Johnny Hayes

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've had to close ranks. There's been that many crap refereeing decisions and rescinded reds lately the beaks would've decided they can't undermine yet another crap referee.

Saw this coming and I think AFC should've as well.

On the actual tackle itself from where I was sitting it initially looked harsh then the lad next to me had it on his phone, 3 of us saw it again and laughed as it wasn't a red. I do however get why the ref initially gave the red due to the speed of Hayes, the Celtic lad's over reaction and the referees poor positioning but it was too much to ask that they even look at it from a players point of view.

While I was raging about it, it's a decision you can argue either way, ones like that are never going to be overturned. Frankly I think we're fortunate that McLean isn't being pulled up with for his stupidity as well. Although on the flip side Brown got away with a standard piece of thuggery.

Why does it cost £1000 for an appeal?

It's anyone's guess this one

Even worse for the likes of Aberdeen or Inverness. They have to prepare their case, travel to Glasgow, which may include an overnight stay

All to prove how incompetent a referee is and how shoddy a corrupt football association is run

It costing money for an appeal (I assume the money goes to the players' association or some such charitable donation but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Regan sat lighting cigars with it during the hearing) and an extra game to the suspension for it failing just smacks of despotic spite from the folk in charge.

Oh, and, Dave :lol:

This pishy procedure could be sorted if there was a panel of ex players and ex refs who met up every Monday to look over contentious decisions. All top league games have cameras now. Even better if they came out and explained their findings.

It would be more transparent, the fans would know why a decision was reached so even if they didn't agree they'd get an explanation.

It may even drag refereeing standards up as they'd have nobody to hide behind. I doubt there's any Scottish fitba fan who doesn't think refereeing standards are pretty low just now.

Even though seeing it live I thought it was no more than a yellow card I can still see why at the time the red was given. So we've a player who now has a two game ban for a tackle which wasn't even the worst in the match.

On a slightly different slant I look forward to Yogi going head to head with the compliance officer after reading his views in the local rag this morning.

Frivolous? St Johnstone fans seem to be really touchy when it comes to Aberdeen at the moment.

Hopefully you don't suffer due to incompetent refereeing, £1000 is a huge amount of money to a club like st Johnstone.

We have, many times. My favourite was when our manager once got sent off for being angry a Celtic player who'd been off the pitch injured was allowed straight back onto the pitch directly into where we were heading with the ball, pretty sure he came on and took the ball straight away and started a counter attack they almost scored from.

Not sure when we actually last appealed anything though, maybe when Anderson was sent off for a "last man tackle" on the halfway line in a previous season.

I was a bit surprised at Aberdeen contesting the Hayes one, with the risk of an increased ban. I thought he was a bit unlucky to be sent off but it was a wee bit wreckless. One of those where you feel aggrieved at the time but then move on. I always thought the appeal procedure was more for blatant refereeing mistakes - maybe where a player goes down injured and a lad is sent off who never actually touched him.

Having said that, if hearts can get away with the Patterson one then possibly aberdeen felt it was worth a go as there wasn't much between them.

The trial by sportscene thing still grates with me. They analyse the McLean kick to death, and don't even mention Browns challenge.

Saints had 3 players cited and banned last season because of sportscene showing incidents over and over, and then would completely ignore similar incidents weeks later by others.

There was enough justification for the referee to give a red card and for the panel to uphold it. If it was a Saints player I'd be complaining

Scott Brown got away with one just as bad though, looked like a 2 footed stamp.

McLean's was just about an assault. Can't believe he got away with booting the guy on the head!

Maybe if Lustig hadn't wrapped himself around the ball he wouldn't have been in a position to headbutt MacLeans boot. Hate that, demanding a free kicking pish.

Having said that, if hearts can get away with the Patterson one then possibly aberdeen felt it was worth a go as there wasn't much between them.

This. Well worth challenging, thought Patersons was totally out of control and could see why it was given. Hayes was a mistake but it was a different panel to Patersons (one assumes a panel that didn't have to travel very far to get to hampden) so as usual we are left with a total lack of consistency on and off the park in terms of decisions/punishments etc.

Archived