• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Later cars requiring you to press the clutch in when starting is a safety feature to prevent starting in gear.

A load is taken off the starter motor by disengaging the gearbox when clutch is down. My car seems to crank over quicker with the clutch down than not down when starting (I have a diesel motor)

Best as well to park in gear in the event of handbrake failure, pointing the front wheels to the kerb on a hill.

Later cars requiring you to press the clutch in when starting is a safety feature to prevent starting in gear.

A load is taken off the starter motor by disengaging the gearbox when clutch is down. My car seems to crank over quicker with the clutch down than not down when starting (I have a diesel motor)

Best as well to park in gear in the event of handbrake failure, pointing the front wheels to the kerb on a hill.

And in either first or reverse depending which end is pointing downhill.

Correct.....every time is good practice no matter what the vehicle.

How and why? May have been necessary years, and I really am talking years ago, it really isn't necessary at all in modern cars though.

I don't.

^ Kens the score.

I never press the clutch when starting engine but will start to do so. Hadn't heard about leaving the engine to run for 30 secs in a stationary position for turbo engines, another new thing for me to do.

Looking at getting my timing belt replaced now I'm up to over 60,000 miles think I can get it done for around £350.

Looking at getting my timing belt replaced now I'm up to over 60,000 miles think I can get it done for around £350.

It's advisable to get the water pump changed at the same time as the timing belt. Much of the labour that would be required to change the water pump on its own has already been done when they go to change the timing belt.

You can often get a timing belt / water pump kit at a discount compared to buying the parts separately.

My car got nicked just before Christmas and had to buy a banger in a hurry.

I bought a 2005 Skoda Superb Elegance with 102k miles on it, meticilously cared for with two owners and full service history.

What a fucking turkey, the interior may be lovely and extremely well made, the doors close with a re-assuring thud, a nice illusion of "build quality".

Serious water ingress issues, electrical contacts that disintegrate, the most unnecessarily complicated and fragile steering and suspension ever devised, wheelarches and bootlids that rust from the inside out and an automatic gearbox which upon further investigation the reverse gear is guaranteed to fail after 8 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first.

I've had French and Japanese cars that to look at, or sit in you'd think were fucked but were actually more reliable than this heap of shite. Thank f**k I paid a pittance for it and can get shot of it just imminently, I'll stick to French or Japanese ta...

Archived