Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Other than Denis Law and Kenny Dalglish, I don't think there much scope for anyone else to get the nod.

Jim Baxter, Graeme Souness without a doubt were world class. Arguments could be made for Jimmy Johnstone, Willie Henderson, Danny McGrain, Sandy Jardine. Another Scot who probably would have went on to become a world class player was John White.

Fletcher was an unused sub in the final that United won in 2008. But yeah they're the only two to have ever 'won it'.

A more telling stay is Lambert is the only Scottish player ever to play in a UCL final on either the winning or losing side, and that was going on 20 years ago.

When you consider the amount of players we had playing in European Cup finals throughout the 70's and 80's, it's an almost unbelievable decline.

It's not as if we have players knocking on the door or close to that level either. We haven't even had a single player playing in the group stage of the Champions League in the last two seasons.

Yes, that is pretty telling.

Obviously, the numbers in the 70s and 80s were bound to decline sharply. Since Europe's top clubs basically became World Selects, being the closest neighbour of a strong league has stopped being much of an advantage in that regard.

It doesn't begin to fully explain the deterioration though.

I dread to think of the number of nationalities represented in finals over that almost twenty year period. The list will be huge and will feature plenty of countries that are more obscure than ours in football terms.

Not necessarily more gifted. But a better player for Scotland.

Can't really agree with that mate , ferguson was influential in the euro 2008 qualifying campaign , this was also the time he was equally as influential In captaining a rangers team to a European final

Main difference for me is I think ferguson was far more able to take a game by the scruff of the neck than brown ever has been

Edited by forever_blue

Good thread. Must read again.

Lambert world class because he was in a champions league winning team. Jesus fucking christ. Djimi Traore anyone?

Ferguson was better than Lambert, Fletcher better than both but not world class. Gary mac and Collins up there with those 3 as the best midfielders of my generation.

Mcfadden produced world class moments but obviously he wasn't world class.

I can't recall a world class Scottish player and have no idea how good guys like Law and Dalglish were as I never seen them play.

We're due 1, hopefully Gauld lives upto the hype.

Barry Ferguson was though - and he was also the last world class player Scotland has had.

This is a really tricky one to argue. Barry had a year or two under Wee Dick when he was obviously world class and ripped the pish out of 'European' opponents.

The contrary view is that he did it too seldom and wasn't even the best player in The Ferguson Hoose.

• 2 weeks later...

Goram surely the last. Regularly discussed as being one of the best keepers in Europe during the early Nineties, and one of that elite class of keepers who seem capable of pulling off miracles on a regular basis.

Consensus on here seems to be that he'd have been snapped up by a bigger continental club if he was that good, but he seemed happy to be at Ibrox, and that's a miserable criteria for judging the quality of British footballers in general anyway - the majority of players born here have no interest in playing abroad, and I'm sure that's an attitude that is well known on the continent. Had Goram been born in any of the major European nations, he'd have been a regular in their national squads, so that's good enough for me.

Nothing since then. Fletcher and Lambert were good squad players, but replaceable without too much difficulty. Craig Gordon could well have found himself at a European power, but we'll never know now. Barry Ferguson was a good player, but we're getting into silly territory now - someone will seriously suggest The Thumb if we're not careful :P

Goram surely the last. Regularly discussed as being one of the best keepers in Europe during the early Nineties, and one of that elite class of keepers who seem capable of pulling off miracles on a regular basis.

Was that not just the Scottish media? Not sure I'd use that as much of a yardstick if so. His performances in the 92/93 Champs League are less subjective, though I'd still find it hard to bracket him as world class based on those 6 or so games. A world class performance in that tournament is how I'd put it, but overall I'd say he was a notable, solid 'keeper.

Jim Leighton got more than double the amount of caps than Goram, and they were both around at the same time. Good keepers but not nearly world class.

As for Barry Ferguson... :lol:

Edited by Lex

Was that not just the Scottish media? Not sure I'd use that as much of a yardstick if so. His performances in the 92/93 Champs League are less subjective, though I'd still find it hard to bracket him as world class based on those 6 or so games. A world class performance in that tournament is how I'd put it, but overall I'd say he was a notable, solid 'keeper.

That's how he was seen down south too, for what it's worth. I doubt Scottish football gets much attention in Europe, so it's hard to know, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get notable write-ups on the odd occasions they were exposed to him (arf).

Jim Leighton got more than double the amount of caps than Goram, and they were both around at the same time. Good keepers but not nearly world class.

Jim Leighton never had that air of invincibility, despite being a quality keeper, and he had that period of appearing out of his depth at Manchester United (which may well have been due to confidence, as he claims). Just my opinion, of course, but I'd have been surprised if Goram had ended up there (before the age of 103, or whatever it was) and experienced similar problems. It's not necessarily worth reading too much into the number of caps awarded either, considering someone's already mentioned Jimmy Johnstone only receiving 20, or something daft.