Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

A couple of good entertaining matches yesterday. I like Dolgopolov as he isn't afraid to take it to Djokovic. He goes for his shots and tends to catch Djokovic unaware. He really should have closed out the match in Miami but it is difficult for a player Dolgopolov to redline for a whole match against Djokovic. You also saw that yesterday. I don't think Djokovic gets enough credit for being so good. His brilliance isn't in spectacular shot making, but in continually making another shot.

Federer was again a demon on his second serve. The greatest second serve in Men's tennis for sure. Murray is probably too aggressive on Federer's serve. In the last five sets of tennis against Federer he has carved out one break point. That to me suggests you have to change tactics on return of serve. Djokovic today will be outside the court on return of first serve, and will move to the baseline on the second serve. This will limit Federer's effectiveness on serve, as Djokovic will have more time. Murray wasn't awful yesterday just didn't do enough to win. Federer's back spin drop shot on return of serve at 5-5 in the tie break was brilliant.

Hopefully Djokovic wins to give Murray the number two spot for the US Open. Then Murray to get Nishikori, Berdych and Nadal in his half would be a dream.

Edited by Loki

He's lost 10 sets in a row against Federer so he definitely needs to have a rethink on how he is playing him. As you say Federer does far more with his second serve than any other player and he is playing at a terrific level just now.

The man knows how to hit form at the right time, I'll give him that. On that form, he's the best in the world, the best ever and potentially the best there will ever be.

A true great of the game.

The man knows how to hit form at the right time, I'll give him that. On that form, he's the best in the world, the best ever and potentially the best there will ever be.

A true great of the game.

Settle. Djokovic is still the best in the world by a fair distance.

Hardly saw any of Federers matches this week due to work(including semi and final) but Djokovic has looked off the pace this week and last week. Probably saving himself for the US Open. Not really surprised Federer has won pretty handily tbh.

With Federer and Murray currently playing the best tennis they've played in years and Djokovic having a somewhat iffy past two weeks(albeit still reaching two finals) the US Open looks like it's is going to be a cracker. :)

Federer was again a demon on his second serve. The greatest second serve in Men's tennis for sure. Murray is probably too aggressive on Federer's serve. In the last five sets of tennis against Federer he has carved out one break point. That to me suggests you have to change tactics on return of serve. Djokovic today will be outside the court on return of first serve, and will move to the baseline on the second serve. This will limit Federer's effectiveness on serve, as Djokovic will have more time. Murray wasn't awful yesterday just didn't do enough to win. Federer's back spin drop shot on return of serve at 5-5 in the tie break was brilliant.

The extra time didn't even matter. Federer delivered another serving master class. Andy Murray and Novak Djokvic pulled similar numbers against the Federer serve. Statistically speaking Murray and Djokovic are two of the greatest returners the game has ever had (Agassi completes the top three) and Federer didn't even face a break point in the two matches.

Djokovic won 13 of 61 Federer service points. Faced eight break points, was broken once. Federer served at 57%

Murray won 14 of 64 Federer service points. Faced four break points, was broken once. Federer served at 55%.

Both players groundstrokes were slower than they had been the rest of the tournament. Federer would probably be more likely to lose to Wawrinka or Nishikori where they would just swing away in that form.

In that kind of form he can win the US Open though. With that result it means Andy Murray wins the US Open Series, and if he was to win the US Open he would get an extra $1m in prize money. The draw comes out on Friday. The top 8 seeds are as follows:

Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Kei Nishikori, Stan Wawrinka, Tomas Berdych, David Ferrer and Rafa Nadal.

Kyrgios was fined 25K and banned for 28 days today because of the Wawrinka incident. This of course will be a suspended sentence where if he is a good boy for 6 months it will all be forgotten about. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have an outburst at the Paris Masters to get his 28 day ban during the off season.

It's absolutely awful. Managed to get some for Friday though.

They've totally mangled this. The "priority link" being a password everyone would have had by last night who wanted it didn't help - I'd assumed you'd have to enter your BTM number and be authenticated that way.

I've not even had the money taken from my bank account yet.

Bet they are holding tickets back as well, which is fucking pointless.

Yeah it says on the website, the "priority" tickets are sold out. Suggests to me that there is still another batch that'll be on sale for general release. Just as well because I didn't get any, since I've only just woken up, since I'm off work ill.

Guess I'll be sitting at my computer refreshing at 6.59am on Thursday then.

Yeah it says on the website, the "priority" tickets are sold out. Suggests to me that there is still another batch that'll be on sale for general release. Just as well because I didn't get any, since I've only just woken up, since I'm off work ill.

Guess I'll be sitting at my computer refreshing at 6.59am on Thursday then.

Apparently today it opened at 6.55 - so worth checking that on Thurs.

Apparently today it opened at 6.55 - so worth checking that on Thurs.

Ahh cheers, will do.

Here's hoping I can get some on the Friday, since that's the only day I can go.