Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Anyone know if murray will play monday or Tuesday- or Wednesday(I believe some us open first rounds are played on 3rd day)?

Id also imagine he will prob get night match on Louis, based on him being previous champ and having probably the most exciting 1st round clash

It was over three days the last couple of years as they played the final on the Monday. This year it has gone back to it's normal scheduling and the final will be on the Sunday. Cilic is in the Djokovic half so they will play on the first day, Murray's half on the second day. Schedule will be out for Day 2 sometime tomorrow but I would be surprised to see Murray on Louis Armstrong for his first round. That will be Arthur Ashe for sure.

It was over three days the last couple of years as they played the final on the Monday. This year it has gone back to it's normal scheduling and the final will be on the Sunday. Cilic is in the Djokovic half so they will play on the first day, Murray's half on the second day. Schedule will be out for Day 2 sometime tomorrow but I would be surprised to see Murray on Louis Armstrong for his first round. That will be Arthur Ashe for sure.

Cheers. I meant arthur ashe, ie the main one. I didnt think the previous champion necessarily played on day 1 at us open... unlike wimbledon?

Cheers. I meant arthur ashe, ie the main one. I didnt think the previous champion necessarily played on day 1 at us open... unlike wimbledon?

It's something I have always assumed just happens. Quite possibly it hasn't happened in the other slams all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Kyrgios out, Tomic in for the Aussies for the Davis Cup semi, pity, I full expected a massive heads gone from Kyrgios in front of a partisan crowd.

Nadal also returns to the Spain team for the first time in two years.

As expected John Peers not selected for Australia. Was never going to be, as I said.

James Ward beaten for the 10th consecutive match. The British team should really select Kyle Edmund ahead of him if they want to beat Australia.

Who was it that said he was a top 40 player on grass again? :lol::lol:

How many of these 10 matches were on grass?

Good knowledge though - Kyle Edmund would certainly have a good chance of winning a singles match against Australia (hint - no he wouldn't).

If we actually want to have the best chance of winning a non-Murray singles match we would pick Dan Evans.

James Ward has had a mare of season post Wimbledon. I don't even think I would play him in the Davis Cup, despite his victory over Isner. His confidence is very low. Edmund is at least winning some matches. I wouldn't even think of Dan Evans again just yet. He is winning British challenger tournaments, nothing special.

James Ward has had a mare of season post Wimbledon. I don't even think I would play him in the Davis Cup, despite his victory over Isner. His confidence is very low. Edmund is at least winning some matches. I wouldn't even think of Dan Evans again just yet. He is winning British challenger tournaments, nothing special.

He's not done well, but he is always going to go on these sort of runs from time to time as he is a very, very limited player. He manages to find an extra 20% when he has a home crowd behind him, which is too his credit, but the form he's been showing the past month or so is closer to his base level than the guy who dispatched John Isner in Glasgow earlier on in the year.

Kyrgios out, Tomic in for the Aussies for the Davis Cup semi, pity, I full expected a massive heads gone from Kyrgios in front of a partisan crowd.

Nadal also returns to the Spain team for the first time in two years.

Tomic is an enigma. He will either be utterly pathetic or will show that he has a wonderful serve and great touch when dialled in. Personally I don't think Kyrgios would have been that bothered by a partisan crowd, I think he would play the pantomime villain very well.

I would fully expect Tomic and Kokkanakis to play singles, with Groth and Hewitt to play the doubles. With the possible Hewitt to come in on the singles on the Sunday.

Dominic Inglot has got through to the US Open semi finals with his partner, so we might just see Andy rested in the doubles rubber. The Jamie/Inglot pairing took the Bryan brothers to five sets.

As for who will be given the nod for the second singles rubber, I would imagine they will opt for Ward but he has been abysmal. Even at Wimbledon he choked away victory against Pospisil. Confidence is low. Edmund has not been 100% fit as of late, he actually lost to an Australian in the last tournament he played. Right now I would take Edmund to play.

Dominic Inglot has got through to the US Open semi finals with his partner, so we might just see Andy rested in the doubles rubber. The Jamie/Inglot pairing took the Bryan brothers to five sets.

A. Murray will definitely play all three matches. (unless we're 3-0 up or down on Sunday morning natch)

I actually think the Davis Cup rules should be changed to prevent this. Each player should only be able to play in 2 matches over the three days, not 3. Makes it more of a team event, and less of a 1 man effort...

Edited by H_B

A. Murray will definitely play all three matches. (unless we're 3-0 up or down on Sunday morning natch)

I actually think the Davis Cup rules should be changed to prevent this. Each player should only be able to play in 2 matches over the three days, not 3. Makes it more of a team event, and less of a 1 man effort...

I fear that will happen too. Hence why I think Australia will switch Leyton Hewitt in to make Murray work even harder to get victory on that third day. If GB is 2-0 up on going into the doubles, they should rest him.

It would be far fairer if a player could only play 2 rubbers per tie.

Edited by Loki

Where are you getting this from ? Will there be one Match per day?

Where are you getting this from ? Will there be one Match per day?

I think you may be getting a little confused there Throbs.

There are 2 singles matches on Friday, 1 doubles match on Saturday and 2 singles matches on Sunday.

Andy could potentially play on all 3 days as he did against the French in the QF.

I think you may be getting a little confused there Throbs.

There are 2 singles matches on Friday, 1 doubles match on Saturday and 2 singles matches on Sunday.

Andy could potentially play on all 3 days as he did against the French in the QF.

Sorry i think that double question made it look like i had absolutely no clue what was going on!

Im going on the Saturday so just wanted to know what was going on. Says the thing starts at 1130 so the event will probably be over at about 2 or 3 then or are there warm up matches? Hope Andy plays for obvious reasons

Sorry i think that double question made it look like i had absolutely no clue what was going on!

Im going on the Saturday so just wanted to know what was going on. Says the thing starts at 1130 so the event will probably be over at about 2 or 3 then or are there warm up matches? Hope Andy plays for obvious reasons

Just the doubles on the Saturday. I have never been to the doubles day so can't tell you if they have any warm up match before it.

The doubles tie will be announced on the Thursday at the dinner, but you are allowed replacements up until two hours before the match starts. He is more than likely going to play all three matches. The only scenario I can see him not playing, is if he picks up a slight niggle on the Friday and they rest him, or they are 2-0 up and the rest him.

If Murray wins both live rubbers he will get another 140 ranking points.

Dan Evans picked as the second singles player...

Great choice Smith - gives us a genuine chance of winning all 5 matches now...

I'll say it again, I wouldn't have picked Dan Evans. Winning British challengers is a completely different ball game. No doubt he has the talent though and I am sure he will do well. Hopefully he can get back to into top 100. I would have thought Kyle Edmund would have been picked though. He must be gutted!

I'm going tomorrow. Should be fun!