Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Very aware and more than happy to backnout of any arguement where it may appear I am on the same side as actual racist and full on moron banana. 

For me, I am no longer comfortable with the ease at which people are branded racist these days. The cartoon symbology may be the result of decades/hundreds of years of the way black people were drawn influencing the guy. And no doubt there was a time where that symbology was designed specifically to belittle black people. Also no doubt that attitude still exists today. 

That said, to brand someone a racist, I need to see more about their personal prejudices about people based on theor race. 

His cartoon either makes him a bit lazy, or potentially, but not confirmed racist for me.

You are personalising this, I tried my best not to. I am not saying this person or that is racist, I'm saying that the image itself is a racist trope.

Mr Knight's own defence of his image shows that he finds it annoying that people are offended, he doesn't actually discuss the image, it's construction or the tropes used in the composition. It's this lack of accountability, the idea that you can put out anything you want yet if people find offence with it then the issue is with the offence not the subject, is pretty mealy mouthed to say the least. In fact at one point he claims that some people can't claim it was racist because he's been drawing cartoons before they were born, as if his age in some way sets him up as the arbiter of what is and isn't racist.

It was commented on by many that the reason he doesn't see it as racist is because, like many who don't find it racist, is that he is not black, has not had to deal with racism both overt and casual, and had to deal with it not just once or twice but on an almost constant basis. It might just be that he doesn't understand why it is seen that way and that spending some time with people who do hold that viewpoint might allow him to broaden his narrow definition of what is and isn't.

Today, pictures like those seen in Tin Tin in the Congo are rightfully castigated. In the future people will look back and wonder why there were people defending Knight's presentation of a black person. Just like we do with Herge's artwork. The image doesn't even look like Williams, it looks like a classic American racist trope. I don't think anyone here has in any way countered that argument.

We need to get away from people being annoyed at other people being annoyed. That seems to be a constant trigger for people in this sort of debate. As I said to banana, we should be playing the ball not the man.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I had this conversation with Gaz iirc a while back where I said I wasnt prepared to brand someone a racist based on using the word chinky to describe chinese food. On the basis that its not enough to earn such a horrendous label. 

Again, I don't think it helps branding people racist. It's casual racism because of the history of the word. Let's for example take the word Jock. I hate being called that down in England, but many defend it as simply a harmless epithet towards Scottish people, and in isolation it is. Now imagine if the English had subjugated us to brutal oppression and inequality for centuries (oh, heh.. I know.. insert your own raised eyebrows with that!), with Jock being used as a vitriolic and general term to describe the worst things about us. Move that along the timeline so that in the 70s you had gangs of non Scots chasing down Scots and attacking them, all the time shouting Jock b*****ds and the like. Can you see why the word, while in itself not racist, holding the weight of racism?

Edited by Buddist Monk

Is this a tennis thread anymore?

The ITF further back Carlos Ramos by giving him the Davis Cup tie Croatia Vs USA this weekend.  GB play their playoff game against Uzbekistan on Friday in Glasgow.  Andy Murray won't be playing as he continues to train in Philadelphia.  Anyone know why he has that as his training base instead of Miami?  He is scheduled to play in China a week on Monday.

Is this a tennis thread anymore?
The ITF further back Carlos Ramos by giving him the Davis Cup tie Croatia Vs USA this weekend.  GB play their playoff game against Uzbekistan on Friday in Glasgow.  Andy Murray won't be playing as he continues to train in Philadelphia.  Anyone know why he has that as his training base instead of Miami?  He is scheduled to play in China a week on Monday.

Who is playing the singles for us tomorrow??Edmund and?

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Dan Evans takes the first set 7-6. Play has been pretty solid on serve. Match is pretty boring.

Evans wins the first eight points in the second set to go 2-0 up with an early break.

and in the end loses the 2nd set and goes a break down in the 1st game

Edited by ajwffc

On 9/13/2018 at 09:08, Buddist Monk said:

<racist, racism, blah blah>

So, in short, you claim it's not offensive because you don't find it offensive, and things you don't find offensive are entirely allowed because it's about freedom of expression. The thing is, you are not the sole arbiter of what is offensive

Well yes, exactly, and neither are you, nor Serena, nor Salman Rushdie, nor Zuckerberg, nor anyone.

I suggest that totalitarian ideologues operating under victimhood/saviour complexes aren't the best go-to arbiters of choice, if there are to be arbiters.

On 9/13/2018 at 09:08, Buddist Monk said:

Your victimhood claim, btw, is not addressing the issue, it's addressing the person. Play the ball not the man. I would also counter that not being black puts you at a disadvantage in judging what a section of society finds offensive.

I am absolutely playing the ball in the game being played, as the ball has been turned into 'the man' under identity politics.

See the trap identity politics sets for yourself - you've no idea what skin colour I have nor ethnicity I am, yet have referred to this twice now. Play the ball not the man, I thought?

Tell me what this e.g. 'black section of society' monolith finds offensive, or are individual e.g. black people allowed their own opinions outside of this hivemind of how 'Progressives' expect and demand e.g. black people to think and take offense? Rather racist stereotyping!