Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Have we had a better attacking player since?

Numerous.

He really wasn't the game changer you imagine he was.

Cooper was a tricky winger who sometimes caused teams problems in the same way that Pat Nevin did. He really was absolutely nothing special in terms of his overall contribution.

He'd have been lynched by his own teammates, never mind the opposition. It's s disgusting rumour that people for some reason only known to themselves are happy to spin. The stuff about Mo Johnston is pish as well. He also got on fine with Charlie Nicholas in his last moments.

I'm not saying whether Cooper went in the huff because Rangers signed a Catholic or not but just because he was friends with Catholics isn't proof.

Numerous.He really wasn't the game changer you imagine he was.Cooper was a tricky winger who sometimes caused teams problems in the same way that Pat Nevin did. He really was absolutely nothing special in terms of his overall contribution.

He did a turn as a tricky winger, but far more importantly he was a brilliant passer of the ball who cut slice open a defence with vision most other players could only dream of. No more from me on the subject.

Does anyone outside of Scotland ever talk about him? I'm sure there was some player in Romania, say, at the same time who was one of the best Romanian players and never played outside of Romania, or really starred for the national team on a consistent basis (22 games and six goals across eleven years). And a lot of Romanians would probably say "oh, aye, class act. World class player, him." But nobody in Scotland would ever say "Oh, Stan Popescu [made up name, obviously], what a player! Class act - world class, no doubt about it."

Cooper is world famous in Scotland. By all accounts great at the domestic level, but not world class.

Would love to have somebody with his talent in the national team now, though.

Does anyone outside of Scotland ever talk about him? I'm sure there was some player in Romania, say, at the same time who was one of the best Romanian players and never played outside of Romania, or really starred for the national team on a consistent basis (22 games and six goals across eleven years). And a lot of Romanians would probably say "oh, aye, class act. World class player, him." But nobody in Scotland would ever say "Oh, Stan Popescu [made up name, obviously], what a player! Class act - world class, no doubt about it."

Cooper is world famous in Scotland. By all accounts great at the domestic level, but not world class.

Would love to have somebody with his talent in the national team now, though.

Check the European Jubilee Awards. Now, obviously, the "Greatest Andorran Footballer of the Last 50 Years" aint gonna be even in an Andorran's idea of World Class but I'm sure the Norwegians who saw Bratseth; the Luxembourgers who saw Pilot; Greeks who saw Hitzipanagis or Belarussians who saw Aleinikov would wax lyrical about how they were World Class at their peak while no-one in this country would have heard of them but they all achieved far more in their careers than Cooper

Believe me I have Googled it and there's not a single quote from the alleged aggrieved party. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Of course, Tony is too dignified a man to speak of it publicly. If you want to convince yourself it never happened because Tony never came out and talked about it then you should.

Monkey tennis I bet you've been on the forums saying how great Chris Martin is aka cart horse. To say Davies cooper was average tells me you know sweet FA about football

You're an illiterate moron, which is why I've no idea what you're attempting to say.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

"A few words for Davie Cooper

The observation that my old pal Davie Cooper would have turned 60 in this past week does nothing to ease the sorrow at his early passing.

We signed for Rangers in the same month and were close enough that we actually had a catch-up lunch scheduled in Glasgow for the day after he died.

He was quite simply the most technically-gifted footballer I ever played with. A genius who in any other European country would have been seen to even greater effect as a playmaker.

It was the role Motherwell used him in at the end of his career, and where Davie was at his dazzling best." Not my words but those of Gordon Smith, today.

Anyone who thinks David Cooper was not a genius only needs to look at the endorsements he recieved from fellow pros. Rudd Gulliet said he was 1 of the best players he's ever seen. I,m pretty sure he's more qualified than any poster on here.

The fact this endorsement by Rudd Guillit is cited so often and given so much prominence for me is evidence that he clearly wasn't world class otherwise Rangers fans and the media(rangers fans) wouldn't need to cling to it so desperately.

Looking for some help, 1964 Neilston vs. Morton. He played that game under the 1st flood lights. My Dad is Bobby McCance and played with Dixie Deans, Jim Orr John McCaw and Ian White. I'd love to locate any of these guys or any photos, articles etc. Found a photo of them all together Fabulous Five.

Looking for some help, 1964 Neilston vs. Morton. He played that game under the 1st flood lights. My Dad is Bobby McCance and played with Dixie Deans, Jim Orr John McCaw and Ian White. I'd love to locate any of these guys or any photos, articles etc. Found a photo of them all together Fabulous Five.