Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

You folk seriously need to get a grip! a world class player is a player who would walk into any side in the world, would be a contender for a world XI and would be revered the world over. You seriously think a couple of bog standard midfielders like Lambert and Fletcher fit that criteria??? do you think ANYONE outside of Scotland or hardcore Dortmund fans remember Lambert? You reckon ANYONE outside of Scotland (even Man U fans) will remember Darren Fletcher??? get real.

Dagleish and Souness were our last 2 world class players.

Raging?

I think it's a healthy feature of our culture, if indeed it really does exist. I suspect it's overstated though.

Perhaps. But im just sick of the way Scottish people just put Scotland down all the time. A lack of belief is inherent in our land.

I honestly think that could have changed last yr and would have had a very positive impact on our sports

Ok. So many are arguing that D.Fletcher, Lambert and Collins where or where not world class. Whilst none are in the league of Ronaldo, Bale or Messi surely many can agree that these players are the last players we've had playing at the highest level. I.E. Playing at top clubs and making the far reaches of the champions league!? Lambert and Fletcher won the cup with Dortmund and Man Utd and Collins made a semi-final with the French champions and if I remember correctly Monaco put out a very strong Man Utd that year.

You don't play regularly for any of these teams without being a top quality player. Some would say world class, some wouldn't.

We can also agree that these three at their peak represent a far better quality than any of our current crop.

My hope is that Gordon sees sense and plays the West Brom captain D.Fletcher against Poland at Hampden next month as clearly Scott Brown has shown he is not up to it.

Guest DAVIDB69

Or is he shite, bound to fall into the championship?

Would imagine advocat has had enough, supporters patience with him was gone as well.

Would imagine a championship loan in January beckons

To be classed as World Class you have to be someone that any football fan across the world would instantly pick for at the very least a 22 man squad, if not an XI.

Even though I think Collins, Lambert and Fletcher were all good players who played at the top level, they aren't world class like Messi, Xavi or Iniesta.

I don't even think there are necessarily world class players in every position at any one time. If asked to pick a world XI you'd probably get a lot of varied choices for central defence for instance because there isn't really a recognized stick on player for that positions whereas everyone would pick Messi and Ronaldo.