Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

This is intended as a comic offering, I take it? And he didn't win the Cup Winners' Cup. Spurs won the UEFA Cup in 1984, which is presumably what you're referring to.

I stand corrected re: the UEFA Cup.

No, it's a not a comic offering. Not entirely serious, but more likely than some of the shouts on this thread - just thought it'd be interesting to introduce someone who was highly regarded during his career, but not really mentioned much nowadays. Look at it this way: there is zero chance that any Scot will be signed to replace any of the true world class players of today when they retire or move on - taking, say, Messi as this generation's Maradona.

I stand corrected re: the UEFA Cup.

No, it's a not a comic offering. Not entirely serious, but more likely than some of the shouts on this thread - just thought it'd be interesting to introduce someone who was highly regarded during his career, but not really mentioned much nowadays. Look at it this way: there is zero chance that any Scot will be signed to replace any of the true world class players of today when they retire or move on - taking, say, Messi as this generation's Maradona.

Well say Messi retires at 34 then Ryan Gauld will be 25, a good age to really enter his prime as a player and be picked up by Barcelona for that £48 million release clause. :whistle

I like Naismith missing sitters being brought up, especially given Fletcher isn't exactly setting the world alight with his finishing.

Considering I said I'd rather see Martin or Griffiths up front ahead of Naismith that's a really good point, well done

Does anyone think McAllister was pap?

It take it you weren't at Hampden for the abuse he got from some sections for his last couple of years? He still gets a slagging from some of our support which I really don't understand as the guy was a tremendous player.

Uri Geller fu*ked him over.

Naismith missed 3 sitters against Georgia. I wish people would stop holding him up as the answer to our problems because he isn't that prolific either

In the formation we play 4-2-3-1, his main role would be holding up the ball and generally making a nuisance of himself as well as hopefully nicking a chance. Naisy should always be our first choice at the moment from the squad we have IMO unless we change to a 4-5-1 in which case Rhodes or Griffiths would be the preferred options.

In the formation we play 4-2-3-1, his main role would be holding up the ball and generally making a nuisance of himself as well as hopefully nicking a chance. Naisy should always be our first choice at the moment from the squad we have IMO unless we change to a 4-5-1 in which case Rhodes or Griffiths would be the preferred options.

he should definitely be first choice but he's better behind a striker

• 3 weeks later...

Discussed this subject on Radio Clyde tonight. They came up with a pretty good system for determining whether someone was 2world class" or not: would they make it into the 23-25 man short list for the Ballon d'or?........I've not checked but I would hazard a guess that Darren Fletcher was never nominated....

Who was the last Scottish player to be or has there ever been a Scottish player nominated in the list (or the equivalent list before it was the balon d'or)?

ETA: I'm assuming they didn't have lists of 20-30 nominees prior to the Fifa wpoy era (1990)?

Edited by Gordopolis

Who was the last Scottish player to be or has there ever been a Scottish player nominated in the list (or the equivalent list before it was the balon d'or)?ETA: I'm assuming they didn't have lists of 20-30 nominees prior to the Fifa wpoy era (1990)?
Unless they've changed the format, there have never been nominees for this. National team managers and captains vote on their 1-2-3, which generally serves as still.ending up with one of two these days. Easy to see why Dalglish came second, given his world conquering exploits with dem wacky scousers shaping many manager's opinions. Voters were also restricted to one compatriot.
It take it you weren't at Hampden for the abuse he got from some sections for his last couple of years? He still gets a slagging from some of our support which I really don't understand as the guy was a tremendous player. Uri Geller fu*ked him over.
McAllister didn't play at Hampden after facing Australia in March 1996.....three full years before his retirement.

McAllister didn't play at Hampden after facing Australia in March 1996.....three full years before his retirement.

Aye it was Parkhead and Ibrox in that era wasn't it? I was at the Parkhead game vs the Czechs in 99. We were playing sh*te to a man but the crowd were only booing McAllister. Quite embarrassing behaviour really.

I had a quick look and last Scottish player to be shortlisted for Ballon Dor was Mccoist of all people in 1987. 21st equal.

Only winner was Denis law and Jimmy Johnstone was 3rd once.

Last person playing in Scotland to be nominated was Laudrup in 1996.

Larsson in 2001, 2003?

Discussed this subject on Radio Clyde tonight. They came up with a pretty good system for determining whether someone was 2world class" or not: would they make it into the 23-25 man short list for the Ballon d'or?........I've not checked but I would hazard a guess that Darren Fletcher was never nominated....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3UjnW1ZreE