Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

13 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Even if he is finished what memories we have of him. That Wimbledon victory was just fantastic

If he never plays competitively again it wouldn’t bother me as he’s achieved monumental things at a time when 3 of the best players ever to have played the game have been at their peak. Me and my mum used to sit up to all hours of the night/morning when he was playing at the Australian Open. Helped that he was an exciting player to watch and was usually involved in great matches. 

Murray has pain in his back during his Wimbledon 2013 title win, and has played with some kind of pain throughout his career.  Pain less than a year after surgery is somewhat normal.  I certainly wouldn't write him off yet.  But he has spoiled us all.

His Brisbane matches should be interesting.  He will face Duckworth and then Medvedev and then he will be seeded to face Raonic and then Nadal.  So we will get some idea of where he is at if he can get into the QF or SF.

I thought he might try and soldier on as far as Wimbledon but I can see him calling it a day if he gets put out by someone lowly ranked at the AO, or draws one of the top seeds and gets blown away. 

No point in coming back for him to be 84 in the world. 

Do you think he'd consider a run in doubles with his brother? Not as physically demanding as the singles game, They've always performed well together in Davis cup games. Maybe a chance to claim a few more grand slam trophies with his brother?

I thought he might try and soldier on as far as Wimbledon but I can see him calling it a day if he gets put out by someone lowly ranked at the AO, or draws one of the top seeds and gets blown away. 

No point in coming back for him to be 84 in the world. 

I think he might actually be expecting that to happen tbh, I think he'll give it at least 6 months if he feels the injury has healed. He is way off match sharpness and no amount of winter training camps will fix that, he needs competitive matches, and of course the only way he will get more is to start winning a few. He didn't show any sign of the limp which he seemed to have at times last year.

Well Medvedev (most wins on hard court in 2018) has carried on his good form and made the final tomorrow.  Defeated Murray, Raonic and Tsonga so I wouldn't read too much into Murray's loss yet.  Murray's main problem was the length on his returns, he was dropping them short allowing Medvedev to fully unwind with his forehand and backhands.  He can generate a lot of power, and leaving the ball short isn't going to end well.

Murray's movement seems to be a lot better than it was, although if he is going to be competitive, he will need to shorten points.  He did serve and volley more often than he would have done before.  He really lacks confidence in his body right now.  Only match wins will give him that.  He needs luck with draws to allow that to happen.  Top 32 by Wimbledon would see him get a grass court seedings boost.

The Australian Open draw later in the week will be interesting.  He will definitely be drawn against a seed in either Round One or Round Two.

He got destroyed by Djokovic in a practice match earlier. He's just been drawn against Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round. Roberto was excellent last week winning the Qatar Open, taking out Wawrinka, Djokovic & Berdych in doing so. There's no doubt in my mind Murray's going out in the first round. Probably should just call it a day instead of trying to suffer on. He's got nothing to prove at this point.

2 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

He got destroyed by Djokovic in a practice match earlier. He's just been drawn against Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round. Roberto was excellent last week winning the Qatar Open, taking out Wawrinka, Djokovic & Berdych in doing so. There's no doubt in my mind Murray's going out in the first round. Probably should just call it a day instead of trying to suffer on. He's got nothing to prove at this point.

Sad but probably true :( 

He’s going to carry on at least to Wimbledon. Leyton Hewitt is still kicking about on the doubles tour after two hip surgeries.

There will be a place for him on the tennis tour no matter his level.