Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

imo, he is better than Novak Djorkovic.

He's certainly in much better form currently.

Murray trails Djokovic by 1,155 ranking points at this precise moment but he has a chance of bridging that gap or going mighty close in Australia at the start of the year.

Djokovic isn't defending much between now and the Aussie Open. He got 5 points in Paris last year and nothing at all at the Masters Cup but he did win the Australian and carries 1,000 points for it that he will drop on February 2nd.

Murray lost in the 1st round in Australia last year so is only defending 5 points there so if they were to get to the same stage as one another this time Murray would in effect take 995 points out of Djokovic and if Murray got a round further (say final instead of semi final) he'd take a further 250 points which would be enough in itself to put Murray in front. However, Murray is defending greater points between now and Australia, 250 for winning St Petersburg last year and 125 for making the Q-F in Paris. He needs to match those two results too or the gap will grow. In fact it will grow even if he DOES match them provided Djokovic at least gets beyond the first round in Paris because he'll improve his own points total. Murray will also play Masters Cup this year which he didn't last year but as said above Djokovic got nothing in that anyway so their relative performances in that will also be relevant.

I know not if Djokovic is playing anywhere else that he didn't last year which might mean extra points (like St Petersburg for instance).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Destroys Verdasco in the semis 6-0 6-3 (world numer 16) and then even more comprehensive in the final against outsider Andrey Golubev (who did beat Safin on his way) 6-1 6-1. A routine tournament win without dropping a set, I think we might see a few more of these in the future, he has the potential to outdo even the most optimistic of expectations for him. I'd honestly be surprised if he isn't world number 1 at some point in the future.

I'd honestly be surprised if he isn't world number 1 at some point in the future.

Mmmm, bit premature with that one I think but certainly displays over the last three or four months have revealed that his potential is absolutely genuine. I think Number 2 is a given in terms of actual quality (if not rankings). He's possibly there now. Federer is heading down the way albeit still capable of raising his game to a level Murray has not done (as exhibited nicely in the US Open final). Murray will probably eventually surprass him. I think he's probably better than Djokovic now and, if he avoids any daft banana skins and injury I think as said above he'll probably pass him either after Melbourne or shortly thereafter.

He's not anywhere near Nadal yet though. He is getting closer but one win in the US doesn't make it a given he'll ever outrank him and there's only a year between them in age so he's not likely to outlast him. The likes of Del Potro may become a real danger from lower down the rankings too.

Nadal's dominance of the clay court season will continue and the addition of the Madrid Masters to that will make it difficult, but I think Murray has the ability to surpass Nadal on hard and grass. The way he's been serving over the last few months will make him a much bigger threat on grass in the future and his whole game has come on leaps and bounds since Wimbledon.

The year between him and Nadal is somewhat irrelevant. Nadal is physically phenomenal and has been for a number of years. Murray is now beginning to hit his physical peak and has shown that he is a match for Nadal away from clay in this respect. He needs to up his clay game to be in contention for semi and final places (he'll never match Nadal) but if he can do this there really is no reason why he can't be number one at some point over the next 5 or 6 years, he's as well placed as anyone.

Nadal isn't as invincible off clay as he is made out to be, he has worked phenomenally hard to adapt at Wimbledon but he is still susceptible to a guy having a great day serving, as Murray has proved he can do. On hard courts his record is (all things being relative of course) even poorer, Murray's already gone further at the US than Nadal has, and he should be looking to do the same at the Australian, which is shaping up as the most open GS in years (again relatively speaking).

Nadal's dominance of the clay court season will continue and the addition of the Madrid Masters to that will make it difficult, but I think Murray has the ability to surpass Nadal on hard and grass. The way he's been serving over the last few months will make him a much bigger threat on grass in the future and his whole game has come on leaps and bounds since Wimbledon.

The year between him and Nadal is somewhat irrelevant. Nadal is physically phenomenal and has been for a number of years. Murray is now beginning to hit his physical peak and has shown that he is a match for Nadal away from clay in this respect. He needs to up his clay game to be in contention for semi and final places (he'll never match Nadal) but if he can do this there really is no reason why he can't be number one at some point over the next 5 or 6 years, he's as well placed as anyone.

Nadal isn't as invincible off clay as he is made out to be, he has worked phenomenally hard to adapt at Wimbledon but he is still susceptible to a guy having a great day serving, as Murray has proved he can do. On hard courts his record is (all things being relative of course) even poorer, Murray's already gone further at the US than Nadal has, and he should be looking to do the same at the Australian, which is shaping up as the most open GS in years (again relatively speaking).

I agree with all that (is Madrid going to clay too or have I misunderstood what you mean there?).

All I'm saying is it's a bit early to be saying it would be a "surprise" if he doesn't make world No.1. Nadal has a massive lead over him in points and isn't showing any signs of getting any worse overall. Indeed, his own hard court game is improving too and for all he lost to Murray at Flushing Meadow, that was the furthest he'd gotten there and he ought to be able to improve his Australian Open performances too. He is and will remain completely dominant on clay and I'm yet to be utterly convinced about Murray the grass court player. His serve is improving, as is his court coverage, but he's not got a really "big" serve to dominate on grass and he's sure as hell no serve-volleyer. However, he ought to be seeded top four by Wimbledon next year presumably so the draw will open up for him to match the achievements of Henman in making a semi final at least (though Henman did that four times).

As for the age thing I'm merely highlighting Nadal is unlikely to do as Federer has and start to wane a little as Murray goes by him. The likelihood is that they will, more or less, wane at the same time.

Also, in terms of outlasting him, Nadal's game takes far more out of him physically than Murray's, and he has been playing at this level for a few more years. I'd be very surprised if Murray does not outlast Nadal as a top 10 player.

Murray however has a history of a knee problem which continues to bother him from time to time and needing attention during the US Open let alone the ankle and wrist injuries that have cost him playing time in the recent past. Such injuries might cost him career longevity and are certainly more likley to occur in the Slams with more rounds and five set matches.

Destroys Verdasco in the semis 6-0 6-3 (world numer 16) and then even more comprehensive in the final against outsider Andrey Golubev (who did beat Safin on his way) 6-1 6-1. A routine tournament win without dropping a set, I think we might see a few more of these in the future, he has the potential to outdo even the most optimistic of expectations for him. I'd honestly be surprised if he isn't world number 1 at some point in the future.
Andy won the title 6-1 6-1

;)

First break for Murray in Paris without even playing.

Baghdatis had to retire injured in his match with Querrey, and it's the American world No.41 who Murray now plays in the 2nd round.

That said, he's currently higher ranked than Baghdatis, but the Cypriot has given Murray problems in the past.

First break for Murray in Paris without even playing.

Baghdatis had to retire injured in his match with Querrey, and it's the American world No.41 who Murray now plays in the 2nd round.

That said, he's currently higher ranked than Baghdatis, but the Cypriot has given Murray problems in the past.

And Querry gave Nadal problems at Flushing Meadow.

I have to say I don't especially see that as a "break". In present form Querry is a tougher proposition than Baghdatis.

And Querry gave Nadal problems at Flushing Meadow.

I have to say I don't especially see that as a "break". In present form Querry is a tougher proposition than Baghdatis.

I know that Murray beat Querry when he won the Cinncinatti masters in straight sets. Has Murray ever beating Marcos Baghdatis????