Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

I will put it out there and say James McFadden was pretty special at one time for Scotland. If the James McFadden of 06-09 had played in the current team, we would be at the euros. At that time he was a cut above everybody and the only exciting player in the starting XI for a few years. Shame to see what his career came to down south. Should've\could've been a lot more succesful! Thoughts?

I think we all need to define world class at this point.

I agree with footiefanboy that you have to go back a few decades to find genuine world class Scottish players.

Buffoon

My thoughts are that McFadden was an exciting and very important player for Scotland, for a decent spell. The latest Scotland team could indeed have done with someone like him at his peak, who may well have made a decisive difference.However, this thread is about World Class players and McFadden is almost as far from that kind of status as you or I am.

Fair enough point. Best scotland player I've seen in my time though (20 years). The only other one that would come to mind would be Davie cooper! Although I never witnessed him first class, speaking from footage only God knows how he didn't have more scotland caps, what a talent.

Fair enough point. Best scotland player I've seen in my time though (20 years). The only other one that would come to mind would be Davie cooper! Although I never witnessed him first class, speaking from footage only God knows how he didn't have more scotland caps, what a talent.

Same re Jimmy Johnstone who only scraped 23 caps. You've got to wonder who did get all the caps in place of guys like JJ and DC.

Same re Jimmy Johnstone who only scraped 23 caps. You've got to wonder who did get all the caps in place of guys like JJ and DC.

Don't think there were as many friendlies in those days and qualifying groups were smaller too due to having smaller number of euro nations. Also should be said that both players operated in an era were there was a lot of competition for places. Cooper was brilliant when he was on it....but other players at time were probably more consistent and prior to souness the rangers team wasn't that great which may have been a factor. His performance against Wales off the bench in 86 qualifiers was amazing and pressure on that penalty must have been awful....i was watching through my fingers. As for JJ he was before my time but impression I get was that he wasn't picked occasionally for off field reasons rather than pure ability issues. Edited by dogmc

Jesus there are some right zoomers out there! McfuckingFadden? FuckingFletcher? Never in a million years world class!! Even Souness is a piss take. World class is Maradona,Messi,Ronaldo etc. Scotlands nearest in my lifetime is Dalglish but even that's debatable.

Agreed.

Great to see cowards who discuss in a civil manner on here hiding behind a laptop or smartphone. again I didn't say he was necessarily world class. Read my quote and language.

You said he couldn't make it at Blackburn. An absolute lie squeezed from your sphincter.

You're both wrong and a liar.

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=247856

This is a decent listing of our greatest. Not sure about honorable mention. People disagree with Lambert but he did win an ECL so i'd maybe add him in under GM. But I think neither where world class throughout careers. Maybe you could argue for a season or moments with Dortmund and Liverpool.

I do think Billy McNeill could be argued to be added onto listing and we've had some very good GKs over the years but not sure if any have been truly world class. It's tough with that position. Brown, Goram, Leighton etc. all excellent. Maybe put one in honorable mention also. They've all had seasons or moments that where you can argue greatness.

I'd say our best 5 ever, although tough when you get past top 2 are:

1. Dennis Law

2. Kenny Dalgleish

3. Graham Souness

4. Jimmy Johnstone

5. Danny McGrain

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=247856

This is a decent listing of our greatest. Not sure about honorable mention. People disagree with Lambert but he did win an ECL so i'd maybe add him in under GM. But I think neither where world class throughout careers. Maybe you could argue for a season or moments with Dortmund and Liverpool.

I do think Billy McNeill could be argued to be added onto listing and we've had some very good GKs over the years but not sure if any have been truly world class. It's tough with that position. Brown, Goram, Leighton etc. all excellent. Maybe put one in honorable mention also. They've all had seasons or moments that where you can argue greatness.

I'd say our best 5 ever, although tough when you get past top 2 are:

1. Dennis Law

2. Kenny Dalgleish

3. Graham Souness

4. Jimmy Johnstone

5. Danny McGrain

Spot on

Not that it's a reliable marker of being world class, but are Lambert and Fletcher the only Scots to have won the Champions' League as players?

If we extended it to include the old European Cup, there would be a couple of dozen between Celtic, Liverpool, Forest and Villa, with plenty more if Leeds hadn't been robbed in 1975.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Not that it's a reliable marker of being world class, but are Lambert and Fletcher the only Scots to have won the Champions' League as players?

If we extended it to include the old European Cup, there would be a couple of dozen between Celtic, Liverpool, Forest and Villa, with plenty more if Leeds hadn't been robbed in 1975.

That's a good point. I think today it's the only marker we have as we just don't have anywhere near the number of quality players as we did in eras gone by.

On a side not DeeBoy. I'm really not sure why so much conflict? Kinda sad you and sadly my fellow jags fan want to pick fights and just be children, but all I can say in my defense is that Blackburn and being captain is hardly making it and being world class. If I remember correctly they where a side when Fergie was there that was in bottom half and flirting with relegation and they did end up going down just after he left.

The key word I used for Lambert was 'possibly' which means it is definitely up for debate. And I accept that as I don't actually think he was world class. Moments he had where class and you don't make and win an ECL by being just an average player. He does deserve plaudits as I think does Fletcher.

Boring I can be, wrong yeah we all are from time to time but on this discussion site, 'liar' is just stupid. It's called having an opinion.

Ferguson wasn't a dud by any means, but nobody outside of Scotland would ever consider him to be remotely world class in the usual sense of the term. Zero people in Portugal or Finland have ever had a discussion down the pub (or sauna hut, or whatever) about what makes a world class footballer and included "captained Blackburn for a couple of seasons" among their criteria.