Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Sorry but if you honestly believe that Paul Scholes was a better player than Darren Fletcher between 2008-11 then there is no hope for you. Please refrain from replying to my posts again or I will get you and your wrong opinions banned.

:lol::lol::lol:

A brilliant, brilliant footballer.

Do you honestly believe otherwise?

Honestly, I can't remember what this argument was about. Scholes was quite a bit better than him at his peak but by around 2008/9 I'd say Fletcher had surpassed him. Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Honestly, I can't remember what this argument was about. Scholes was quite a bit better than him at his peak but by around 2008/9 I'd say Fletcher had surpassed him.

The 'argument' came from Chlamydia Kid quoting Alex Ferguson listing the best players he'd worked with at Man United. Fletcher, unsurprisingly, did not feature.

You however, found the notion of Scholes being described by his manager as 'World Class' hilarious. I pointed out that such a tag fits Scholes perfectly. Your response was to say I must have ginger hair.

Then you brought Scholes up again two months later, for reasons best known to yourself.

The 'argument' came from Chlamydia Kid quoting Alex Ferguson listing the best players he'd worked with at Man United. Fletcher, unsurprisingly, did not feature.You however, found the notion of Scholes being described by his manager as 'World Class' hilarious. I pointed out that such a tag fits Scholes perfectly. Your response was to say I must have ginger hair.Then you brought Scholes up again two months later, for reasons best known to yourself.

I've read it back now. What I actually said was Scholes wasn't any better than Fletcher from 2008-11 and laughed at someone saying Scholes was World Class in that time period. Which I stand by. Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

I can picture the scene- 3 young kids in the Mexican barrios or slums of Rio getting a game of 'world cuppy' but the game can't start because 2 of them are to busy fighting over who is going to be...................... Darren Fletcher. :lol::lol::lol:

Yet you can picture them fighting out over who wants to be Nigel de Jong. Okay buddy.

I've read it back now. What I actually said was Scholes wasn't any better than Fletcher from 2008-11 and laughed at someone saying Scholes was World Class in that time period. Which I stand by.

Well you didn't do it terribly carefully.

Your opening gambit on the subject was Scholes' name accompanied by a laughing smiley. This followed Chlamydia kid quoting Ferguson.

It's clear that you didn't rates Scholes as up to much at all. I think that's a strange view on such a highly regarded player.

Haha. The comments on here are hysterical. We've had no true world class players since the 70s-80s. Lambert in his prime winning ECL season possibly. But only one in 90s. Barry Ferguson couldn't make it at Blackburn so how the hell was he world class. Lol.

Darren Fletcher still is quality and I think Strachan needs to bring him back into fold with captains arm band for World Cup qualifiers ahead of Scott Brown. Doing a great job with Morrison at WBA. His time at ManU was excellent. He's genuinely the best we've had since Lambert but 'World Class'...come on now. Let's no demean that title.

Just seen this thread and I don't know if it has been mentioned before as a definition of world class but Denis Law was chosen for a Rest of the World XI v England in 1963 alongside Eusebio, Di Stefano and Santos etc. He also scored. Among the subs were Puskas and Jim Baxter.

In the 50 odd years since then only Kenny Dalglish comes to mind!

I will put it out there and say James McFadden was pretty special at one time for Scotland. If the James McFadden of 06-09 had played in the current team, we would be at the euros. At that time he was a cut above everybody and the only exciting player in the starting XI for a few years. Shame to see what his career came to down south. Should've\could've been a lot more succesful! Thoughts?

I will put it out there and say James McFadden was pretty special at one time for Scotland. If the James McFadden of 06-09 had played in the current team, we would be at the euros. At that time he was a cut above everybody and the only exciting player in the starting XI for a few years. Shame to see what his career came to down south. Should've\could've been a lot more succesful! Thoughts?

My thoughts are that McFadden was an exciting and very important player for Scotland, for a decent spell. The latest Scotland team could indeed have done with someone like him at his peak, who may well have made a decisive difference.

However, this thread is about World Class players and McFadden is almost as far from that kind of status as you or I am.