Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Berretini continues with the unforced errors and Djokovic just makes sure he makes Berretini play another shot.  He now leads with a double break, and unless Berretini starts making his shots he could be down and out in the next twenty minutes.

Edited to add: by down and out I mean one set all and a break down in the third set.  Difficult to come back from there.  Federer is sitting at home right now asking why this Novak didn't turn up in 14. 15 or 19.

Edited by Loki

One set all then. Great match so far, keep thinking Novak is going to stretch his legs and take control but the Italian is hanging in there. Djokovic had to work hard for that set, even from 5-1 up.
Feel like Matteo needs the third set to have any chance here though, can’t see him winning this from 2-1 down.

Early consolidated break for Djokovic in the third. Looks like he’s getting in the mood now and moving through the gears. He’s really starting to read and return that big Italian serve.
Berretini needs a quick break back I think, or this could be over fairly quickly.

Novak finally found his level in that last two sets.  Well deserved and without a doubt the GOAT of the men’s game.

The US Open left to claim.  

Another fairly routine slam from Novak, only dropped two sets the entire tournament.
Think he played within himself throughout, there was always another gear there if he was in trouble. He never was though, so he didn’t need it.
That’s his third title here in a row and he would surely already be on 21 slams if COVID hadn’t stopped Wimbledon in 2020.
No matter, I’m sure he will win the US next month and go ahead Nadal and Fed to clarify his status as the all time goat - as long as he doesn’t try to decapitate any line judges.
These young 20 something guys will surely start beating him some day, but it’s fairly hard to see it happening any time soon. They seem to fear him.
He’s in great shape and he looks like he’s got at least another couple of years at this level in him. I think he is going to end up on 25+ slams, 30 is certainly not out of reach.

Another fairly routine slam from Novak, only dropped two sets the entire tournament.
Think he played within himself throughout, there was always another gear there if he was in trouble. He never was though, so he didn’t need it.
That’s his third title here in a row and he would surely already be on 21 slams if COVID hadn’t stopped Wimbledon in 2020.
No matter, I’m sure he will win the US next month and go ahead Nadal and Fed to clarify his status as the all time goat - as long as he doesn’t try to decapitate any line judges.
These young 20 something guys will surely start beating him some day, but it’s fairly hard to see it happening any time soon. They seem to fear him.
He’s in great shape and he looks like he’s got at least another couple of years at this level in him. I think he is going to end up on 25+ slams, 30 is certainly not out of reach.

30 is way out of reach, tbh I think he will finish on 23-24.
And sue barker so unprofessional with question re. Football. Joker made her look like an idiot although not that hard.
And please can Andrew Castle stop commentating. Brings absolutely nothing but suspicion

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Is Novak going to Tokyo?

He could win a Golden Slam, only Steffi Graf has done that before.

I believe he is, sure it was mentioned before/during the match today.

That had an air of a Murray v Djokovic in a slam final.  Murray wins the first set which wakes the Serb up and it becomes a routine win after that.

30 is way out of reach, tbh I think he will finish on 23-24.
And sue barker so unprofessional with question re. Football. Joker made her look like an idiot although not that hard.
And please can Andrew Castle stop commentating. Brings absolutely nothing but suspicion

He’s just turned 34 and he’s won four grand slams in a row. It would surely have been more had either Wimbledon happened last year or if he had aimed that ball away from the line judge at the US open.
He could have 25 by the end of next year at the rate he is going just now. The hard court is his best surface and the next two are on that at the US and Australian - where he always wins.
Rafa used to be able to beat him at Rolland Garros but even he couldn’t stop him winning that this year, and now the Spaniards injuries seem to be getting worse and I suspect he has won his last major.
I don’t know who knocks him out in the next two years. It needs to be one of the guys in their mid twenties who should be peaking about now. Can you see someone like Zverev or Medvedev beating him in a grand slam? It’s just hard to picture. He’s got them all on toast.

On 12/07/2021 at 09:29, Lex said:

He’s just turned 34 and he’s won four grand slams in a row. It would surely have been more had either Wimbledon happened last year or if he had aimed that ball away from the line judge at the US open.
He could have 25 by the end of next year at the rate he is going just now. The hard court is his best surface and the next two are on that at the US and Australian - where he always wins.
Rafa used to be able to beat him at Rolland Garros but even he couldn’t stop him winning that this year, and now the Spaniards injuries seem to be getting worse and I suspect he has won his last major.
I don’t know who knocks him out in the next two years. It needs to be one of the guys in their mid twenties who should be peaking about now. Can you see someone like Zverev or Medvedev beating him in a grand slam? It’s just hard to picture. He’s got them all on toast.

Thing is, as you say he's just turned 34. His game heavily relies on his athleticism and in particular his incredible flexibility. At some point soon his muscles are going to start tightening, his ligaments lose their elasticity. It may start to be noticeable next year, it may be 5 years away if he's very lucky. But it's in the post, and when it comes, the main source of his advantage over the chasing pack will be gone.

He could average 2-3 slams a year for four years and make 30, but I don't think he will. It's incredibly hard to stay at the top for that long and Djokovic's slams have come in waves. After his triple in 2011 he only won one each year in 2012, '13 and '14. From Wimbledon 2014 to RG 2016 he won 6 out of 8, then none for over 2 years. He could have another dip at any time.

Of course, if he does dip he doesn't have a peak Federer, Nadal or Murray waiting to scoop up the prizes. But the younger lads are slowly getting better all the time and who knows which of them could make it all click, as Djokovic did in 2011, and start winning big things. Players often have a moment in their career where they unlock the level above them.

My guess is that he'll probably break Margaret Court's record, but 30 would be a huge stretch.