Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

If he wins tomorrow, plus in Vienna, Paris and the World Tour Finals, he'll finish year end number one I'm sure? Winning all those tournaments is a big ask, obviously, but the way he's going about things just now it certainly doesn't seem impossible.

Is that all not predicated on beating Djokovic in the final of each though? If Djokovic goes out early somewhere down the line is there not a bit of leeway?

If he wins tomorrow, plus in Vienna, Paris and the World Tour Finals, he'll finish year end number one I'm sure? Winning all those tournaments is a big ask, obviously, but the way he's going about things just now it certainly doesn't seem impossible.

He will be 915 points behind in rankings for the year if he wins tomorrow

30 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

He will be 915 points behind in rankings for the year if he wins tomorrow

Yeah but he will have 275 points dropping from the Davis Cup after the World Tour Finals.  So he could go ahead of Djokovic after the WTF and be World Number 1 for a week and then have the year end number one taken away when that points drop :lol:

1 minute ago, The-coo-shed said:

What a point by Murray to win the first set. Top quality. He has looked knackered all week and still hasn't dropped a set! Kyrgios would do well to look at Murray's attitude over this tournament.

He`d do well to look at his attitude over his entire career.

I wonder what his strategy will be going into the final weeks of the season here. If he plays Vienna he's got a good chance of picking up the 500 points, but doing so would possibly create fatigue which would affect him for Paris and the WTF, which obviously have more points at stake.

It's an interesting dilemma for Andy. I think he'll play Vienna and go for it all right now. Or at least, I'd hope he will, as he's playing at a high level currently and Novak is clearly not at his best. World #1 would be a fitting way to end what has been a fantastic year.

I wonder what his strategy will be going into the final weeks of the season here. If he plays Vienna he's got a good chance of picking up the 500 points, but doing so would possibly create fatigue which would affect him for Paris and the WTF, which obviously have more points at stake.

It's an interesting dilemma for Andy. I think he'll play Vienna and go for it all right now. Or at least, I'd hope he will, as he's playing at a high level currently and Novak is clearly not at his best. World #1 would be a fitting way to end what has been a fantastic year.

I can't see him not going for it in Vienna tbh, he only has 4 500 events counting towards his ranking from the 6 he is allowed, any points he picks up will help if Djokovic takes the week off.

53 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I can't see him not going for it in Vienna tbh, he only has 4 500 events counting towards his ranking from the 6 he is allowed, any points he picks up will help if Djokovic takes the week off.

That's not quite true.  The top 30 commitment players can only have four 500 events that count toward their ranking.  They then can have two 250 events to make up the six.  But as you said Murray hasn't any in these slots.  Vienna will replace Murray's 0 from Basel last year when it drops.  Vienna doesn't have anyone too scary - Berdych, Thiem, Agut, Ferrer all players he beats routinely now.  Like you said i think he will go for it.

He has a weeks rest before that starts, then straight into Paris then a weeks rest before the WTF.  

The last Olympics had 750 points on offer for the winner (400 points for 2008 in the old ranking system).  I wouldn't say he was screwed by the fact the ITF and ATP had a falling out.  It was known months before the Olympics that there was no points on offer for ITF events (Olympics and Davis Cup)..  He could have opted to skip it and play Toronto.