Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

I once heard someone claim "World Class" meant if you had to create a 23 man squad out of all the players in the world who would be in it.

Fletcher and Gordon woulda been on the fringes at their best. Before that? f**k knows. Lambert?

By that logic, Law certainly, Dalglish certainly. Guys like Johnstone, Henderson, Baxter maybe. Nobody in the last thirty years and loads before WW 1.

Wee Strachan wasn't half bad to be fair, and ally mcoist. Not world class but not far off it, always seemed to turn in a performance in the big games we had

McCoist was great in Scotland, but I'm not sure he'd even have been a top striker in England. You never know, I suppose.

WGS was probably a level above Alistair, but a performer in a mediocre Manchester United side that wouldn't have been bothering Europe too much even if they could have. Both had excellent careers and were good players, but it's hard to imagine them playing for an important European club (bearing in mind that Man Utd were the '80s equivalent of modern Everton).

McCoist was great in Scotland, but I'm not sure he'd even have been a top striker in England. You never know, I suppose.

WGS was probably a level above Alistair, but a performer in a mediocre Manchester United side that wouldn't have been bothering Europe too much even if they could have. Both had excellent careers and were good players, but it's hard to imagine them playing for an important European club (bearing in mind that Man Utd were the '80s equivalent of modern Everton).

To be fair, Man Utd were still rich in those days and were one of the bigger spending clubs. Strachan was one of the top players in England. Didn't he win player of the year once? He wasn't world class though.

To be fair, Man Utd were still rich in those days and were one of the bigger spending clubs. Strachan was one of the top players in England. Didn't he win player of the year once? He wasn't world class though.

Aye, no doubt a quality player in England. Still a bit hard to imagine him playing in Europe for Liverpool, I must admit, but that's probably just my memory being all wibbly.

The protracted period of shitery that Man United experienced in the Seventies/Eighties is all the stranger when you think about it now. They really were utter keich; outside of Manchester, you'd get laughed at in the playground if you admitted to being a Man U fan. How times change.

Did GS not play in the Leeds league winning side in England can't remember. I don't think these type of players get the respect in Scotland they deserve. Everytime anyone mentions a player who achieved multiple titles it's followed by he was pish and over rated in a crap team. GS played in a shite man utd team big deal, he played in an Aberdeen team who dominated scotland and Europe for a few seasons

Did GS not play in the Leeds league winning side in England can't remember. I don't think these type of players get the respect in Scotland they deserve. Everytime anyone mentions a player who achieved multiple titles it's followed by he was pish and over rated in a crap team. GS played in a shite man utd team big deal, he played in an Aberdeen team who dominated scotland and Europe for a few seasons

Of course he played for the Leeds title winning team. How can people be unsure of this stuff?

Man United were nothing like as shit as suggested here. They regularly went far in the FA Cup when it mattered and would have had several of the top four finishes regarded these days as representing success.

Strachan wasn't world class though, but he was very good. Shit manager, mind.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

We do know. He went to England and failed.

Oh, be nice. That was at the very start of his career :P

But yeah, I couldn't see him ever doing any better than, say, Steven Naismith.

Donald Love starting for Manchester United tonight..

The boy from Grand Theft Auto? :huh:

No wonder United are in trouble if they're picking fictional characters for big games.