Michelle Thomson

Mr Bairn

I'm confused as to why the party whip has been withdrawn while a criminal investigation, which as Colkitto points out is not specifically into her actings, is being undertaken. I can understand withdrawal from the spokesperson role, though I'd note that often ministers in the past have only stepped down once the police investigation has advanced specifically to them, and in, say, Chris Huhne's case, it only happened once he was charged.

Does this mean that the SNP is conducting its own investigation in parallel to the police one? If the SNP one finds no wrong-doing but the police one leads to further action, wouldn't that create a rather awkward situation for them? And if it's going to report after the police matter is resolved, then what's the point?

The SNP are a bit new to all this, perhaps you could advise them? What did the Lib Dems do when Jeremy was hiring hitmen, Cyril was a-raping and Chris was pretending his wife was driving?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If she has been found guilty she can get fucked. I want every one of my SNP MP's to be squeaky clean.

Here's her last couple of tweets with Unionist nutter Kevin Hague enjoying the fun:

@STVNews ur headline said I had been suspended from SNP then main item said I had taken myself out - latter correct. Let's be clear.

69 retweets 36 favorites
  1. @MichelleThomson @STVNews Genuine question: is resigning whip the same as leaving the party?

1 retweet 2 favorites
  2. @kevverage @STVNews in effect due to rules of party - but hopefully a temporary situation. Still SNP!

Be interesting to see how this develops.

I'm confused as to why the party whip has been withdrawn while a criminal investigation, which as Colkitto points out is not specifically into her actings, is being undertaken. I can understand withdrawal from the spokesperson role, though I'd note that often ministers in the past have only stepped down once the police investigation has advanced specifically to them, and in, say, Chris Huhne's case, it only happened once he was charged.

Does this mean that the SNP is conducting its own investigation in parallel to the police one? If the SNP one finds no wrong-doing but the police one leads to further action, wouldn't that create a rather awkward situation for them? And if it's going to report after the police matter is resolved, then what's the point?

Think it's a lot more simplistic than that. If the SNP suspends her then she has to wait 2 years before she can apply to become a member again.

If she resigned from the party then she could theoretically re-join next week.

With a Police investigation anything is possible, so better to come out the party till the investigation is complete. If she is charged etc then she is not a member of the SNP, if the investigation comes to nothing then she can be readmitted quite quickly back into the party

I joined the department that she used to manage in Standard Life about three months after she left. She recruited a lot of my colleagues. All of them were very positive about her.

There does seem to be something a bit dodgy about these property deals, whether they were criminal or not I'm not qualified to say. I do wonder why people who have these dealings decide to go into politics. Do they not think that they'll be looked at?

Happy to be guided by the findings of the investigation. If it turns out she has acted illegally or immorally she can GTF. I think the right action has been taken by her resigning whilst the investigation is ongoing, therby she doesn't officially represent the SNP at any level for the time being.

Certainly not a good situation though and both she and the party deserve criticism for it. However, on a day when it was confirmed that another MP who still represents their party and hasn't stepped back has a case to answer in a criminal court, I find it a bit strange that she is all over the front pages of pretty much all the media when she isn't even being investigated by police.

Gonna be tough finding the true story amongst the sensation I fear. Media criticism aside, the SNP have to do the right thing here. So far they appear to be acting accordingly.

Happy to be guided by the findings of the investigation. If it turns out she has acted illegally or immorally she can GTF. I think the right action has been taken by her resigning whilst the investigation is ongoing, therby she doesn't officially represent the SNP at any level for the time being.

Certainly not a good situation though and both she and the party deserve criticism for it. However, on a day when it was confirmed that another MP who still represents their party and hasn't stepped back has a case to answer in a criminal court, I find it a bit strange that she is all over the front pages of pretty much all the media when she isn't even being investigated by police.

Gonna be tough finding the true story amongst the sensation I fear. Media criticism aside, the SNP have to do the right thing here. So far they appear to be acting accordingly.

I don't find it surprising at all. The media will shoot their proverbial load over this.

Please stop claiming the Police are not investigating this.......

Probe over property deals on behalf of Michelle Thomson MP

_85081309_michellethomson_pa.jpgImage copyrightPAImage captionMichelle Thomson was voted into parliament in May's general election

Police Scotland is investigating alleged irregularities with property deals carried out on behalf of the SNP MP Michelle Thomson.

The transactions, in 2010 and 2011, led to a solicitor being struck off by the Law Society of Scotland.

It referred the case to the Crown Office, which has instructed the police investigation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34395392

Please stop claiming the Police are not investigating this.......

Probe over property deals on behalf of Michelle Thomson MP

_85081309_michellethomson_pa.jpgImage copyrightPAImage captionMichelle Thomson was voted into parliament in May's general election

Police Scotland is investigating alleged irregularities with property deals carried out on behalf of the SNP MP Michelle Thomson.

The transactions, in 2010 and 2011, led to a solicitor being struck off by the Law Society of Scotland.

It referred the case to the Crown Office, which has instructed the police investigation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34395392

From the very link that you posted:

The BBC understands the initial police inquiries will not involve Ms Thomson, who was the party's business spokeswoman at Westminster.

And the next two paragraphs state;

The investigation relates to solicitor Christopher Hales who was struck of last year for professional misconduct.

He did work for Ms Thomson and it has now emerged that all 13 of the transactions he was struck off for involved her or M&F Property Solutions, a firm in which she was said to be a partner.

It is an investigation relating to her business involvements, if not her personally.

All semantics. If she guilty what you going to say 'it wasn't her it was her business that did it'....

And the next two paragraphs state;

The investigation relates to solicitor Christopher Hales who was struck of last year for professional misconduct.

He did work for Ms Thomson and it has now emerged that all 13 of the transactions he was struck off for involved her or M&F Property Solutions, a firm in which she was said to be a partner.

It is an investigation relating to her business involvements, if not her personally.

All semantics. If she guilty what you going to say 'it wasn't her it was her business that did it'....

No I am not going to say that. What I will say, is that currently the investigation is into the actions of the solicitor involved in the property deals. That is all we know. I have used a solicitor to purchase many houses during my life and I couldn't tell you if they followed the correct procedure and dotted all the "i"s and crossed all the "t"s. If you have been involved in the process then I am sure you are in the same position.

If the Law society referred your solicitor to the police for the handling of your purchase or selling of property, would you automatically accept responsibility? There is a reason why you need to employ solicitors. :rolleyes:

The SNP are a bit new to all this, perhaps you could advise them? What did the Lib Dems do when Jeremy was hiring hitmen, Cyril was a-raping and Chris was pretending his wife was driving?

Take no action until an official complaint is lodged and only conduct proceedings to the extent that they do not override or pre-empt an official police investigation. Suspend party membership only when a prima facie case exists against an individual that requires further investigation and only expel from the party if they are found to have committed a wrong for which the Constitution permits that as a sanction.

Naturally.

Think it's a lot more simplistic than that. If the SNP suspends her then she has to wait 2 years before she can apply to become a member again.

If she resigned from the party then she could theoretically re-join next week.

With a Police investigation anything is possible, so better to come out the party till the investigation is complete. If she is charged etc then she is not a member of the SNP, if the investigation comes to nothing then she can be readmitted quite quickly back into the party

It sounds pretty mental that you can't rejoin the party for 2 years if you are "suspended" pending an investigation. Surely that kind of limit should only apply for those "expelled" from the party?

The absolute most I'd have expected here is that she resigns from or is removed from, her front-bench position, and that if and only if the party launches an internal investigation or she is charged with a criminal offence, she would have the whip withdrawn from her and possibly face a temporary suspension from party membership until the disciplinary matters have run their course.

It's pretty f*ckin bad though Fide If proven, profiteering from people so desperate that they have to sell the roof over their heads at a knockdown price just to be rid of it!?

Aren't these people busy enough serving their constituents without having the time to scam money from them ffs?

It's pretty f*ckin bad though Fide If proven, profiteering from people so desperate that they have to sell the roof over their heads at a knockdown price just to be rid of it!?

Aren't these people busy enough serving their constituents without having the time to scam money from them ffs?

Whilst I'm not defending her actions as I'm of a similar opinion to you regarding her conduct, but is this not something that happened years ago, bearing in mind that the solicitor involved has already been struck off?

Archived