Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

It was all too easy in the end apart from a wobble on match point where a fan screamed and put him off a put away.

Absolute brilliance from Carlos, just never made it easy for Novak, and Novak just didn’t have the speed or movement to stop the onslaught.

Too soon after surgery to expect to beat Alcaraz, but fair fucks to Novak he is clearly still one of the best.  If he never had to have the surgery it may have been different.  He should be better physically by the US Open.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

They're talking about Djokovic like he's not a 37 year old who hasn't won a title, reached a final or beat a top-10 player since November last year and who was 13th in the world so far this year before Wimbledon.

I think a peak Djokovic, Federer or Nadal beats Alcaraz 8 times out of 10.

Alcatraz is 21, it’s another 6 or 7 years until he reaches his peak.

43 minutes ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

Alcatraz is 21, it’s another 6 or 7 years until he reaches his peak.

Players don't all have their peak at the same age, genetics comes into it too. I'd say Nadal's peak was 2006-2011 when he was 20 to 25. He won his first Wimbledon just after he turned 22, that was his 5th slam.

No idea how much more is to come from Alcaraz, of course, but I think he's benefited from missing the era of the goats. Guys like Medvedev could have done what Alcaraz has achieved.

Has alcarez been slightly lucky that the boys 5-10 years ahead of him haven't been great? Yeah possibly but the boy is fucking good.  I can't remember many saying federer was lucky to come in as the 90s guys came to the end of their career. 

No surprise, Alcaraz is simply a better player than Djokovic at the moment. 
His numbers and potential are terrifying. I think it’s now beyond doubt that he’s the best 21 year old in the history of the game, if he retired tomorrow he’d be remembered as a great. 
We’ve rightly spent the summer eulogising Andy Murray’s great career. He retired on three slams on two surfaces, Alcaraz already has four over all three surfaces. He turned 21 a couple of months ago.

For comparison Djokovic had one slam when he turned 23, at this rate Alcaraz could be in double figures when he’s 23. 

The scariest thing when you’re watching him is that he plays like a 21 year old. He does a lot of daft things, we’ve seen it throughout the tournament. He dropped two sets to Tiafoe, one to Paul, one to Humbert, one to Medvedev and he didn’t play well in the third set today either.

He starts going for the wrong shot and his head goes a bit. The kind of mistakes you see almost every 21 year old player make. The kind of mistakes that get made less and less with experience. 
His coaches have alluded to that too, that he’s playing at about 80% of his potential. Which is normal, which is why you don’t see many kids his age winning slams, never mind winning four of them. 
If his development is normal in five or six years he will still be making all the shots he is today with all the physical power and attributes he has today, but he will be making less daft mistakes.

The only question now is his longevity. If he’s still competing at the sharp end of slams when he’s 37 - like Djokovic is - he’ll be in the mid 30’s on slam count by then, long past Djokovics record. 

Or maybe he hits an injury crisis and never wins another one, who can say. He’ll be favourite to retain the US Open next month regardless.

On 14/07/2024 at 15:41, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Absolute lovely seeing the jock getting his arse handed to him. Lovely.

Murray wasn't playing m8?

Will need to rename this thread once he retires? Had a great career and I would say the greatest Scottish sportsman of my lifetime. The only maybe slight regret is Australian Open to get to the final 5 times and never won it - v Federer / Djokovic though to be fair!

Edited by Shannon

Nishokori and Taro Daniel made quick work of that first set against Murray and Evans, 6-2.

Unless there’s a big turnaround we are looking at the last match of Andy’s career.