Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Djokovic through in four sets against 18 year old Croat Dino Prizmic. Took him over four hours, which is his longedt first round slam match of his career apparently. Prizmic definitely looks like a player that we will be seeing a lot more of, there’s not many 18 year olds that have taken sets off Novak in grand slams. 

Based on that can't see Murray sticking it too much longer. Looked resigned to defeat long before it arrived and the statement from him of not being able to compete with the best players, which today he was nowhere near, it really does look like times up. One last push until Wimbledon? 

Murray out in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, 6-2. Sair yin considering it was a kind draw against a player who has no realistic chance of getting beyond the third round. Looked like he didn’t want to be there in that last set. Have to expect that will be the last time we will see him at the Australian Open.  

Edited by Lex

I think he's done after Wimbledon.  Perhaps he'll finish at the US Open as that's where he won his first Grand Slam.  But aye, this has to be his last year, surely.

There's the debate now as to whether he should've retired 'on top' as in at the 2019 Australian Open or keep battling on into his late 30s, losing in the 1st or 2nd round of every tournament, getting routinely bodied by guys 10-15 years younger than him who all now seen to have Fernando Gonzalez power on both wings.  I don't think the first option was ever going to happen to due to his fierce competitiveness, but seeing him barely getting to the 3rd round of any tournament is a hard and frustrating watch.

What's happening to Andy is perfectly normal and happens to almost all pro tennis players. They peak late 20's, then their body starts to breakdown and by the time they're in their mid 30's they're no longer competitive at the top level.  This has happened to all but three of the major winners of Andy's generation, Del Potro, Cilic, Wawrinka are all in a similar boat. I remember the great Pete Sampras retired at 31 and that was not unexpected, he had injuries mounting up, was past it and it was time for him to quit. 

Nadal, Federer and Djokovic, who all won slams after their 35th birthday, is the abnormal thing here. They're the three oldest slam winners of the last 50 years.  I suspect their freakish longevity is having an influence and making other players carry on a bit longer than they should have. Murray, Wawrinka and CIlic all grand slam champions, all mid to late 30's, all still plugging away, and all three of them lost in the first round of the Australian Open in the last 24 hours. Del Potro did retire but he's trying to make a comeback.  They should all have packed it in years ago, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they all kept going for another year or two, and why not.

49 minutes ago, Lex said:

What's happening to Andy is perfectly normal and happens to almost all pro tennis players. They peak late 20's, then their body starts to breakdown and by the time they're in their mid 30's they're no longer competitive at the top level.  This has happened to all but three of the major winners of Andy's generation, Del Potro, Cilic, Wawrinka are all in a similar boat. I remember the great Pete Sampras retired at 31 and that was not unexpected, he had injuries mounting up, was past it and it was time for him to quit. 

Nadal, Federer and Djokovic, who all won slams after their 35th birthday, is the abnormal thing here. They're the three oldest slam winners of the last 50 years.  I suspect their freakish longevity is having an influence and making other players carry on a bit longer than they should have. Murray, Wawrinka and CIlic all grand slam champions, all mid to late 30's, all still plugging away, and all three of them lost in the first round of the Australian Open in the last 24 hours. Del Potro did retire but he's trying to make a comeback.  They should all have packed it in years ago, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they all kept going for another year or two, and why not.

It's just tough to figure out what they are trying to achieve, I presume they don't need the cash. Can't see any of them winning anything of note, so why continue to put your body through hell to turn up at tourneys to be dispatched comfortably by jobbers you would have hammered years ago?

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

It's just tough to figure out what they are trying to achieve, I presume they don't need the cash. Can't see any of them winning anything of note, so why continue to put your body through hell to turn up at tourneys to be dispatched comfortably by jobbers you would have hammered years ago?

That’s my take on it as well. Hang the racket up and go home and watch your kids grow up ffs.

Edit - all that off season preparation from Murray and Wawrinka to be beaten by 2 utter jobbers in Etcheverry and Adrian Manna-fucking-rino?  Call it a day lads. You’ve had your fun. 

Edited by TheScarf

18 hours ago, TheScarf said:

That’s my take on it as well. Hang the racket up and go home and watch your kids grow up ffs.

Edit - all that off season preparation from Murray and Wawrinka to be beaten by 2 utter jobbers in Etcheverry and Adrian Manna-fucking-rino?  Call it a day lads. You’ve had your fun. 

Have to agree, I don't know what Murray's getting out of it now, whether there's a delusion that there's some Hollywood last big tournament win in his mind or whether it's more the workaholic tendencies these guys all have, but surely he can't believe it's worth it anymore. I would have retired after the 2019 Australian as you mentioned earlier, revolutionary surgery or not he was never realistically getting back to the top. Say you've given it your best shot but you're going to retire as a multiple grand slam and two time Olympics winner and spend time with your kids - he'll never want for money again; can always do the odd bit of coaching and I'm sure the BBC would love to have him for a couple of weeks of Wimbledon every year. It's all just a bit sad now

Edited by GHF-23

3 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Have to agree, I don't know what Murray's getting out of it now, whether there's a delusion that there's some Hollywood last big tournament win in his mind or whether it's more the workaholic tendencies these guys all have, but surely he can't believe it's worth it anymore. I would have retired after the 2019 Australian as you mentioned earlier, revolutionary surgery or not he was never realistically getting back to the top. Say you've given it your best shot but you're going to retire as a multiple grand slam and two time Olympics winner and spend time with your kids - he'll never want for money again and can always do the odd bit of coaching. It's all just a bit sad now

That's it for me too.  He's never going to re-live yesteryear, he's getting bodied by anyone in the top 50, he's 37 in 4 months and has 4 kids under the age of 10.  Get yourself home ffs.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That's it for me too.  He's never going to re-live yesteryear, he's getting bodied by anyone in the top 50, he's 37 in 4 months and has 4 kids under the age of 10.  Get yourself home ffs.

Flip side - would have to spend more time with Judy

image.thumb.png.8b343d4c63b63e762c442ee15ee1bca7.png

Challenger tour back in Glasgow next month for the first time in years. It's a decent day out and there's usually some names you've heard of playing along with the usual youngsters and jobbers. Best part is it's free to go along and watch. 

All the big names through today, but Djokovic did drop another set against the Aussie Popyrn before winning in four. He will play the conqueror of Murray. Etcheverry, in the next round.  Tiafoe the highest seed to fall so far. 

Norrie now the only remaining Brit in the singles.

Did notice only 4 players in the men's draw are yet to lose a set after 2 rounds with Sinner and Etcheverry the only seeds. Imagine that'll change tomorrow.

After three quarter finals it looked like we would have seeds 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the semis, but it was not to be. An upset of sorts happened in QF number four, Norrie's conqueror Zverev beating Alcaraz in four sets. The smart money is on a repeat of the US Open final in August, Djokovic v Medvedev. Sinner will have one of these breakout wins against Djokovic one day, but probably not here, maybe in 2025. I can't see how Zverev beats Medvedev on the hard court to be honest, but stranger things have happened. 

image.png.277871cfb129626fbf24a45fe139323c.png

Didn’t see the wife beater getting one over Alcaraz in a best of 5 match. I watched an hour of it at lunch and he was imperious.

Sinner beats Novak in four sets 🤯

We will have a new Australian Open Champion for the first time since 2014.

Edited by Lex