Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Is Mackin any good? I saw him win the Scottish Open at Craiglockhart back in May, but the standard of opposition in the first couple of rounds was terrible so that maybe doesn't say much.

688793[/snapback]

Depends what you mean by good...

At World level, he is woeful. Would be better off getting a cushy coaching number at Craiglockhart, rather than earning 50p for winning a round in the Uzbekhistan Open.

Clay is Mackin's best surface...which goes to show how poor he is at the top level. I had to laugh when the commentator said he was very brave to go into the qualifying events for the big tournies where you earn nowt if you don't qualify. I don't think the Mackin family need to worry too much about cash! Plus the fact that our "top" tennis players get a fair amount of funding for trooping about the challenger circuit to only be seen on the main tour when they get Wimbledon wildcards...where they earn £10K even if they go out in the first round, which they invariably do.

Clay is Mackin's best surface...which goes to show how poor he is at the top level.  I had to laugh when the commentator said he was very brave to go into the qualifying events for the big tournies where you earn nowt if you don't qualify.  I don't think the Mackin family need to worry too much about cash!  Plus the fact that our "top" tennis players get a fair amount of funding for trooping about the challenger circuit to only be seen on the main tour when they get Wimbledon wildcards...where they earn £10K even if they go out in the first round, which they invariably do.

689575[/snapback]

I don't know Ally. According to the tennis today, Mackin has only made around £116k since he turned pro 8 years ago. Not forgetting that he won't have any sponsorship deals of note, that doesn't even equate to £15k p/a.

Will the 116K figure not what he's made in career earnings, which won't take into account LTA funding? I'm not entirely sure, but I think he's only been given wildcards for Wimbledon in the last 2-3 years since his ranking has increased.

He's actually from Paisley...but he's a big bluenose apparently :rolleyes:

Is Makin not related to the James Hunt that owns East Stirling?

693999[/snapback]

Yep.... he's his son i think.

Andy Murray has beaten Bastl 6-2 6-4 to progress to the second round. Next he faces the fifth seed Soderling. Soderling's not all that brilliant though so Andy has a chance of making the quarters. :D

Yep.... he's his son i think.

Andy Murray has beaten Bastl 6-2 6-4 to progress to the second round.  Next he faces the fifth seed Soderling.  Soderling's not all that brilliant though so Andy has a chance of making the quarters.  :D

694028[/snapback]

Excellent :D

Soderling is beatable, but it'll be a tough match. Not like Andy's not had any of those in the last few months...... :lol: