Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I think we can absolutely call Djokovic the GOAT of men’s tennis now. People will say he vultured a load of slams after Federer and Nadal were finished at the top level, but similarly Fed vultured a load of slams in the weak 2003-2006 period, and Djokovic has a winning record over both of the other guys. For me it’s conclusive. 

Pretty good win for GB in the Davis Cup to go through to the finals that will be played in November.  The draw is on Wednesday I think and could be drawn against Serbia or Italy.

For me Novak has been the GOAT since he won all four in a row playing perfect tennis.  As his physicality has declined he has adapted his game more and more.  He’ll still be in a good place to challenge for all four next year too.  Should wipe Court’s 24 from the record books.

I can't believe it, I've seen 3 GOATS, since I saw (what I thought) would be the unassailable GOAT that was Pistol Pete!

Djokovic, is now on his own...  He might be a complete mentalist, but his tennis has spoken for itself.  (He still can't hit an overhead for shyt though) 😀

Had he not been some sort of loonball (vaccine twat, ball-abuser) I think he could well have had another 2 slams!  

Oh and before you get the wrong impression.  I really like Djokovic!

Yours

aDONis

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/09/2023 at 13:56, TheScarf said:

I don't think Djokovic has ever played in a 'weak' era. 2002-2006 can definitely be described as one. 

Go on any tennis forum and you'll see that loads of folk consider the past 6 or so years a weak era in tennis.

For me it doesn't take anything away from Djokovic's achievements. He's 100% the GOAT and I don't feel there's a strong argument against him any more.

• 2 weeks later...

I stuck the Murray match on at 5-2 in the third there, painful viewing. That’s twice he’s lost from that scoreline to the same player in the past month. He obviously doesn’t have the shot making capabilities, strength or movement that he used to but it’s starting to feel like he’s lost that mental edge as well? getting broken 3 times in a row is just horrendous.

I've been having a think about his career. Am I right in saying he only beat any of the big 3 in a grand slam match 4 times? 

Nadal in the 2008 US Open SF

Federer at the 2013 Australian Open SF

Djokovic at the 2012 US Open F and the 2013 Wimbledon F? 

I'd have to go and check but I think that's it. 

On 30/10/2023 at 16:27, Miguel Simao said:

I stuck the Murray match on at 5-2 in the third there, painful viewing. That’s twice he’s lost from that scoreline to the same player in the past month. He obviously doesn’t have the shot making capabilities, strength or movement that he used to but it’s starting to feel like he’s lost that mental edge as well? getting broken 3 times in a row is just horrendous.

On 03/11/2023 at 14:43, TheScarf said:

I was thinking that too.  I think mentally he's retired.  I reckon he'll finish at either Wimbledon or the US Open next year.

On 09/11/2023 at 07:30, TheScarf said:

I've been having a think about his career. Am I right in saying he only beat any of the big 3 in a grand slam match 4 times? 

Murray calls it a day with Lendl.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/nov/10/andy-murray-splits-from-coach-ivan-lendl-after-difficult-season-tennis

Edited by Florentine_Pogen
Can't spell Lendl.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/11/2023 at 07:30, TheScarf said:

He beat Nadal in Australia before Lendl came on board the first time.

The thing people forget when comparing head to heads is that even when Murray wasn't playing well he never really had a shock exit apart from maybe Kevin Anderson in US Open 2015.  He worked and grinded out through the field until he met the big three.  Nadal and Federer were out there losing to Fognini, Seppi, Berdych, Tsonga, Muller, Ferrer, Darcis, Rosol and Stakhovski before they were seeded to face Murray.  In 2014 he went 0-9 against them.  Murray has only played Nadal once off clay since 2011, usually as he couldn't get past a jobber.

Two of the most surprising things about Murray's career - he never played Federer on clay and he never played Nadal being coached by Lendl.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Andy playing great, going a set up 6-4

2nd set still going 5-5, with a break each🤞🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

This aged well.  Lost next 3 service games and break points down in the next one.

Edited by Left Back

He faded badly in the 3rd against the younger player who has played really well in the last 12 months. The 1st set was encouraging however. The serve out wide won him a lot of cheap points.

15 minutes ago, Left Back said:

This aged well.  Lost next 3 service games and break points down in the next one.

The end of that 2nd set was pretty epic. Murray with an amazing trademark lob to go break point up, then going back to deuce with a fantastic shot from Dimitrov with broken strings.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind draw for Andy, in the first two rounds at least. If you’re going to get a seed in the first round you’d want someone like Etcheverry.  He’s a clay courter who’s never been beyond the second round of a slam that isn’t the French Open.
I expect Andy will win that and he will probably get Monfils in the next round, which will be more of a challenge. The Frenchman is long past it too - he's even older than Andy - but will still carry a threat. 
If he wins that it does get a bit tougher, Murray is in line to play Novak Djokovic in round three.

image.png.b1478caff438371ad0b7651071d392b8.png

Edited by Lex