Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

28 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Aye but they changed I think, think he has Hamburg or something instead. Lendl having them all maybe wrong as well actually, sure I heard it from somewhere.

Hamburg dropped off when Madrid changed from Indoor to Clay.  Federer has won Madrid and Hamburg.  As thescarf has said he is still to win Monte Carlo and Rome

30 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Aye but they changed I think, think he has Hamburg or something instead. Lendl having them all maybe wrong as well actually, sure I heard it from somewhere.

He's still only got 7 as Hamburg was replaced by Madrid on clay which he's also won. So it's in theory a continuation. 

Madrid on indoor hard court was then replaced by Shanghai so he's still technically on 7 out of 9.

3 hours ago, Sooky said:

So what would stop Murray not ending the season as world number 1? If I remember reading, Djokovic would need to win every game at the tour finals, but if Murray made the final and lost to him, would that still be enough?

A player gets 200 points for each win in the round robin format, a maximum of 600; 400 points for winning the semi; and 500 for winning the final. As pointed out earlier, Murray is effectively 130 points ahead. Can't be arsed working out permutations of group wins, semi final losses etc. but looks like whoever goes furthest will be year end number 1.

Essentially Murray has to match Novak to get year end number one.  If they meet the winner will be guaranteed year end number one.

The draw will be tomorrow at 3pm if Raonic withdraws after this time Berdych will replace him in the draw. A draw of Novak, Stan, Nishikori and Cilic would be nice.

On 06/11/2016 at 03:03, ayrmad said:

He's up there with Buchanan' now IMHO.

If as looks likely that Andy is number 1 for a decent % of the next year(whether consecutively or playing swapsy) then I think he puts himself a level above any other Scottish sportsperson in history and will have a strong case for being top of the pile UK wide.

Edited by ayrmad

16 hours ago, Loki said:

Essentially Murray has to match Novak to get year end number one.  If they meet the winner will be guaranteed year end number one.

The draw will be tomorrow at 3pm if Raonic withdraws after this time Berdych will replace him in the draw. A draw of Novak, Stan, Nishikori and Cilic would be nice.

Unfortunately we got the exact opposite. :lol:

Not really bothered though if I'm honest, I want to see Murray put the very best to the sword and really lay down a marker for next year.

Edited by Elixir

It also means Novak will likely play Stan or Nishikori in the semi's (or even Andy), while Andy will likely play any of the three from the other group, so that could work in his favour.

Technically the most difficult draw Murray could have got going by the rankings then. I couldn't see Djokovic having too much of an issue with that group, but he may well struggle in the semi's if his form doesn't pick up. Of course Murray doesn't have a fantastic record here, but he's never been playing better so it's his best chance yet.

STAT ALERT!

In 23 combined games against Raonic, Monfils and Thiem, Djokivic has won them all.

Murray is 27-12 in combined games against Wawrinka, Nishikori, and Cilic.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

:lol: Fucking hell, someone at the ATP is pissed off at Murray being World Number 1 aren't they!

A great number of unionists too if my facebook is anything to go by.  Apparently Murray is only number 1 by default and not on merit. I sincerely hope he wins this tournament and just posts Greggy/Portillo/Clarkson meme's for days on his twitter.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A great number of unionists too if my facebook is anything to go by.  Apparently Murray is only number 1 by default and not on merit. I sincerely hope he wins this tournament and just posts Greggy/Portillo/Clarkson meme's for days on his twitter.

Same on the tennis section of the Daily Mail website; Home County little Englander Brexiteers are absolutely seething that a Jock is the best in the world.

But I was more on about that draw for the WTF.  That's literally the hardest group he could've got.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Same on the tennis section of the Daily Mail website; Home County little Englander Brexiteers are absolutely seething that a Jock is the best in the world.

But I was more on about that draw for the WTF.  That's literally the hardest group he could've got.

Aye, it's a hoor of a draw. Still fancy him to do it.