Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

18 hours ago, pandarilla said:

The very definition of tedious.

I'm slightly surprised by the backing she's got (especially in the American media). But that's as much down to intimidation as anything else.

I'm aware that the truth is tedious to those uncomfortable accepting it.

The backing is not surprising to anyone paying attention to the media stacked with 'Progressives' entrenched in Acceptable Narratives (identity group victimhood), and those who disagree either self-silencing or being silenced.

3 hours ago, k-ton said:

To be fair to Murray, I doubt he places himself alongside those 3 either.  Putting them to one side, he's been miles ahead of every other player over the last decade and at a level of consistency which in other eras would have given him 6 or 7 majors rather than 3.  After all, he's only ever lost in major finals to either Federer or Djokovic.  I'd certainly rank him alongside players like Edberg, McEnroe and Becker which isn't bad going.

Indeed.  He's kind of been on his own wee mezzanine tier just below the Big 3 for most of his career.  Not as good as them, but miles better than the likes of Ferrer, Berdych, Roddick, Safin, Hewitt and Wawrinka.  Despite the latter having the same amount of slams as him.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Indeed.  He's kind of been on his own wee mezzanine tier just below the Big 3 for most of his career.  Not as good as them, but miles better than the likes of Ferrer, Berdych, Roddick, Safin, Hewitt and Wawrinka.  Despite the latter having the same amount of slams as him.

Stan is, and will remain, an utter enigma. The man has only 16 career singles titles at ATP level and 3 of them are majors! He fluctuates between being a shambling, overweight mess to being a tennis god with little in between.  When he's red lining I wouldn't back any player to beat him and yet when his head's not there I think I'd have a shot at taking a few sets off him.  

Yes, Murray's tennis legacy is significantly greater and rightly so.  But I have a special place in my heart for Stan.

5 minutes ago, k-ton said:

Stan is, and will remain, an utter enigma. The man has only 16 career singles titles at ATP level and 3 of them are majors! He fluctuates between being a shambling, overweight mess to being a tennis god with little in between.  When he's red lining I wouldn't back any player to beat him and yet when his head's not there I think I'd have a shot at taking a few sets off him.  

Yes, Murray's tennis legacy is significantly greater and rightly so.  But I have a special place in my heart for Stan.

I might be talking shite but is he not the only male player ever to have more GS titles than Masters titles?  Guys like Cilic have one each.  Can't think of anyone else.

39 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I might be talking shite but is he not the only male player ever to have more GS titles than Masters titles?  Guys like Cilic have one each.  Can't think of anyone else.

Gaston Gaudio has one major and zero masters.  Can't think of any other likely candidates immediately.

ETA - Kafelnikov too apparently (2 majors and 0 masters)

Edited by k-ton

1 minute ago, k-ton said:

Gaston Gaudio has one major and zero masters.  Can't think of any other likely candidates immediately.

Ah I always forget about him.  It was Coria who he beat in the final of the French who won a couple of Masters.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Seems to me the public/media narrative has now become cemented and it's favourable to Williams v unfavourable to the 'sexist' umpire. Question now is what impact it has on Ramos' career.

I hope it doesn't have an impact on his career.  He is an umpire unafraid to make tough decisions.  He once gave Novak a warning for pretending to throw his racquet at him.  Novak then was as angry as Serena, but unlike Serena he accepted it and didn't question his integrity.    He also didn't follow it up with further brat like action.

Anyone with a nouse of intelligence should be able to see Williams acted like a twat. Angry as she may have been, you can’t publicly blow up, especially in a slam final. Ramos was within his rights and within the rules to do what he did. There’s no wrong on his part at all, she’s just used to getting her own way for too long.

It raises an interesting question, say that was a female umpire what would the reaction or even outcome have been?