Raith Rovers v Morton

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The celebrations from the players say it all. McKeown's going fucking mental after the winner! Brilliant! Still no idea as to why the disallowed goal was chalked off!

It looks to me like Daly was preventing his marker from jumping, he had his arm round the guy. Madden was talking to him after the Whistle was blown.

Didn't realise it was Thomson who scored the disallowed goal too - he just wouldn't be denied. Glorious!

Scenes.

Sat in the main stand as when the bar closed at 2:45 I couldn't face the walk to the south stand. Decent enough view, especially of the second half.

Fucking scenes when the goal went in. Brilliant.

Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it ya fucking Weegie bams.

Errr, "Weegie"?? Kirkcaldy is almost exactly the same distance from the middle of Edinburgh as Greenock is from the middle of Glasgow.

So, thicko, who's the bam?

'Outfield superiority' is precisely the sort of utterly meaningless, happy-clapping terminology that ought to prevent you from ever darkening the door of a serious Cappielow boardroom. Roll on the Easedales' takeover then when you at least will be permanently hounded out of this once-proud football club.

Aahh, pet.

Feel better now? X

Errr, "Weegie"?? Kirkcaldy is almost exactly the same distance from the middle of Edinburgh as Greenock is from the middle of Cappielow.

Same distance as Greenock is from the middle of Cappielow?!?! So bam, who's the thicko?

I think Morton fans collectively need to drop the delusion that we're going to be safe and aren't in any danger of relegation. Yes, we look a better team than Alloa and Livingston, but if you're only winning two games out of nine and fail to improve on that over the course of the season you are going to be in a relegation battle. If we continue to fail to beat anyone other than those two then it's only going to take one of them having one good run, as Livingston did last season, to catch us. For what it's worth I do think we'll stay up, but it's a nervous prediction as opposed to a confident statement: if we don't start being clinical and winning games relegation is a very real possibility.

Anyway, the briefest way to sum up yesterday is to say that Raith are an effective, clinical side while Morton were incompetent and toothless despite being competitive for the majority of the game. The best team won and we can have no complaints.

The first half was a very familiar story - dominate possession with the bulk of it in the opposition's half and create absolutely nothing with it. When that happens and you're 1-0 down at half-time you aren't unlucky, you're toothless in attack and when the goal has came through a basic set-piece you've failed to deal with, you're incompetent in defence. Raith went forward far less than we did but always looked threatening, with Gaston making an excellent save to keep it at 0-0 then a goal-line clearance as well before they finally got the goal.

Raith are a good side so I don't want to make out that they could only score through our incompetence rather than their own effectiveness - they knew exactly what they were doing with where they wanted to put crosses into the box and the runs they were making for them as opposed to our 'stick it in the box and hope for the best' approach - but losing a goal to a second ball from a corner in your own six yard box just isn't acceptable.

We simply didn't look like scoring in the second half, with the rare occasions that Johnstone and Samuel found some space resulting in nothing as Toshney would appear out of nowhere and make a tremendous tackle almost every time. Some player. Failing that, McKeown and Craigen knew when to take a booking for a tactical foul to stop us breaking, but really we just didn't have much of a threat. Benedictus then handed us a corner completely unnecessarily and our twat it into the box and hope for the best approach finally resulted in a goal.

At that point I felt we more likely to go and win the game: Raith had got to the point at 1-0 where they just wanted to sit in and see the game out so I thought the momentum would be with us, but we immediately retreated to camping 30 yards from our own goal and inviting pressure, allowing Raith to take the initiative again. Massively disappointed with that. Once again it was a poor goal to concede from a set-piece in stoppage time, having been bailed out by the referee (Sir Robert of Madden) from a set-piece a few minutes before that.

We've given every side other than Rangers a close game while only losing three out of nine, which is far better than most of us thought we'd be and gives hope that we're not far from being a comfortable mid-table side as opposed to relegation strugglers. However, if we're going to avoid the relegation battle we absolutely need to stop conceding late goals, start capitalising on periods of dominance and most importantly learn to defend crosses into our box. You can't expect to never concede goals in that fashion, but it's already happened far too many times this season.

I think Morton fans collectively need to drop the delusion that we're going to be safe and aren't in any danger of relegation. Yes, we look a better team than Alloa and Livingston, but if you're only winning two games out of nine and fail to improve on that over the course of the season you are going to be in a relegation battle. If we continue to fail to beat anyone other than those two then it's only going to take one of them having one good run, as Livingston did last season, to catch us. For what it's worth I do think we'll stay up, but it's a nervous prediction as opposed to a confident statement: if we don't start being clinical and winning games relegation is a very real possibility.

Anyway, the briefest way to sum up yesterday is to say that Raith are an effective, clinical side while Morton were incompetent and toothless despite being competitive for the majority of the game. The best team won and we can have no complaints.

The first half was a very familiar story - dominate possession with the bulk of it in the opposition's half and create absolutely nothing with it. When that happens and you're 1-0 down at half-time you aren't unlucky, you're toothless in attack and when the goal has came through a basic set-piece you've failed to deal with, you're incompetent in defence. Raith went forward far less than we did but always looked threatening, with Gaston making an excellent save to keep it at 0-0 then a goal-line clearance as well before they finally got the goal.

Raith are a good side so I don't want to make out that they could only score through our incompetence rather than their own effectiveness - they knew exactly what they were doing with where they wanted to put crosses into the box and the runs they were making for them as opposed to our 'stick it in the box and hope for the best' approach - but losing a goal to a second ball from a corner in your own six yard box just isn't acceptable.

We simply didn't look like scoring in the second half, with the rare occasions that Johnstone and Samuel found some space resulting in nothing as Toshney would appear out of nowhere and make a tremendous tackle almost every time. Some player. Failing that, McKeown and Craigen knew when to take a booking for a tactical foul to stop us breaking, but really we just didn't have much of a threat. Benedictus then handed us a corner completely unnecessarily and our twat it into the box and hope for the best approach finally resulted in a goal.

At that point I felt we more likely to go and win the game: Raith had got to the point at 1-0 where they just wanted to sit in and see the game out so I thought the momentum would be with us, but we immediately retreated to camping 30 yards from our own goal and inviting pressure, allowing Raith to take the initiative again. Massively disappointed with that. Once again it was a poor goal to concede from a set-piece in stoppage time, having been bailed out by the referee (Sir Robert of Madden) from a set-piece a few minutes before that.

We've given every side other than Rangers a close game while only losing three out of nine, which is far better than most of us thought we'd be and gives hope that we're not far from being a comfortable mid-table side as opposed to relegation strugglers. However, if we're going to avoid the relegation battle we absolutely need to stop conceding late goals, start capitalising on periods of dominance and most importantly learn to defend crosses into our box. You can't expect to never concede goals in that fashion, but it's already happened far too many times this season.

You really need to stop being so sensible Dunning.

Just watched the highlights. O'Hare giving it big licks at the goal and Bobby Barr booting the ball into the stand at full time are personal highlights.

I particularly enjoyed Jason knocking Pepper into the net like he was bagging onions.

Wasn't at the game but was their any reason for O'Ware giving it big licks to the home fans after his goal?

Absolutely loving the passion and fight this squad we have seem to be putting in this year. Lightyears ahead of the past few seasons.

Wasn't at the game but was their any reason for O'Ware giving it big licks to the home fans after his goal?

Seems to be a growing trend in a lot of places. Strikes me as a bit weird, but it's definitely becoming a bit of a thing when scoring in front of opposition fans.

To get it right up them. Big Tam is a fiery character and should be wearing the armband in place of the imposter that lined up beside him in the defence.

Errr, "Weegie"?? Kirkcaldy is almost exactly the same distance from the middle of Edinburgh as Greenock is from the middle of Glasgow.

As obvious and transparent as it is when you try to wind up the Morton supporters about being from the Weeg, there's always one idiot who chomps down on the bait like they've never used the internet before.

Good post, Dunning.

I'd be very surprised to see Morton struggling to stay up. Don't think they'll threaten the promotion play-offs but I reckon they'll be safe with a good few games left.

As obvious and transparent as it is when you try to wind up the Morton supporters about being from the Weeg, there's always one idiot who chomps down on the bait like they've never used the internet before.

Good post, Dunning.

I'd be very surprised to see Morton struggling to stay up. Don't think they'll threaten the promotion play-offs but I reckon they'll be safe with a good few games left.

so, you weren't being thick, you were being smart. Riigghhttt..............

;)

Archived