Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Good tournament from Murray to get to the third round, but just dropped off physically at the end of the third set there. No surprise given his age. Thats twice he’s lost to Mahac already this year.

He was obviously on the verge of retirement without this injury, and it sounds like another nasty one. He may have played his last game.

IMG_6461.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Well done to GB's women's team, beating France on clay to qualify for the finals in Seville later this year.

Katie Boulter was ragdolled in the first rubber yesterday, but came back today and won convincingly. Emma Raducanu was utter class in both her rubbers. Real signs that she has a good chance of fulfilling her potential if she can get a good run without injuries.

I barely noticed the Monte Carlo Masters was on this week.  Tsitsipas beat Ruud 2-0 in the final to claim his hattrick there and 3rd in 4 years.  His style really seems to suit the clay.

Cameron Norrie beating Bautista Agut in the Barcelona Open was his 200th ATP win. Seven other British men have achieved that milestone.

For a bit of fun, can you name those seven. (Clue - they go back to the 1970s.)

15 minutes ago, printer said:

Cameron Norrie beating Bautista Agut in the Barcelona Open was his 200th ATP win. Seven other British men have achieved that milestone.

For a bit of fun, can you name those seven. (Clue - they go back to the 1970s.)

Murray, henman, ruzedski, bates, mottram, Lloyd (j), Lloyd (d) would be my guess

26 minutes ago, specsaver said:

Murray, henman, ruzedski, bates, mottram, Lloyd (j), Lloyd (d) would be my guess

I won't confirm in case anyone else wants a go, except to say that’s not the seven.

1 hour ago, printer said:

I won't confirm in case anyone else wants a go, except to say that’s not the seven.

Murray, Henman, Ruzedski, Mottram, Mark Cox, Roger Taylor are 6 I think from memory of their singles careers at the time (I am that old). Don't think the Lloyds would have had enough singles wins, though John in particular had a good doubles record. Can't think of a 7th atm. Hopefully come to me in my sleep!

7 hours ago, gmca said:

Murray, Henman, Ruzedski, Mottram, Mark Cox, Roger Taylor are 6 I think from memory of their singles careers at the time (I am that old). Don't think the Lloyds would have had enough singles wins, though John in particular had a good doubles record. Can't think of a 7th atm. Hopefully come to me in my sleep!

You're VERY close.

2 hours ago, specsaver said:

I would add john Lloyd to that six to make seven 😀

👍

John Lloyd was the one I was surprised about tbh. He was always portrayed as a playboy, but must have done enough on the court.

1 hour ago, printer said:

👍

John Lloyd was the one I was surprised about tbh. He was always portrayed as a playboy, but must have done enough on the court.

Couldn't think of anyone other than those mentioned by specsaver and myself. On reflection, thought it might have been Jeremy Bates. John Lloyd did have a fairly long career right enough, so fair play to him.

Thanks for giving me a sleepless night🤪

8 minutes ago, gmca said:

Couldn't think of anyone other than those mentioned by specsaver and myself. On reflection, thought it might have been Jeremy Bates. John Lloyd did have a fairly long career right enough, so fair play to him.

Thanks for giving me a sleepless night🤪

I surprised myself at missing out Mark Cox, and I would have put him in my list at the expense of D Lloyd but somehow I just have no recollection of Roger Taylor and having just checked his career he was still playing late 70's early 80's  😂. Always good to get the memory working. 

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

For extra fun, how many of those 7 are/were members of the National Front?

Just the one I think. But I'm no expert.