Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

If you compare Nadal and Murray's position on return it's incredible the difference. I know standing so far back has always been what's worked for Nadal, but it must be so much easier and less intimidating to serve against that than someone like Murray who has the ball back at you almost before you've set yourself after the serve. As he declines physically that position surely is going to be harder to maintain as well. Can't see him changing it at this age though.

Yeah I have wanted to see Murray play Nadal in a Slam this year, as it would be an obliteration. Nadal has to rethink his game, unless he will recover the physicality that made his style of play so successful. Even the depth on his forehand and backhand is short nowadays.

Murray played extremely well today and fully deserved his win. in the US Open Series swing Murray has only lost once to Djokovic (Murray leads 5-1 in Cinci, Canada and the US Open). The slower hard courts and indoor courts Djokovic owns Murray, but in the zippier outdoor courts Murray fares far better. That also levels them 6-6 in finals.

Some of the shots on display by both guys was utter class. A really superb three hours of entertainment. The precise moment I thought he might actually win today? Winning the toss and electing to serve.

Great win. Was really impressed by the way he dealt with being called for touching the camera. Obviously questioned the decision, but then just said 'right okay', forgot it and won the game. It's the kind of thing that in the past would have caused him to lose the plot for 15 minutes.

Speaking of which, Murphy had a shocker in the chair yesterday. It seemed like he was trying to make it about him, in the way you often see someone like Willie Collum do. Failed miserably at it as well.

I don't think I've ever heard an umpire say a ball was 'definitely' out on a call like that which was rather odd. I've limited sympathy with Murray there, his general hopeless use of challenges put him there and if he was confident he would have used it, but the umpire ended up looking pretty silly.

Was interesting to see Murray just go for a challenge in the third set too when he only had one left, I'd like to see players do that more as there is a tendency to be overly cautious 'just in case' when in fact the number of times it's an issue is limited. Even having used all his challenges by 3-1 Murray didn't have any issues.

Backhand was absolutely phenomenal, it's been years since I've seen him hit it that well and consistently. I'm not too sure about the 'Murray needs to be more aggressive' narrative as a blanket rule as Murray is actually increasingly effective against Djokovic when the points go longer, but he does need to be a bit more ambitious in tight moments, and he got that spot on yesterday. Especially towards the end of the third he could have got tentative on match points or 15-40 down on his own serve but he kept going for it.

His play right now is the perfect blend of defence and aggressiveness. I still feel he would benefit slightly by not stepping as far inside the baseline on second serve returns against Federer and Djokovic. Their placement tends to be very deep and even half a step further back would give him a bit more time. But he's the most aggressive player on tour currently on second serves.

After the US Open last year he had slipped out of the top 10. Now he is number two, if he has any ambitions to secure the no.1 spot he really has to beat Novak more times than he loses to him particularly in the Slam matches. But his game is looking good, he is comfortably no.2 in the race to London.

On to Cincy and he is due to face the winner of Mardy Fish and Victor Troicki. Mardy Fish will be retiring after the US Open. he will be playing doubles with Andy Roddick there. Fish currently leads by a set and a break. Their head to head is 4-4 with Mardy Fish winning three in row in 2010.

He would then be seeded to face Dimitrov. Then Cilic would await in the QF. If he was to make the SF, he could only be pipped to the no.2 seed by Federer if Federer won the event.

Edited to add: Mardy Fish beat Victor Troicki.

Edited by Loki

Yeah Mark Petchey was saying that last night in commentary and it's hard to disagree, it's an issue against Djokovic especially because the upside of taking the ball early is greatly reduced by Djokovic's outstanding elasticity meaning it's exceptionally hard to step in and hit a winner with that ball.

Watched the last set of Coric - Zverev today. Very interesting stuff. Two very motivataed/determined young guys. Could definitely see a big rivalry between them happening down the line, there was already bit of needle in the match today with Zverev complaining to the umpire about Coric's grunts.