Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

I'd say top 5-10 in your position is an argument for world class.

If you thought about it in terms of another sport, tennis for example, there is 5-6 world class players. The top two just seem to be a bit further ahead right now just like Ronaldo and Messi now.

Davie cooper? He was that "world class" he was only good enough to play for his national side 14 times or something!

Matt le Tissier got 8 caps for England. Scotland and England have a bit of a reputation for dumping talent in favours "big engine" "covered every blade of grass" type players.

Davie cooper? He was that "world class" he was only good enough to play for his national side 14 times or something! Another example of an individual whose ability was exaggerated greatly upon death.

Great job at trolling mate. Bravo.

To be classed as World Class you have to be someone that any football fan across the world would instantly pick for at the very least a 22 man squad, if not an XI.

Says your arbitrary definition that is actually nonsense.

I would say world class is someone who puts in consistent top quality performances at the highest levels in football.

Says your arbitrary definition that is actually nonsense.

I would say world class is someone who puts in consistent top quality performances at the highest levels in football.

Tbf, your definition is arbitrary, or at least subjective, too.

Sensible thing would be to define 'world class' at the top of the thread, then ask 'which Scottish players fit into this category?'

The Davey Cooper chat always baffles me. A boy in work was touting it one day, and as my memory of him is pretty vague I thought i'd read up a bit on his career.

Clydebank

Rangers

Motherwell

Clydebank

Hardly the career path of a world class footballer.

I've obviously never seen him play but from the highlights I've seen of him(Our goals in the '91 final etc) I've never really got the hype. Hard to judge midfielders based on highlights though.

Darren Fletcher was instrumental in getting Man United to the final of the top competition in world football. He was a vital player for one of the top two most successful clubs in football between 2008-2011, I'd say there's a huge argument he was world class.

I doubt you'd see Uruguayan people saying Cavani isn't world class because Ibra, Suarez and Aguero would be chosen up top instead of him. Classic Scottish mentality.

There were numerous players who could have done what he done, he's never been one of the worlds best holding midfielders.

Is there not some stat from around that time that stated if Fletcher played for Man Utd they won, and when he wasnt playing the win rate dropped to about 60%?

I dont think he was a great footballer more that Ferguson recognised his strengths and deployed him in a way that played to them.

An important part of a very succesful team is how i would sum it up.

Edited by JamieT1314

The Davey Cooper chat always baffles me. A boy in work was touting it one day, and as my memory of him is pretty vague I thought i'd read up a bit on his career.

Clydebank

Rangers

Motherwell

Clydebank

Hardly the career path of a world class footballer.

I'd reply to this but the ignorance speaks for itself.