Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Jim Leighton got more than double the amount of caps than Goram, and they were both around at the same time. Good keepers but not nearly world class.

As for Barry Ferguson... :lol:

Andy Goram was 10x the keeper Jim was. He only got more caps when Goram told them to ram it.

When Alan Hutton went from an average fullback to the White Cafu in a blink of an eye around 2007 id say that was pretty close to world class level. Was never the greatest technically but it didn't really matter as he just seemed to drag the ball with him with players just bouncing off him, was an absolute powerhouse for 90mins.

Always thought there was something suspicious about his sudden rise at that time.

Edited by paddymcp

Speaking of German keepers, I remember thinking Oliver Kahn was very similar to Goram. Maybe something about their stance.

No, I don't mean their toys-oot-the-pram stance on being dropped by the national team...but, aye, there's that too :P

Aye, folk did like to say he wasn't the best with the high balls. I suppose they've all got their weaknesses.

Here's some photographic evidence of his laziness with the right hand. C'mon Andy, get a grip - it's right there! :P

rangers-goalkeeper-andy-goram-lying-on-c

Andy Goram was a better keeper than Leighton, albeit for a relatively short period of time. The Tommy Burns season, for example, he was single-handedly keeping Rangers from absolute doings in the derby games. Jim Leighton was always likely to throw one in, partly because he appeared to have rickets.

Barry Ferguson too was an excellent player. Not, perhaps, the nebulous "world class", but people who dismiss him as square ball only said the same thing about Paul McStay and Gary Mcallister. They were stuck in the dark ages then and stuck in the dark ages now.

Andy Goram was a better keeper than Leighton, albeit for a relatively short period of time. The Tommy Burns season, for example, he was single-handedly keeping Rangers from absolute doings in the derby games. Jim Leighton was always likely to throw one in, partly because he appeared to have rickets.

Barry Ferguson too was an excellent player. Not, perhaps, the nebulous "world class", but people who dismiss him as square ball only said the same thing about Paul McStay and Gary Mcallister. They were stuck in the dark ages then and stuck in the dark ages now.

Agree with most of this. If Goram had been 6ft 5 he would have been world class, as it was he was vulnerable at set pieces.

McStay, McAllister and Ferguson and to a lesser extent Collins and Lambert, are the pick of our more "recent" midfielders, but none world class. If McStay had moved abroad he might have got there. Same with Cooper.

Our last world class player was Dalglish, before that probably Law, Murdoch and Baxter but before my time.

Agree with most of this. If Goram had been 6ft 5 he would have been world class, as it was he was vulnerable at set pieces.

McStay, McAllister and Ferguson and to a lesser extent Collins and Lambert, are the pick of our more "recent" midfielders, but none world class. If McStay had moved abroad he might have got there. Same with Cooper.

Our last world class player was Dalglish, before that probably Law, Murdoch and Baxter but before my time.

Can't say I've seen much of Baxter though I know he was sublime when on his game. Thing is though, he did move down south and did very little at Sunderland, and that leads be to believe he was a fine player who could shine most weeks in Scotland, but just a decent player against regular, stronger opposition.

ETA: though I realise that bevvy might well have played a part in his mediocre later career

Edited by Gordopolis

Actually quite depressing to read about '90s players who were considered comparatively poor at the time, but who we'd be ecstatic to have back now.

Pa Broon's team would have made it to this Euros, nae bather.

Actually quite depressing to read about '90s players who were considered comparatively poor at the time, but who we'd be ecstatic to have back now.

Pa Broon's team would have made it to this Euros, nae bather.

I think Berti Vogts team would have aswell.

I do think we had the players to finish top 3 this time around, we just didn't have the manager.

Can't say I've seen much of Baxter though I know he was sublime when on his game. Thing is though, he did move down south and did very little at Sunderland, and that leads be to believe he was a fine player who could shine most weeks in Scotland, but just a decent player against regular, stronger opposition.

ETA: though I realise that bevvy might well have played a part in his mediocre later career

Hard to tell with Baxter. He played for various world selects at the time and still stood out from what I hear. Players from that era tend to immediately name him as being world class. I think his best years were his first spell at Rangers - he may have broken a leg at Sunderland.

I once heard someone claim "World Class" meant if you had to create a 23 man squad out of all the players in the world who would be in it.

You'd probably be going back to the pre-World Cup era, then. Since then, I doubt an Earth FC manager would ever have been beeling if any Scottish player had pulled out of a squad to play the Martians. Plus, they'd hump our best anyway, the dirty b*****ds.

At this point, I tend to think that if you wouldn't look out of place as a first-team regular for one of the big European clubs, you're probably world class. Assuming that the 'big club' isn't going through one of their periodic flirtations with being shite, of course.