Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

That’s Norrie knocked out by some unknown American kid. Terrible result for him. Andy got it all to do here, needs to find  something from somewhere.

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

That’s Norrie knocked out by some unknown American kid. Terrible result for him. 

Working harder on your fitness than anyone else without any flair does not make a number one.

Murray out then. He played well enough but he's just a bit short when it comes to playing the top 20 level guys now, especially over five sets. 
I guess he will play the US open next month, and then...? Who knows, but he won't be troubling the second week of a grand slam again I'm afraid. 

Wee bit unfair.

Tsitsipas had to play very well to beat Murray there - easily a semi-final / final standard match.

Over 5 sets yes Andy will struggle a bit but he can certainly still hang with most on the tour even with a metal hip.

Edited by cdhafc1874

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

Murray out then. He played well enough but he's just a bit short when it comes to playing the top 20 level guys now, especially over five sets. 
I guess he will play the US open next month, and then...? Who knows, but he won't be troubling the second week of a grand slam again I'm afraid. 

The problem he has now is the younger guys can just go up a gear for half an hour and take a set off him with ease (I realise that wasn’t the case today) but you see it happening in the Masters tournaments too. 

Djokovic gets away with it because his forehand and serve are still ridiculous. 

58 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The problem he has now is the younger guys can just go up a gear for half an hour and take a set off him with ease (I realise that wasn’t the case today) but you see it happening in the Masters tournaments too. 

Djokovic gets away with it because his forehand and serve are still ridiculous. 

His 1st serve last night was as good as I have ever seen it but today he barely got a 1st serve in 

He couldn’t match his performance from last night today.  Whilst Tsitsipas was able to.  If it could have finished last night he’d likely have won, but I’m not convinced he hasn’t hurt himself in that fall last night.

Its a shame as the draw has opened up and would have a genuine chances to make the quarter finals.

He is on the cusp of being seeded, just a couple of good tournaments prior to the US Open.  He has already committed to Washington and a Chinese tournament later in the year.

Next year will be his last Wimbledon and I think he will call it quits at the Olympics.  Although it’s at Roland Garros so might just go and play doubles.

Another very credible performance by Liam Broady just being edged out in four tight sets.

Swiatek is doing her best to lose this set so Djokovic/Wawrinka isn’t finishing tonight. If it even starts. 

Edited by TheScarf

Murray's comments not really a lot different from what he has said after going out early at the last two Wimbledons. Imo the scheduling did him no favours. The BBC obviously want him on about 6ish, but the way the earlier games panned out meant the later start, and given Murray's habit of games lasting 4+hours there was little chance of it finishing on Thursday night. You wonder if he might have wanted to squeeze a few more games in if he hadn't had that fall, the 5 live commentary team were certainly under the impression that they would have played on if either player had wanted to.

Fine margins though, like everyone else I'm stunned he didn't review that line call, and although he didn't serve as well yesterday he was only broken once in the match, that was rare even at his peak. Tsitsipas certainly had to dig out one of his best ever displays on grass to come through it.

Wimbledon 2023 results: Andy Murray struggling for motivation after second-round exit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66139993

Edited by peasy23