Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I wouldn't be surprised to see Davydenko beating Federer, the man is in blistering form.

it would be a nice wee thought to see federer out of the picture, but i think we ll see a different federer from their last two meetings.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

it would be a nice wee thought to see federer out of the picture, but i think we ll see a different federer from their last two meetings.

I fully expect Federer to step up his game for this one, I see a 4 sets win.

What those two matches should show from Cilic is that he is capable of winning against Murray. I don't consider Murray to be much better than Roddick or Del Potro, if he even IS better than the latter.

Maybe in other tournaments, Cilic wouldn't be as much of a test, but this man will be confident and playing at his absolute peak and when you have a good player playing like that, they won't allow for the errors that Nadal did today.

In other words, this doesn't offer any better chance of reaching the final than what the alternatives were.

Of course not. At this stage of a tournament the players still there are all in form anyway. Cilic is going to be another right good player and looks like he is ready to challenge now for the majors. I like the way the guy plays and again Murray will need to play smart to beat him. Something that the likes of Roddick isn't so good at. Murray does tend to work out his opponents better than most of them. Should be a great semi though.

I lke the way Murray is coming in to the net a lot more now. He is a good volleyer and should be making use of that when he can.

I fully expect Federer to step up his game for this one, I see a 4 sets win.

You are covering your bases here :lol:

I thought Davydenko was pish in the last round, though he has had a good start to the year.

A great day for Murray and his team. Done two things really well today, hit his new aggressive strokes when he needed to in the first set - this gave him the edge in the first set. Secondly he stayed tough at the start of the second set when Nadal really started to push him behind the service line. His resolve to stay with Nadal and hang on until his opponent's level dropped off was excellent, he countered his own rise in unforced errors with improved 1st service %, and pretty much made a mockery of Nadal in the breaker.

I thought Nadal played better today in both sets than when Murray beat him at the US Open, Murray deserves his plaudits today, it was the type of mature performance that I'd expect to see from a Nadal or a Federer.

Against Cillic it's all about Murray keeping his 1st serve % up, if he can do that he should see his second final.

In the previous round Murray dropped the speed of his first serve in an effort to prevent the American from being able to latch onto his shite second serve. I'm sure he might do the same with Cilic too. His first serve percentage was up around 70% which is where he will need it to be to win this tournament. Murray can rally it out with anyone but if he is exposing that second serve too much he will suffer.

You are covering your bases here :lol:

I thought Davydenko was pish in the last round, though he has had a good start to the year.

:lol:

I expect Federer to win but, as you say, Davydenko has had a good start to the year so it wouldn't surprise me if he won.

I've just watched the match. Murray was fantastic, he controlled the tempo for large parts of the match. At times he was just overpowering the guy that powers past everyone else.

Cilic will be hellish to play in the semis, but he has a great chance now.

Watching the way Federer demolished Lleyton Hewitt the other day I doubt if Murray can win it, but even a place in the Final would be magic.

I lke the way Murray is coming in to the net a lot more now. He is a good volleyer and should be making use of that when he can.

A la Roddick at Wimbledon. The results are there for all to see.

You can't win Slams hitting slices from 6 feet behind the baseline. I think Muzza realises that now.

A la Roddick at Wimbledon. The results are there for all to see.

You can't win Slams hitting slices from 6 feet behind the baseline. I think Muzza realises that now.

Yes. Murray is game smart enough to know when it's a good play to get into the net. He is one of the smarter tennis players around and needs to use that to his advantage.

Cilic is a very good player when he is in the sort of form he is showing just now. But this is a huge chance to make the final.

Excellent result. Agree with Reynard that Nadal has real problems though - such a shame for such a nice guy. Might still win a couple more French Opens, but that could be it for him Grand Slam wise.

Can't help thinking that Djokovic-Federer semi, should they both make it, is the real final though. I fancy the winner of that to deal with Murric on Sunday.

I think Murray would beat Djokovic. I fear Davydenko more than Djokovic as far as Murray is concerned.

Federer on the other hand would be a whole different kettle of fish. I'd fancy Murray over three sets but over five Federer is still the king and Murray has to prove otherwise.

One game at a time though. Cilic will be a tough proposition but I'd fancy Murray to win it.

Did anyone catch Murray's facial expression when he realised Nadal was retiring? It was a look of 'for fuck sake'.

Aye, he didn't look best pleased. Absolutely right not to be; he had Nadal today. The fact he retired before he was beaten outright takes some of the shine off it, and no doubt the injury will be used by some to avoid giving Murray the credit he deserves for a terrific performance.

It's a bit crap having to depend on the BBC live text updates for the score, but if it wasn't for that I'd have no way of knowing anything until I got home. Same again on Thursday.

Aye, he didn't look best pleased. Absolutely right not to be; he had Nadal today. The fact he retired before he was beaten outright takes some of the shine off it, and no doubt the injury will be used by some to avoid giving Murray the credit he deserves for a terrific performance.

It's a bit crap having to depend on the BBC live text updates for the score, but if it wasn't for that I'd have no way of knowing anything until I got home. Same again on Thursday.

the sky sports text on the murray games are a alot faster. They even show the live scores for almost each point. Although there isnt any commentray on their text.