Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Think Andy Murray and Paes will win. Andy Murray would be a top 5 doubles player if he played regularly.

If he played all the time he would be better than the Bryans, but you could say that about any of the top ten singles players. As experienced as Paes is, the chemistry between Murray and Peers will be far better. They are quite rightly favourites. Plus with it now been moved till tomorrow Murray will be playing Muller before he plays the doubles. That could easily go three long sets if he serves well. With a QF possibly to prepare for you would have to ask how much his heart will be in it, despite getting to play his brother.

Cilic got beat by Tomic today, so that would be an easier QF for Murray if he gets past Muller. Although he deals with Cilic rather well.

Edited by Loki

If he played all the time he would be better than the Bryans, l.

I don't think that's true at all. Its a completely different game.

He might be top 10 in the world at doubles but he might not. There's a lot more depth in doubles.

He's had some decent Davis Cup doubles results but also some rubbish ATP losses, with decent partners .

In a very heated match last night Wawrinka retired against Kyrgios. After losing the first set in a tie break, he went on a foul mouthed rant at the umpire. He got a code violation and he seemed to calm down. At the start of the second set, Stan said something to him while he was about to serve. He then walked half way up the court and said "Kokkanikas has banged your girlfriend". Stan was broken that game, and lost the second set.

I don't think that's true at all. Its a completely different game.

He might be top 10 in the world at doubles but he might not. There's a lot more depth in doubles.

He's had some decent Davis Cup doubles results but also some rubbish ATP losses, with decent partners .

Tactically it is a far different game. But it just takes a solid partner and adaption to the different tactics used. A good singles player would always be able to adapt if they played doubles full time. Pospisil and Sock won the Wimbledon championships as a scratch pairing.

Yeah he has had some honking results. I wouldn't have him as a top 50 doubles player right now. Him and Djokovic were not a good pairing in the slightest. Also think that singles players take wild cards for the doubles, and tank them after a match to concentrate on the singles at the expense of other doubles pairs out of the top 16.

Would you see Andy and Jamie becoming permanent doubles partners in a couple of years when Andy starts to wind down on his singles career?

I don't think Andy would ever commit to playing doubles permanently. He will probably team with Jamie in some events pre Olympics next summer. His only doubles titles have been won with Jamie. It is very difficult for an elite singles player to also be in a permanent doubles partnership. Too much wear and tear on the body, and less recovery time.

But in saying that Paes, Nestor, Mirinyi, Peya and Borpana are all excellent doubles players and they are all in their late 30s and early 40s. So there certainly would be scope to change disciplines if he wanted to carry on playing.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Murray would be better than the Bryans if he committed solely to doubles. I doubt he'll ever do it, with the grind of the singles tour, the amount of his life he's committed to tennis and the fact that he has a baby on the way, I'd expect him to pack it in once he starts to lose his edge at singles.

We don't know what Wawrinka said. Admittedly Wawrinka doesn't look too good with the whole thing coming out but regardless of that it's out of line from Kyrgios (and I'm a big fan). The insult to Wawrinka is more or less irrelevant, it's completely disrespectful to Vekic and for that he should be apologising pretty quickly (if he's got any sort of PR team surely he won't have a choice).

I can't see how anyone can actually like Kyrgios. The guy's an absolute w****r.

I'd quite like to see him play for Australia in the Davis Cup and it's in front of a football type crowd. He would fucking lose it. Probably start attacking the crowd

The insult to Wawrinka is more or less irrelevant, it's completely disrespectful to Vekic and for that he should be apologising pretty quickly (if he's got any sort of PR team surely he won't have a choice).

I think that's the point, insults like that - probably far worse - are traded in most sports. Not that that makes it right, but I don't think he should be singled out for insulting another player. But the nature of the insult is what is unnacceptable due to it probably publicly embarassing someone who is completely irrelevant to the situation. Obviously it's not good having players insulting each other in TV at all, but if he'd just aimed the insult purely at Wawrinka I'd have no real problem with that. Similar to the way Murray did with Rosol.

Murray wins rather easily against Muller 3 and 2. He had one sloppy service game, but Muller drilled a few of the second serves given to him. He awaits the winner of Tomic/Tsonga.

Kyrgios has now been fined and has publicly apologised. Seems pretty tame to sledging in some sports, but there was certainly no need for it. He should have just called Wawrinka a c**t instead. I will look forward to their next match though.

The faux outrage from the tennis world about this Kyrgios incident is hilarious.

There's folk coming out saying it makes them ashamed to be Australian. Azarenka saying it's bad parenting :lol: Get an actual grip.

I don't recall any such outrage when Murray called Rosol a c**t that no one likes, or when Del Potro told Murray he shagged his mum. This sort of shite happens all the time in tennis/sport, just get bloody on with it already.

Haha, Warwinka's tweet "I woudn't wish it on my worst enemy". What a shitebag.

Krygios is a p***k alright, although you can't help but warm to him with such wet lettuce media.

Let's get things in order. He said "Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend"

Can you imagine if it was two non-professionals anywhere else in the world, who actually have to pay per hour to play on the court, it would be certainly a lot worse than that.

We are all doomed.