T in the Park

Poet of the Macabre

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure that the possibility of violence, illicit drug taking or binge drinking excludes something from being a cultural event. The GBX and Colours both have the same valid claim to being cultural events as whatever's on at the GFT or the Royal Conservatoire.

How can anyone afford to binge drink at T in the Park?

Fairly sure I managed to spend under 40 quid for a carry out and I never went more than an hour (sleeping excluded obvs) without something to keep the buzz going over the 4 days. You do know T allow drink to be taken in and their security over anything else is, being honest, quite relaxed don't you?

Not sure that the possibility of violence, illicit drug taking or binge drinking excludes something from being a cultural event. The GBX and Colours both have the same valid claim to being cultural events as whatever's on at the GFT or the Royal Conservatoire.

Didn't stop the Archies from getting shut down

The SNP are not about criticism, sadly some are unable to see this

Does this mean that Beer festivals in Germany aren't cultural events now, or Roskilde in Denmark, even Glastonbury? You can go to the Edinburgh fringe for a day to get smashed in the same manner as you could at T in Park.

Of course T in the Park is a cultural event. I don't really have a view one way or another about Hyslop's conduct in this because I haven't really followed it that much, but if that's the basis of the argument against her, then it's a pretty daft one.

We're not in Germany.

T in the park is not a cultural event, comparing it with the Edinburgh fringe is ridiculous

Unbelievable amount of straw clutching coming from posters on this thread.

The government makes a big issue about Scotland's issues with alcohol.

But they'll put money into T in the Park as it brings in money.

Very good

I managed to get blootered pretty much every night at T the last time I was there. Just make sure you set aside a pretty decent amount of money for it and yer sorted. And I clearly wasn't the only one. People were either chewing their own faces off or steaming.

EDIT: Worth noting that the exceptions seemed to be mainly families with young children, and there was a lot more of that sort there than I could ever remember being there before.

We're not in Germany.

T in the park is not a cultural event, comparing it with the Edinburgh fringe is ridiculous

Very good

Rico, straw clutching is exactly how I see your posts on this.

We're not in Germany.

Very good

In what way is comparing Edinburgh Fringe and T in the Park ridiculous? Both sell copious amounts of alcohol at the venues, both show case worldwide artists, one mostly for comedy/theatre the other for music. Both attract huge crowds, and not just from Scotland. Just because one has more pomp than the other doesn't mean the 'earthier' event isn't cultural.

Here's the definition of culture;

Culture is the characteristics and knowledge of a particular group of people, defined by everything from language, religion, cuisine, social habits, music and arts

So... T in the Park is clearly a cultural event. :lol:

So you support the Scottish government double standards when it comes to Scotland's attitude towards alcohol?

Thats what it is.

To describe T in the park as a culture event is laughable at best,

I don't know any culture events in Scotland that has issues with drinking, drugs, violence, attempted rapes/sexual assaults/ murder, theft, etc...

In response to this question, I can provide you with the following figures which

represent the number of arrests at the 2014 T in the Park music festival:

- 13 Drugs Offences

- 7 Thefts

- 12 Assaults

- 2 Fraudulent Scheme

- 8 Warrants

- 1 Bail

- 8 Breach of Peace

- 1 Sex Offence

Crime stats from T in the Park.

Are you employed by the Daily Record? They seem to employ the same brainless hyperbole you do.

I suspect that if you looked at a list of major cultural events and organisations in Scotland there would be very few which are not sponsored by alcohol firms in one way or another and which do not receive money directly or indirectly from the taxpayer.

Curiously, Enrico is not outraged by any of the others, only TITP.

Strange child.

Had no idea we had so many SNP fanboys in here.

SNP tell us, we have a bad relationship with alcohol, they're looking to bring in laws to help address this.

SNP use public money to ensure T in the park goes ahead, an event that if anyone who has been is well aware a lot of binge drinking happens.

You're deluded if you can't see how this is double standards

If the Scottish government are serious about tackling the alcohol problem they shouldn't be using public cash to ensure events such as T in the park go ahead, just because it brings in money.

That's almost as bad as saying trident should be renewed because it provides jobs.

Can't have your cake and eat it.

SNP tell us, we have a bad relationship with alcohol, they're looking to bring in laws to help address this.

SNP use public money to ensure T in the park goes ahead, an event that if anyone who has been is well aware a lot of binge drinking happens.

If the Scottish government are serious about tackling the alcohol problem they shouldn't be using public cash to ensure events such as T in the park go ahead, just because it brings in money.

That's almost as bad as saying trident should be renewed because it provides jobs.

Just repeating pish doesn't make it real, chum.

I would assume from this post that you are in favour of restricting alcohol whereas you actually want to opposite.

Archived