Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Will be immaterial as Murray will beat him IMO.

Cilic has won three of his last five meetings with Nishikori, including the US Open, Wimbledon this year (where he retired, granted) and Basel a few weeks back.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

so if Murray wins a set v Stan he`s through??

YES, I for one am glad Murray isn't through after 2 games, there are 200 points at stake and every little bit of motivation is a bonus.

There was that utter farce in 2010 when Murray, Del Potro and Federer didn't know who had gone through after two wins a piece.

Stan could still go through with a loss to Murray. Although I think Cilic will be in preservation mode for the Davis Cup on Friday evening. The match won't be worth watching.

Hopefully with Murray on Friday afternoon he will get the first semi on Saturday.

Cxa1F0LXUAU6qtC.jpg

Edited by Loki
To add picture to prove I speak nonsense

Head to head can only be used if there are just 2 players on same number of wins. Nishikori and Wawrinka wins mean there are 3 players on 2 wins.

Never been a fan of the group format, could easily have Murray going out and Nishikori going through on the same points, even though Murray beat Nishikori, doesn't seen right to me.

Not sure what the alternative is mind.

Head to head is immaterial, as if three finish on 2 wins they will cancel each other out. It will be sets and games.
Murray needs 1 set

22 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

If Murray gets to the final and loses to Djokovic does he remain no1?

No, he needs to remain 280 points above Novak after this week.

If Murray won his last group game and lost in the final while Novak lost his last group game and won the final Murray would be 170 points ahead with his 275 Davis Cup points coming off on the 27th of this month.

Edited by ayrmad

20 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

or a Cilic win v Nishikori.

My flabber would be well and truly gasted if Cilic puts in enough to win a meaningless game just before the Davis Cup final.

1 minute ago, irvine_buddie said:

I wonder if the bookies haven't realised this.. you can get 4/6 on Nikishori to win and 9/5 on him to win 2-0.

They've probably altered their odds to where they think will balance their books, it's for others to work out whether it's value.

3 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

I'd of said 9/5 for Nishikori to win 2-0 is decent odds even if Cilic still had something to play for.

I've had a look and the market has shifted towards Nishikori (1.88 to 1.66 with pinnacle) so I'd assume that better than 9/5 was available at some point.

4 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Head to head is immaterial, as if three finish on 2 wins they will cancel each other out. It will be sets and games.
Murray needs 1 set

Know it's extremely unlikely, but, if Murray and Nishikori both end up with a 5=3 record, and games are the same, they'd both qualify, but who'd top the group? Assume that's when head to head might come in.  

14 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

That's a good point.
World ranking perhaps?

a) Greatest number of wins;
b) Greatest number of matches played;
    Comment: 2-1 won-loss record beats a 2-0 won-loss record; a 1-2 record beats a 1-0 record.
c) Head-to-head results if only two (2) players are tied,
d) If three (3) players are tied, then:

1. If three (3) players each have one (1) win, a player having played less than all three (3) matches is automatically eliminated and the player advancing to the single elimination competition is the winner of the match-up of the two (2) players tied with 1-2 records; or
  2. Highest percentage of sets won; or
  3. Highest percentage of games won; or
  4. The player positions on the Emirates ATP Rankings as of the Monday after the last ATP World Tour tournament of the calendar year.
  5. If (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) produce one (1) superior player (first place), or one (1) inferior player (third place), and the two (2) remaining players are tied, the tie between those two (2) players shall be broken by head-to-head record