RWC 2015

The Gudderman

Not particularly willingly, IIRC - weren't they part of an IRB scheme which was later abandoned?

Like the 'Pacific Islanders' XV.

Only 5 visits since 1990s - 2 since 2006:

Italy - visited Fiji and Samoa in 2000

Ireland - visited Tonga and Samoa in 2003

Italy - visited Fiji in 2006

Scotland - visited Fiji and Samoa in 2012

Italy - visited Fiji and Samoa in 2014

The IRB touring calendar has been drawn up until WC 2019, I think the only other team due to visit the Pacific Isles are Wales in 2017, during the Lions tour. At the moment we're getting Wales/France/England/Ireland being sent to the SANZAR countries for 3 test series and losing every test (apart from England drawing one against SA a few years ago). I'd like to see the Rugby Championship expanded to 6 and have 2 of Fiji/Samoa/Tonga/Japan/USA/Canada added on a 3 year rotation, and Uruguay could be added to the PNC and compete against the 4 not in the Rugby Championship.

Georgia and Romania should be getting more tests against the 6N teams in the Autumn or as a starter to the Summer tours. On a side note, I see the IRB are suggesting the 2023 World Cup may be expanded to 24 teams.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Italy weren't even really first. More just right place at right time. There was a time it was thought Romania would be the ones to join.

if Germany or Spain had been unbeaten in the nations cup for the last 3 years, they'd be fast tracked straight into the 6 nations, noone would care about the temporary end of the fucking Calcutta or Garibaldi cups. Because its Georgia, in an inconvenient location and a small TV market, there's not the willingness there to make it happn. Aside from anything else, an away day in tblisi doesn't have the same ring to it.

Idont know too much about the club game but I'd assume an extra 6/7 nations weekend would be rather inconvenient for them?

if Germany or Spain had been unbeaten in the nations cup for the last 3 years, they'd be fast tracked straight into the 6 nations, noone would care about the temporary end of the fucking Calcutta or Garibaldi cups. Because its Georgia, in an inconvenient location and a small TV market, there's not the willingness there to make it happn. Aside from anything else, an away day in tblisi doesn't have the same ring to it.

Idont know too much about the club game but I'd assume an extra 6/7 nations weekend would be rather inconvenient for them?

The weekend before the 6 Nations starts (the last weekend in January) is usually free but not this season due to the World Cup. Other than that there are no free weekends.

I think at the moment there are 2 free weekends during the 6 nations, fixtures are play 2 weekends, one off, play one, one off, then play 2.

Usually the majority of players dont go back to their clubs on the weeks off, and most years there are league fixtures during the 6 nations weekends anyway. So realalistically you could expand to 7 or 8 teams over the same time period, it would just mean that there would be no weekends off and you play either 6 weeks with one off (ie 3 weeks, 1 off, 3 weeks) or 7 weeks on the trot and it would have no impact on the club game.

The only reason there are no club games now during the world cup is that they no they would not get the attendances, not lack of players

Not particularly willingly, IIRC - weren't they part of an IRB scheme which was later abandoned?

Like the 'Pacific Islanders' XV.

Only 5 visits since 1990s - 2 since 2006:

Italy - visited Fiji and Samoa in 2000

Ireland - visited Tonga and Samoa in 2003

Italy - visited Fiji in 2006

Scotland - visited Fiji and Samoa in 2012

Italy - visited Fiji and Samoa in 2014

Wasn't aware it was part of IRB scheme. Certainly not aware that they didn't go willingly. Scotland are off to Japan and New Zealand next year.

To be honest I just don't see the appetite in adding Eastern European nations all round from a commercial point of view and impact on tournament schedule and formats. Clubs in England would resist additional games for their players and additional time away. Travel to Paris, Dublin, Rome is easy. There isn't even a direct flight from London to Tblisi! 8 hours travelling to Tblisi or a weekend in Rome/Paris...

Scotland as high as 1/8. I'm not sure where this line is coming from, this has turned into a serious test against a Japan who will be super fired up as a win here would you'd imagine pretty much get them through. They look as fit as any side in the competition, so I doubt this 4 day gap will be as big a deal as many are making out. Indeed, Jones has said that Scotland are a first half scoring team but fade, which will suit them right down to the ground.

Predictions? I'm going for a tight win either way.

Sadly missing this due to work, We will win this if we play the same way we did against France where we were unluckyto lose. My only fear is our discipline- cant afford to be giving away soft penaltys. In Stuart Hogg, Tommy Seymour and Mark Bennett our attacking options are very exciting.

Scotland to win 7+

Doesn't matter too much how many we win by so long as we score four tries or more for the bonus point.

Or would we settle for any old win just to be on the safe side?

Any old win will do, but this is a really winnable game for Scotland.

At the Pacific Nations Cup. Japan lost to USA, Tonga and Fiji and only had a single win against Canada.......

Oof... that Japanese anthem's an absolute belter.

Edit: let's start playing backing music when Scotland play football. At least we can sing in time that way.

Really? Thought it was dreadful.

Decent start so far, hoping Hogg has a decent kicking day today, otherwise we could be spending a long time on the backfoot.

Archived