any game against Barca. If Dortmund and Man City are good enough to win their respective leagues then the chances are that match up could happen.

It's an idea that's nice until you get even slightly into it. It worked back in the day, but in modern football it just wouldn't work. It would end up with having a sub-tournament to make up the shortfall, and that tournament being a bigger draw than its supposed superior.

If they put it into practice for this season, and it was the top 16 sides, you'd have.

Barcelona, Chelsea, Bayern, Juventus, PSG, Benfica, Zenit, Dynamo Kiev, Gent, PSV, Galatasaray, Basel, Viktoria Plzen, Olympiacos, Steaua Bucharest, Dynamo Zagreb

At that, you'd have some decent matches I suppose, but there's definitely a few teams in there that would get horsed. Open it up to 32 teams, and that gets worse, as the champions of such leading nations as Israel, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Kazahkstan, Liechtenstein, Slovakia, Slovenia will get a place. So would Celtic! I can't be arsed going through and seeing which 16 teams would qualify from the 17-32 spots, but it's hardly going to be filled with quality.

In the meantime, huge teams from around Europe are excluded, and probably playing in a competition that's suddenly become a lot more marketable.

put it this way, BT sport wouldn't pay £900m to screen matches between the Azerbaijani and Slovakian champions so it will never happen.

Oh, poor old, you call others dumb while you fail to understand the most basic rule of Uefa coefficient.

CL and EL GIVE THE SAME ON COEFFICIENT POINTS. That is the very reason why SERIE A , once the greatest league in the world, lost its 4th spot. They did not care for EL and lost lots of points for that.

Coefficient points awarded are calculated on qualified teams.

This year:

Italy has 6 teams starting the uefa competitions

England has 8 teams starting

That means that every point earned by an English team shall be devided by 8 while every point made by any Italian team shall be devided by 6.

2011 season will be discarded and Italy made an all time low that season (11 points) , England made 15 points.

That means that Serie A has already overtaken EPL. You will lose the 4th CL spot at the end of the season.

Wind yer fucking neck in bawjaws.

If you read further on the thread, I did say I could be talking bollocks after having a serious accident that left me with fractured skull just over 3 weeks ago.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a competition that consisted of solely the champions of each country. Never happen though.

I think that would be a terrible idea, I would though limit it to only the 2 team from each country with 3rd and 4th qualifying for the Europa League, Which I would rename UEFA Cup and make it a knockout tournament........again

It would be funny if they lost the spot. Their years of ridiculing the Europe league would come back to bite them on the arse. A season like last would probably do it. Italy only 4 points behind them.

I think that would be a terrible idea, I would though limit it to only the 2 team from each country with 3rd and 4th qualifying for the Europa League, Which I would rename UEFA Cup and make it a knockout tournament........again

If that was the case 106 sides would qualify across Europe, I'd say all champions automatically gain entrance to groups, one team gets a by into the next round based on coefficient points. The remaining 52 sides play a qualifier round to decide, then split the groups based on that.

And do away with all seeding, you can only draw the other side from your league in the first knockout rounds onward.

They should ditch the seeding and the whole not being allowed someone from the same country in your group

Bayern, Barca, Real and Juve would be a splendid draw

The problem I have is that the groups tend to become a bit samey, with all the seeding, country protection, etc.

I know it's massively unlikely, and probably has its flaws too, but I'd actually rather just see a free draw in the group stages.

They should ditch the seeding and the whole not being allowed someone from the same country in your group

Bayern, Barca, Real and Juve would be a splendid draw

I don't like that we are having the same ideas...

Wind yer fucking neck in bawjaws.

If you read further on the thread, I did say I could be talking bollocks after having a serious accident that left me with fractured skull just over 3 weeks ago.

:lol: oh no I've had a life threatening accident and I'm losing random bits of footballing trivia :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The great fall from grace contines tonight as both England representitives fail to gain any coeficcient points. With juve gaining points and Italy having less representation, alarm bells should be ringing ahead of the remaining CL/EL matches tomorrow and Thursday which now become vital in terms of keeping 2nd/3rd spot in the rankings.

I cant stress enough how important the Europa League is for English teams this year. After 2 exits they MUST perform or , as called and warned by many football enthusiasts across the continent, they could find their precious league becoming "also rans".

The warnings clear!

Still fancy both English teams to win tonight and all 4 to qualify from their groups. Man Utd didn't deserve to lose last night and I think they will win all their homes games, their performance would have been effected by shaws injury for sure

The great fall from grace contines tonight as both England representitives fail to gain any coeficcient points. With juve gaining points and Italy having less representation, alarm bells should be ringing ahead of the remaining CL/EL matches tomorrow and Thursday which now become vital in terms of keeping 2nd/3rd spot in the rankings.

I cant stress enough how important the Europa League is for English teams this year. After 2 exits they MUST perform or , as called and warned by many football enthusiasts across the continent, they could find their precious league becoming "also rans".

The warnings clear!

No, they could find their "precious league" falling down one place, losing a spot, then probably regaining it within a couple of years. If they drop at all.

Not sure where you're getting the doomsday scenario tone from tither. Who are people "warning"? The league? If so, great, but what does that achieve? Teams in the Europa League from England are still going to treat the competition like a chore even if they do know there's a risk of dropping a spot. If it's a choice between battling to a quarter final exit or finishing one place higher in the league without that distraction (and pocketing a million or so more in prizemoney) then they're going to sack the Europa League. They won't give a shiny shit if the league loses a spot, as most of these sides stand no chance of breaking into that top 3/4 anyway. All it'll mean to them is that they're now less likely to drop into the Europa League.

I can understand to an extent why teams who finish 6th or 7th but have no chance of finishing higher would prefer to put out a weakened side in the Europa League and the League Cup because they would rather ensure they concentrate on the league and don't blow their seat on the gravy train. The fans must hate it but from the POV of the board I can see why it makes financial sense.

The Europa League is such a poor return financially, I quite get why nobody really gives a crap about it.

This is all a bit of a non-story now; the English league largely has the representation it deserves. Of the many things about football, the number of English teams in the Champions League is one of the things I feel the least fury about.

The Europa League is such a poor return financially, I quite get why nobody really gives a crap about it.

This is the problem. Money

Nobody uses to look down upon the old UEFA cup, teams used to be in it to win it.

Sadly the money involved with the CL takes priority

This is all a bit of a non-story now; the English league largely has the representation it deserves. Of the many things about football, the number of English teams in the Champions League is one of the things I feel the least fury about.

The problem for England is that Spanish, Italian and German sides do give a crap about it.

The problem for England is that Spanish, Italian and German sides to give a crap about it.

This is it for me. The only major country in Europe who 'doesn't care' about the Europa League is England. This is the reason they're even in this 4th place predicament.

It still baffles me that a team like Liverpool or Spurs don't care about winning a major European cup because it doesn't make financial sense. Every winner since 2001, aside from Feyenoord, would be - IMO - considered a top European side. English teams dismissing it entirely has always surprised me.

Archived