Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Best player ever?  :unsure:

699775[/snapback]

Has to be..

I think he already is the best player ever, even if he chucks the racquets away tomorrow, though clearly I cant remember the likes of Rosewall, Laver etc.

He has the most complete game of any player in the last 30 years. Plus he is so cool on the court mentally - its like watching a Rolls Royce.

Up to the new generation of Nadal, Gasquet and Murray to pressurise him.

Roddick, Hewitt etc proved nowhere near good enough to do so.

Murray is now provisionally ranked 68th in the world :D

700017[/snapback]

You don't get 'provisional' rankings in Tennis. Your World Ranking (Entry Level ranking) is all based on a rolling 12 month period, and they are updated every week. If he is No.68 after this weekend, that will be his world ranking.

They also have a 'Champions Race' ranking system, which only counts points from the 1st event of the season, and it relfects who has been the top player in a calendar year.

:D

You don't get 'provisional' rankings in Tennis. Your World Ranking (Entry Level ranking) is all based on a rolling 12 month period, and they are updated every week. If he is No.68 after this weekend, that will be his world ranking.

700085[/snapback]

Only copying what they said on the BBC at 1pm today. ;)

I meant to add 'pedant alert' to that last post.

The BBC only have a clue about Wimbledon, and nothing else.

700239[/snapback]

I think what they've done is effectively worked all the points out, putting Murray into 68th place, but it hasn't actually been officially confirmed :unsure:

Federer is a better player than Sampras as he simply doesn't have a weak point, or surface for that matter. Sampras relied heavily on a booming serve but didn't have the craft or finesse to win the French Open, the grand slam played on clay.

Federer on the other hand has so many shots so that even when a couple of them aren't working 100% his game won't collapse. He may not go onto win as many grand slams as Sampras as Sampras was probably the best mentally atuned player the world has ever seen. Federer may get bored with tennis by the time he's 26 and decide to chuck it. I've heard that he's a pretty nifty footballer too.

He may not go onto win as many grand slams as Sampras as Sampras was probably the best mentally atuned player the world has ever seen. 

700370[/snapback]

I think he will. Only boredom can stop him and he seems to love tennis.

His girlfriend is ambitious enough for his career that she gave up playing to manage it. I cant see her encouraging him to stop.

Federer is a better player than Sampras as he simply doesn't have a weak point, or surface for that matter.  Sampras relied heavily on a booming serve but didn't have the craft or finesse to win the French Open, the grand slam played on clay.

That'll be the Grand Slam that Federer hasn't won then, :rolleyes:

To say Sampras didn't have craft or finesse is ridiculous. Od course he did. He also had that superb serve, which putting it all together was the reason he won so many majors.

To say Sampras didn't have craft or finesse is ridiculous. Od course he did. He also had that superb serve, which putting it all together was the reason he won so many majors.

700547[/snapback]

But he was a comparatively poor clay court player - Federer is not.

Clay is The Express's worst surface clearly, but he is very capable of winning the title - Sampras never was and he knew it.

• 2 weeks later...

clicky

Murray should whip Rusedski off the court in this one.

Nice opportunity to show them up, considering most people this side of the Wall couldnae give a monkeys about tennis and they take it oh so seriously (well, for 2 weeks in july anyway)

clicky

Murray should whip Rusedski off the court in this one.

Nice opportunity to show them up, considering most people this side of the Wall couldnae give a monkeys about tennis and they take it oh so seriously (well, for 2 weeks in july anyway)

709789[/snapback]

Jamie Murray is clearly there on the "my brother is good ticket" - Colin Fleming is a much better player than him.

Jamie Murray is clearly there on the "my brother is good ticket" - Colin Fleming is a much better player than him.

709798[/snapback]

At least he's Scottish though. Rusedski? English?

Edited to add - I notice Baltacha's playing too. I'll take that back.

Edited by FilthyMack

• 2 weeks later...