Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Just now, lichtie23 said:

On a side note this surely wraps up the sports personality of the year award

I'd say it was a formality.  There's no one close to him this year in terms of sporting achievement.  He actually had it sewn up after Wimbledon, even before the Olympics I'd have thought.

What happens when someone pulls out injured? There are big doubts over Raonic, presumably they don't just swap him with Berdych as the seedings would be messed up, you'd end up with Djokovic being in a group with effectively the 5th, 7th and 8th qualifiers, and Murray with 3rd, 4th and 6th.

Direct swap once the draw has been made. So that's exactly what would happen.

That's a joke if u ask me , all players should have to confirm their availability for the competition before the draw is finalised , djoko has a clear advantage going into this now and the difference in groups is massive. Although if it had worked out in andys favour doubt I would have even mentioned it. Nightmare group tbh

Surely the way things are currently he'll be absolutely buzzing to get going and want nothing more than to really show who the boss is.

I honestly can't wait. Obviously Andy helps but I'm fucking loving the tennis just now.

Edited by Elixir

It's a difficult group for him, but he's the best in the world. He has huge advantages over both Cilic and Nishikori. The slower court negates the power of Wawrinka.

Murray hasn't really played his best tennis here, his serve will see him get many cheap points against his opponents.

Murray should sneak through but if Djokovic wins his group he's going to get a tough match. Murray wins his group and it will be an easier match for sure.

I read that Lendl will be over for the O2 so that will give him extra motivation. Will be interesting to see if Becker is there though.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2005 at 00:41, Fuctifano said:

He won the Challenger event. He does seem a bit of a player. Hopefully over the next few years Wimbledon will turn into a Tennent's and chips fest rather than Pimm's and strawberries!

Post #4 in the thread. Disappointed in the lack of Tennent's and Chips tho.

A very difficult group for Murray, he could play decent and lose to any of those 3, if Djokovic plays decent he should beat his 3 opponents comfortably.

Hopefully Andy retains his number 1 spot come the 27th, he'll probably keep no.1 spot well into the summer if that's the case.

Although by all accounts Raonic was playing tennis today and there was no ill effect, so he is expected to play on Sunday as scheduled.

It will be interesting to see how engaged Cilic is.  With the Davis Cup the week after he might just not fully apply himself in the matches much like Murray did last year.  Cilic is key for the Croats, they will be expecting him to take the point against Del Potro to get the victory.  Wawrinka Nishikori will certainly be the match to watch in the first round of games.

I believe the two winners of each first group match play each other in the second group game.

Playing Cilic in the 3rd match would probably have been better for the reasons outlined by Loki. If Cilic loses his first couple of matches there's no way he's going to push hmself in the 3rd.

Tough group for Murray but I think the slower court will help him against Cilic and Wawrinka, and although he lost to Nishikori at the US Open that was down to a #headsgone set of tennis, on a slower court and in the right frame of mind I can't see him losing to him. Other than the US Open his record against him is 7-1, the one loss actually coming at the ATP Finals 2 years ago. However that was the season where he was totally spent by that stage after working so hard to get there, and only avoiding a double bagel to Federer after Federer gave him a game right at the end. The advantage of being in this group is that if he can win it he'll have a relatively easy semi-final, while Djokovic will have a semi-final that he could easily lose.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever